The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Time for a New (& Old?) Wagon Thread!
Posted by: SteveO
Date: July 15, 2020 05:16PM
Poll
Are you a wagon aficionado?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
25 votes were received.
Mos Def 16

64%
Meh, they should've died with disco! 1

4%
You can pry my SUV from my cold, dead hands 4

16%
I'm a car person, you can keep your fifth door monstrosities 4

16%

Post pix if you got 'em! I missed sharing my wagon love in the other threads from the past year or two. My family had several wagons as I grew up, and I drove our '78 Caprice Classic (baby blue, with plaid polyester seats!) for a short time when I turned 16. That thing was a hoot in the snow as my older brother and I found out.

I drove a '76 Buick Estate Wagon on my book tour back in the early '00s; what an adventure [mostly in learning car repair] that was! This was one of GM's clamshell wagons with the receding tail gate and rear window; both worked fine in mine which was cool.

I've owned an '18.5 TourX for about 18 months and love it. GM pulled the plug (selling Opel to PSA did not do the car any favors, or GM itself imo as Opel has provided many of their platforms in recent decades) on TourX earlier this year which everyone saw coming...but I am grateful that I got mine. It checks a ton of boxes for me, including space for bikes and dogs, mpg, fine in snow and trailhead friendly, driving dynamics, easy infotainment controls (including knobs - rare these days!) and uniqueness.

Major cons for me are 1) XM infotainment presets are unstable - GM has yet to get a software update put out for this since screwing it up last November, and

2) US spec is not as full-featured as the Opel/Vauxhall/Holden wagons - GM bean counters thought we wouldn't appreciate extended thigh bolsters, cooled seats, HUD, different/larger wheels, plus higher quality seat leather, and dash materials. Apparently we are not worthy of such accoutrements here in the USA, thanks, GM!

I still feel like I came out ahead on my deal. Mine is a top-line model with every package/option except pano roof (KC heat was a factor for me there), for $10k off sticker which put me in very low $30s. I guess heavy discounting is common with GM; this is my first new GM. Yes, resale takes a hit on these but I keep my cars for 10+ years so that wasn't much of a factor for me.

Wish there were more (or any I should say) domestic wagons. Ford is rumored to be mule testing the Mondeo (the one I saw looks a lot like Outback) now for USA import next year. Hell, even foreign wagons at this point are few and far between since VW pulled out.

The new Audis and Volvos are cool, but I think are basically special order for US. BMW wagons are here no more. I've read PSA is supposed to be coming back to USA in '25, and they do have a pretty slick replacement for the Insignia/TourX that's very similar looking...but with Covid, who knows if PSA/FCA will arrive alive in '25. If they were smart, they'd bring it over here in proper sporting Euro spec and have a good niche market. Lots of people don't care for the cladding; I think it's fine but I can see their point.

Would be super cool to have a hybrid/electric wagons, I think V60/90 can be had in Europe with those. I do have some mixed feelings on electric/hybrids as the materials procurement process is not earth friendly by any stretch. I hope they can rectify this soon. Share your wagon thoughts and pix if you got 'em!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Time for a New (& Old?) Wagon Thread!
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 15, 2020 05:37PM
Hahaha...

My family of four has a single car - a 2017 golf alltrack - likely considered impossible by most. Like you, I bought it because I was enticed by a substantial discount - about $5k off msrp. It just seemed like we were getting a hell of a lot more for our money compared to anything else I drove.

We've been extremely happy with the car. Its been extremely reliable and a lot of fun to drive. I don't think I've driven a car that would tempt me away from it. I hope to have it for a long long time.

Someday the back seats will be too cramped for my two boys. We'll probably be due for a second car by then.

The TourX definitely gets respect. I wish I could take one for a spin.

I've often daydreamed about having a Volvo/Audi/BMW wagon. And then I look at the sticker price and snap out of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2020 05:44PM by mattkime.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 15, 2020 05:41PM
Got three in the drive at the moment. And my drive only fits three.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 15, 2020 05:47PM
I LOVE that Wagon. It's gorgeous. If I was in the market, I'd think about it.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: July 15, 2020 06:04PM
We have 2 in the garage. 2017 Crosstrek in HyperBlue and 2018 Crosstrek in Quartz Pearl Blue.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 15, 2020 06:12PM
I have been a huge fan of the wagon since the beginning.
My first car was a 1987 Toyota Cressida wagon, maroon. (not seen here)

My second car was another 1987 Toyota Cressida Wagon, gray:

It was the perfect car for when I was in a band, and needed to load up all the equipment for gigs, or a bunch of people in the back.

