advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Thunderbolt 4? I don't even have Thunderbolt 3 yet.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 22, 2020 04:11PM
[www.dpreview.com]

Intel has released the full specifications for Thunderbolt 4, the successor to Thunderbolt 3 that was first announced earlier this year. As previously stated, Thunderbolt 4 will not offer a speed increase over Thunderbolt 3 -- it will, however, still represent an important upgrade for the protocol.

Intel released the minimum system specifications for Thunderbolt 4 on Wednesday, July 8, explaining that it will feature USB4 compliance in addition to 'expanded capabilities.' Notable changes introduced by Thunderbolt 4 will include double the data and video minimum requirements compared to Thunderbolt 3, requiring minimum support for two 4K displays or a single 8K display.

As well, Thunderbolt 4 will offer the full 40Gb/s speed of Thunderbolt 3 with cables up to 2m (6.5ft) in length. Whereas Thunderbolt 3 has minimum support of 16Gb/s for PCIe connections, Thunderbolt 4 will boost this to 32Gb/s. When it comes to USB4 (which uses the same USB-C connector), speeds top out at 20Gb/s with 7.5W of power delivery and support for a single 4K display.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Thunderbolt 4? I don't even have Thunderbolt 3 yet.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 22, 2020 06:30PM
I don't even have Thunderbolt yet.
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 22, 2020 06:45PM
…should be a boon to those with more than one monitor - especially those with beefier 4K and 5K monitors. Somebody with lots of disposable $$$ has to be jonesin' for dual 8K monitors…
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 22, 2020 07:19PM
pRICE,

I'm hoping this will drive the prices down on Thunderbolt 3 peripherals like CalDigit's Thunderbolt 3 dock.

[www.caldigit.com]

I checked out the models out there and would love this one. Just too pricey right now. I'm hoping to snag one when they go on clearance. smiling smiley

Robert
Posted by: Spiff
Date: July 22, 2020 10:38PM
yeah, just got a TB2 computer earlier this year. No docs for it any more. Ugh.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: July 23, 2020 06:48AM
mrbigstuff

My latest Mac is a 2015 27" iMac. It has two Thunderbolt ports, but they aren't used. All of my externals are USB2 or USB3.

Is my external Display Port a Thunderbolt port?

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 23, 2020 09:12AM
mrlynn
mrbigstuff

My latest Mac is a 2015 27" iMac. It has two Thunderbolt ports, but they aren't used. All of my externals are USB2 or USB3.

Is my external Display Port a Thunderbolt port?

/Mr Lynn

Yes, Thunderbolt 2 that can also be a mini Display Port.
Date: July 23, 2020 09:15AM
Robert M
pRICE,

I'm hoping this will drive the prices down on Thunderbolt 3 peripherals like CalDigit's Thunderbolt 3 dock.

[www.caldigit.com]

I checked out the models out there and would love this one. Just too pricey right now. I'm hoping to snag one when they go on clearance. smiling smiley

Robert

Reality is that with more than one port, I use two USB-C ports into inexpensive USB-C docks in lieu of a USB-3 dock.

USB-4 offers the merger of both.
Date: July 23, 2020 10:01AM
Sekker,

Don't have the luxury of Thunderbolt 3 and/or USB 3.1 Gen 2 on the machine in question. I do have Thunderbolt 2. So, I can use Apple's Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter combined with the Caldigit box to take advantage of Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 Gen 2 devices. Just won't do it right now since it's too expensive. Once the CalDigit box is on clearance, then I'll considering playing switcho-chango with the devices.

Robert
Date: July 24, 2020 10:40AM
Robert M
Sekker,

Don't have the luxury of Thunderbolt 3 and/or USB 3.1 Gen 2 on the machine in question. I do have Thunderbolt 2. So, I can use Apple's Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter combined with the Caldigit box to take advantage of Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 Gen 2 devices. Just won't do it right now since it's too expensive. Once the CalDigit box is on clearance, then I'll considering playing switcho-chango with the devices.

Robert

Understand. TB1 and TB2 was really expensive tech. TB3 and USBC starts to make it more accessible. TB4 is basically a combo of TB3 and USBC.

At some point, likely easier to just upgrade your Mac hardware than all of the peripherals to TB2/3.
Date: July 25, 2020 03:18PM
Sekker,

Yups. Right now, one of my employees is using an early '13" MBPr 15" as a desktop. At some point, I'll likely replace the '14 iMac 5K that's on my desk with a newer machine, likely another iMac or a Mac Mini. The iMac will then replace the MPB as that employee's desktop machine and I'll repurpose the early '13 MBPr. The problem I'm facing with the machines is both of them still perform nicely for their given tasks. I can't justify replacing them.

Two of my employees are using old '12 MBA 13" models. Storage-wise and memory-wise, they're dandy for the tasks. The problem is speed-wise, they're showing signs of age and I can't upgrade the OS to a newer flavor like Mojave. They are next in line for replacement. These are times when I wish Apple still had the Macbook 12", which would be perfect for both employees. One of them especially needs a very lightweight mobile machine. She's 100% mac accustomed and moving her to a Windows machine, tablet or chromebook won't do.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I might get that CalDigit box anyway and use it to buy time until I know what to do about the MBAs.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2020 03:18PM by Robert M.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 168
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020