Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
July 22, 1997: Mac OS 8
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 22, 2020 07:48PM
[www.cultofmac.com]

July 22, 1997: Apple introduces its next-gen operating system, Mac OS 8, the first major OS refresh for Macintosh since System 7’s release in 1991.

Mac OS 8 introduces easier surfing of the internet, a new three-dimensional look and other features. It gets great reviews — but arrives at a very challenging time for Apple.

Steve Jobs’ first new OS
Although everyone associates Steve Jobs’ reign at Apple with OS X, Mac OS 8 was actually the first new operating system to launch after his return to the company. Jobs had very little to do with it, though, since his CEO predecessor Gil Amelio had only stepped down a couple of weeks earlier.

Mac OS 8 built on the work that had gone into Apple’s Project Copland, which the company announced in March 1994. Cupertino positioned Copland as a total rewrite of Mac OS to accompany the introduction of the first PowerPC Macs.

However, the software’s developers continually missed deadlines. Eventually, Apple folded Project Copland into “System 8,” which became known as Mac OS.

Mac OS 8 allowed greater levels of user customization for features like system fonts, accent colors and photo desktop backgrounds.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: July 22, 1997: Mac OS 8
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 22, 2020 08:51PM
OS 8.6
Hated to part with it!
Posted by: Harooneneutics
Date: July 22, 2020 09:52PM
Brings me back to the days of actually going to a store to buy software.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 23, 2020 02:05AM
RgrF
OS 8.6
Hated to part with it!

Yeah, I never really installed 9.0 in my machines.

In a bit of numbers reversal 10.6.8 is also one I still use and refuse to update on a 2009 MBP.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 23, 2020 11:38AM
Clones were only licensed for 7.x so OS 8 (vs. System 7.7) was also a move to distance and successfully terminate them. I think Power Computing did secure a license but the company was not long for the world by then.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 23, 2020 03:31PM
I don't recall Power Computing getting a license for OS 8. However they did have a clone licensing agreement that was significantly different from those held by others. To forestall any legal issues Apple bought them out.

Significant chunks of the internals for OS 8 still had OS 7.7 on them as shipped. Cultofmac overstates part of their writeup in the section about Copland, most of the updates to the OS and filesystem scavenged from the Copland work did not show up until OS 8.1 and later.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 23, 2020 03:40PM
Copland code did not contribute to OS 8.

Copland was abandoned in favor of NextOS which became OS X.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 23, 2020 03:57PM
sekker

Yes it did. They pulled the platinum theme from it to use in OS 8, HFS+ showed up in 8.1, and so on. Like I said, "scavenged".

That is part of what Ellen Hancock identified as the way forward after determining Copland could not be brought back on track for an eventual release as an usable OS. Useful technologies and code from that development was used all the way up through OS 9. Before she worked with Amelio at National Semiconductor she had been Senior VP for network hardware and software at IBM. That i why she was brought to either get Copland back on track for release or identify an alternate approach. Hence we got the purchase of NeXT and the return of Jobs.

What did not get used from Copland was the OS kernel that would underly all of the rest of the tech.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 23, 2020 04:28PM
JoeH
sekker

Yes it did. They pulled the platinum theme from it to use in OS 8, HFS+ showed up in 8.1, and so on. Like I said, "scavenged".

That is part of what Ellen Hancock identified as the way forward after determining Copland could not be brought back on track for an eventual release as an usable OS. Useful technologies and code from that development was used all the way up through OS 9. Before she worked with Amelio at National Semiconductor she had been Senior VP for network hardware and software at IBM. That i why she was brought to either get Copland back on track for release or identify an alternate approach. Hence we got the purchase of NeXT and the return of Jobs.

What did not get used from Copland was the OS kernel that would underly all of the rest of the tech.

Fine. They re-purposed the GUI tweaks. But the REAL change was the kernel which was required for all of the cool new things they promised.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 23, 2020 05:26PM
Please.

We can all agree that OS 8 really only had one killer feature:

The 3rd party Kaleidoscope program. Immediately made System 7 look booooooooriiiiing....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 176
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018