Replaced by a 99' Legacy Outback Wagon, here they are together for a brief time:

And then to a 2005 Saab 9-2X, not really a wagon, more of a hatchback:

Replaced with a 2019 Leaf, which is most decidedly NOT a wagon, but hey, times and needs change, and we also have a 2014 Prius V, which is about as Wagon as you can get these days:

No good pic of my Prius V, but it's basically this one but in Gray-

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 15, 2020 06:20PM
Light blue 1972 RX-3 wagon. I have considered buying a FD RX-7 and turning it into a wagon.

Very similar to this.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2020 06:22PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 15, 2020 06:24PM
Bah!

Ifin' it 'aint a truck, I'm not interested.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 15, 2020 06:56PM
Markintosh
We have 2 in the garage. 2017 Crosstrek in HyperBlue and 2018 Crosstrek in Quartz Pearl Blue.

Apologies, but not a wagon. CUV. Kinda of a small one.

1980 Honda Civic Wagon and Volvo XC 70 in our past.

You can get a nice 3-4 year old XC 70 for $25K or so, with under 25K miles.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2020 07:06PM by jdc.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: July 15, 2020 07:12PM
Audi RS 6 Avant, for those times when the rug rats need to get somewhere REAL fast.

[www.audiusa.com]

Posted by: Gareth
Date: July 15, 2020 07:12PM
mattkime
I've often daydreamed about having a Volvo/Audi/BMW wagon. And then I look at the sticker price and snap out of it.

Since BMW has stopped bringing the wagons into the US, you just gotta hold out for the right deal on a used one, especially on a manual which are often going up in price and can be 2-3x the price of an automatic.

So in my case, that meant buying the highest mileage example I've ever seen of a manual transmission N54 E61 (2008 535xi Touring):

And my red leather manual E46 (2001 325i Touring) that I've had for 16 years now:

Date: July 15, 2020 07:20PM
thankfully I have outgrown my "manual" phase ... heres a nice automatic =)

----

Date: July 15, 2020 07:31PM
jdc
Markintosh

I consider the Crosstrek and the Outback to both be wagons. The Crosstrek is essentially an Impreza with a lift, and the Outback is essentially a Legacy with a lift (though maybe recent versions have departed further from the Legacy). Heck, even the Forester is pretty much a lifted wagon. Sure, Subaru wants to market them as CUVs b/c they are easier to sell that way, but really, they're just onto a new trend: "Safari" all the wagons!
Posted by: Z
Date: July 15, 2020 07:35PM
I like long roofs and I cannot lie.

2-220s
Date: July 15, 2020 08:18PM
Oh HELLS YEAH! LOTS of great wagons posted in this thread! WOOT! Longroofs rule. smileys with beer

Digging them all, especially that Mazda. Sweet! And Z, what are those two you posted? Volvos?

I entertained getting a Saab 9-3 SC wagon (Viggen?) back in '07 or so before I got my RDX (not a wagon, but its durability and utility worked longed enough to lead me to the TourX). Always thought those Saab wagons were cool. Neighbor a few blocks over used to have a metallic brown Audi Avant, A4 I think...it was gorgeous, gotta love the Audi wagons. I looked into the latest Volvo V60 and V90 wagons before I got my TourX...also beautiful rides but man Volvo is proud of 'em.

They did a fantastic job on the interior materials of those; I sat in a used V90 at the Volvo dealer. It was uber plush. I think I've seen some reviewers say that they make you use the touch screen or voice commands for too much stuff in the Volvos. I can agree with that. Having a manual wagon would also be flippin' cool, digging those BMW manuals, Gareth!
Date: July 15, 2020 08:21PM
And apologies to all - I forgot to include trucks, motorcycles, bikes, e-bikes, buses, and the "I don't need no stinkin' motorized transportation" option in the poll!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2020 08:21PM by SteveO.
Date: July 15, 2020 08:30PM
Gareth
So in my case, that meant buying the highest mileage example I've ever seen of a manual transmission N54 E61 (2008 535xi Touring):

And my red leather manual E46 (2001 325i Touring) that I've had for 16 years now:

How is the maintenance on those?

This is my first car so I was nervous about getting anything that might need work.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 15, 2020 09:06PM
The Family Truckster

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 15, 2020 09:11PM
What I (legally) drove first...

