advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What am I doing wrong with the Contacts?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 19, 2020 06:27AM
Maybe its weird but I have two users on my laptop. One is my work user that I use for 8+ hours per day at my "9-5" job. The other user is my home user that I use, well, when I'm home...sometimes. Mostly to keep the small amount of freelance that I still do separate and also to maintain my different email accounts. But one thing that I don't mind bleeding from one to the other is my contacts. I have contacts on my phone (for calls and messages), I have contacts on my work user and contacts for my home user. I also have google contacts.

But for whatever reason, even though I supposedly have everything "synced", NOTHING is synced. At some point, I started with a similar grouping but it's branched off from there in each account. I get a message from someone on my phone and it shows up as "Jenny". But on my Mac it shows up as "867-5309". I have to add it to my contacts to get the name to show up. But my contacts on my phone are syncing with the contacts on my Mac. Right? All my devices are logged into the same Apple account so the contacts in my iCloud account should be synced right? Not.

So what am I doing wrong? I feel like I need to export them from all my devices and services. Create a unified list in Excel or something and then re-import them all. But that seems like something that "syncing" SHOULD be doing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2020 06:27AM by bazookaman.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What am I doing wrong with the Contacts?
Posted by: Drew
Date: July 19, 2020 06:44AM
Are you saving the contacts in "iCloud" or "On My Mac" in Contacts? Not sure if On My Mac means that different Users will automatically synch.

Different topic and you don't need to answer if you don't want to get it into it, but why two different users? Can't you keep things separate with a single user? Or, is this something required by your workplace?
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 19, 2020 08:05AM
bazookaman,

As it works for me, both users must be using the same iCloud account to have synching.

I have the same User and iCloud account on two different OSes: current and the prior OS (two different computers. All iCloud contacts are synched. All iCloud Mail is synched. Nothing is synched for "On My Mac" contacts or mail. If I relocate a name from iCloud to On My Mac, It is then available on on that Mac.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 19, 2020 11:45AM
.....would Contact.....tracing work......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: davemchine
Date: July 19, 2020 11:54AM
I do something similar with my wife. We have separate iCloud accounts but we share the same address book. I'll try to make it simple:
My iPhone: signed into my account with contacts turned on
My computer: signed into my account with contact turned on
Her iPhone: signed into her account with contacts turned OFF, signed into my account as secondary with only contacts turned on.

Your devices are flipped from mine but I think the same idea would work.
Your iPhone: signed into your account with contacts turned on
Your computer account: signed into your account with contacts turned on
Your computer's work account: signed into alternative iCloud account with contacts turned off, signed into your primary account with only contacts turned on

Alternately you could just sign into a everything with the exact same iCloud account and it should work.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 20, 2020 03:54PM
I think thats why this is so frustrating. I am signed into the same cloud account on ALL my devices. So i should be syncing like no ones business. Alas. I am not.

Click here to login

Online Users

Cary , DP , WHiiP
Guests: 231
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018