What I really wanted  to drive back then...

After reality happened, the last few decades I have (proudly) been socially stigmatized as "minivan guy".....

==
Posted by: robfilms
Date: July 15, 2020 09:28PM
for 12 years all i drove were 1988-1991 peugeot rear wheel drive station wagons.

best cars i ever drove.

i got them at 50k-ish miles.

at 100k miles i traded it in for another 50k + $2-3k.

i did this for 12 years.

reds and greys.

all automatics.

two were turbos.

two were 8 seaters called sw8s.

BIG thumbs up.

stay well.

rob

(i wish i knew how to post pix! grrr...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2020 09:29PM by robfilms.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 15, 2020 09:36PM

'68 Buick SportWagon (Skylark)

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2020 09:37PM by Racer X.
Date: July 15, 2020 10:00PM
If you could ever find an original Volvo V90 in good shape, it's my opinion that those are the best wagons Volvo ever made.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 15, 2020 10:26PM
My first wagon:

My last wagon:
Date: July 15, 2020 11:01PM
mattkime
Gareth

How is the maintenance on those?

The 325i hasn't been that bad, but I do a lot of maintenance myself and have a good indy mechanic for jobs I don't want to tackle or are too big for me. But I'm also willing to do a lot of preventative maintenance for known issues. Only had to limp it home a couple times when the fuel pump died (had to replace that in the parking lot at work) and another when the alternator died.

Only had the 535xi for a few months, but the N54 engine can be pricey but is also an amazing engine for tuning. I also buy most of my parts from FCP Euro for their lifetime warranty (even on wear parts like rotors, pads, wipers, etc) so for someone like me that keeps cars for a LONG time, it means I only have to pay for parts once!
Date: July 15, 2020 11:25PM
jdc
Markintosh

facepalm

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Date: July 15, 2020 11:30PM
Gareth
I consider the Crosstrek and the Outback to both be wagons.

Well, thats cool and all, but sorry, its just not. =) Every "CUV" has a window after the second row. All of them. If they dont... its a 5 door, or a hatchback.

Theres no "wagon" here:

I guess you can have the outback, since it least has a window

but still no 4 year old XC 70 WAGON

----

Date: July 15, 2020 11:33PM
Lets table the 'is it a wagon?' conversation - even though its a staple of every wagon group on facebook.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 15, 2020 11:57PM
My Mazda Hatch is listed as a "wagon". Love it

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: July 16, 2020 12:00AM
mattkime
Lets table the 'is it a wagon?' conversation - even though its a staple of every wagon group on facebook.

LOL. The only people that yell louder than the "its not a wagon!" crowd are the "its a wagon!" crowd.

They *know* its not really a wagon... but just want to be included soooooo bad in the wagon club the definition gets stretched -- well in a wagons case "shrunk" -- to fit =)

----

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 16, 2020 12:16AM
Filliam H. Muffman
Light blue 1972 RX-3 wagon. I have considered buying a FD RX-7 and turning it into a wagon.

Very similar to this.

Ooh, now that brings back some memories.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Z
Date: July 16, 2020 12:20AM
SteveO - a pair of ‘66 Volvo Amazon (122s in the US) wagons.
A fun update read here on another owners wagon -
https://theoldmotor.com/?p=162195
Date: July 16, 2020 01:18AM
Z
SteveO - a pair of ‘66 Volvo Amazon (122s in the US) wagons.
A fun update read here on another owners wagon -
https://theoldmotor.com/?p=162195

Wow, that is cool!

And another apology — for not including vans in the poll. Dohhh.

Gareth that is good to know about that parts company, I will check them out, thanks!
Posted by: steve...
Date: July 16, 2020 01:28AM
Speaking of Volvos, one of my favorites:

Chevy and Ford had some nice two-door wagons in the mid fifties, like this one in North by Northwest:

Northern California Coast
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 16, 2020 08:34AM
Grew up with Wagons... Grandpa had a Woodie, then he replaced it with, of all things, a Checker. Then a Buick wagon.
Parents had either vans or wagons... so much entertainment sitting in the way back seats pestering my sisters. Knees tended to run into each other with a lot of 'ow ! stop it !"
And I've got Mom's Subaru Impreza wagon which still runs and still smells a bit like the gasoline she spilled in it. Despite aggressive carpet cleaning. I've gotta find a local detail shop that is willing to take up the challenge.
Posted by: Schpark
Date: July 16, 2020 09:07AM
My current ride is a 2013 Ford Flex. Best wagon and vehicle I have ever had.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 16, 2020 10:06AM
One exactly like this is sitting in my drive:

2004 VW TDI Passat wagon. It has a bit over 100k miles, looks nearly new and runs like a champ. Yet it mostly sits because we have two PHEVs that are our daily drivers. The VW gets used for hauling or pulling a trailer. It gets 600 miles on a full tank and I haven’t needed to fuel it up in a couple of years.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: July 16, 2020 10:47AM
Schpark

Not a Ford fan. My first (as noted above ) was a Ford - first and only one I ever did or ever again would own.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: July 16, 2020 11:07AM
Took Drivers Ed in high school in this baby: 1969 Ford Country Squire

[forums.macresource.com]

Currently own this: 1986 Chevrolet Cavalier Wagon

[forums.macresource.com]

Daughter's current ride: 1991 Buick Roadmaster

[forums.macresource.com]
Date: July 16, 2020 11:24AM
Schpark

I like those. Any recommendations you'd care to share of shopping for a used model of about that vintage?
Date: July 16, 2020 11:45AM
Schpark

I used to hate the Flex because a rental car company gave me one for a minivan reservation and I thought, this is a terrible minivan (swapped it with a co-worker that got a proper minivan and we were both happy). But, when they discontinued it, I read an article suggesting it was a large wagon and thought, yea, it is an awesome wagon. Terrible minivan, but awesome wagon!
Date: July 16, 2020 11:48AM
mrbigstuff
Schpark

I like those. Any recommendations you'd care to share of shopping for a used model of about that vintage?

It depends what you are looking for. I prefer the 2013 and up refreshed models. More HP in the non turbo, beefed up brakes and water pump. Mine is a FWD SEL without Ecoboost and still has plenty of oomph for me. Love the vista roof. With factory trailer tow package can tow up to 4500 lbs, which I needed to tow my boat. Best road trip vehicle ever.

Would recommend going to ford flex dot net forums and peruse there for the details.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Date: July 16, 2020 11:50AM
RgrF
Schpark

Not a Ford fan. My first (as noted above ) was a Ford - first and only one I ever did or ever again would own.

That's too bad, your loss I guess. I have owned nothing but Fords and have great success. Don't understand the bias against Ford on this forum.

Date: July 16, 2020 05:07PM
Hmm...I never considered that the cargo that rides in the rear portion of my car needs a window.
Seems like an argument that just doesn't matter...which describes a lot of what happens here. No wonder MRF is losing members....

jdc
Gareth
I consider the Crosstrek and the Outback to both be wagons.

Well, thats cool and all, but sorry, its just not. =) Every "CUV" has a window after the second row. All of them. If they dont... its a 5 door, or a hatchback.

Theres no "wagon" here:

I guess you can have the outback, since it least has a window

but still no 4 year old XC 70 WAGON

Date: July 16, 2020 05:47PM
Markintosh
Hmm...I never considered that the cargo that rides in the rear portion of my car needs a window.
Seems like an argument that just doesn't matter...which describes a lot of what happens here. No wonder MRF is losing members....

And anyways, your cargo does have a window, even if it is tiny! Wagons are a dying breed. The reason they don't look like a "4 year old Volvo" is because of modern safety standards. So I say, welcome anything and anyone close into the wagon club, even if maybe it's really a "5-door hatchback" (because I think hatchbacks are 3 doors anyway) ;)

Date: July 16, 2020 06:08PM
One of my Volvo 240s was broadsided by a youngster in a BMW, hit the car smack dab in the drivers doorpost, I was the driver and after exiting the passenger door wobbled over to what was left of the kid's daddy's Beamer. He went crazy thinking what he was going to say to Dad, I hailed a cab and sent a tow for the V.

On arrival it started and like the earlier me wobbled down the street (bent tie rod) but otherwise ran like a champ until insurance declared it dead a week or two later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2020 06:09PM by RgrF.
Date: July 16, 2020 06:27PM
Markintosh

pfft, some good natured ribbing on whats a wagon? Nobodys "arguing"

Its like peeps like that live in Truckee and like to say "I live in lake tahoe" -- implying they live on/near the lake... but we all know they dont =)

MRF isnt losing members to content. Attrition... and the number of new regular posters added in the last 5? 10? years has got to be less than... 10? 5?

----

Date: July 16, 2020 06:32PM
The gatekeeping isn't helping.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 210
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018