advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Braggin' on myself! Results of today's performance review...
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 22, 2020 08:42PM
Long story short, over the past 9 months I completed the most massive project of my career. Arguably the highest profile and most demanding project of this type my employer has ever had to deal with. If my piece of things had gone south, there would have been front page stories in the trade press, maybe even in the NY Times.

I had all the responsibility, and not much authority. Midway through the project, with an already super-tight deadline, our timeline got sliced by 33%. I worked with 150 different people to make this happen, pulling in resources from sister organizations, available only because I had personal relationships. I worked all-nighters and weekends, due to resource availability and other people's availability.

One quick scoping note: this project was, roughly, 20X larger than anything similar my employer has ever done. And we met our deadline, at a high level of quality.

I'm as proud of this as anything I've ever done, so I wanted to share it with y'all (and, truthfully, to brag a bit). Here are my rough draft notes from the performance review.

Feedback has been really good. Really great things to say. The only constructive criticism is on how to go from excellent to even more excellent.

Specific feedback:
Person A: An invaluable resource. Doesn’t know how they would done it without you. Couldn’t have done PROJECT1 without you. Your feedback is always thoughtful and helpful. Person B on same project: ditto.

Person C: Great things on SOFTWARE Pilot PROJECT2, guidance at each step, helpful samples of protocols.

Person D-worked very closely with you. “It is not an exaggeration to say ORGANIZATION wouldn’t have made its deadlines without his excellent and indefatigable work on this project.” She also complemented your creativity. Really came up with creative ways to streamline workflows, Skyping to accomplish XXXX, never before done via Skype, personal trips to PLACE during pandemic. Person D has nothing but great things to say.

You did extra stuff for Person E above and beyond the scope-that's very nice and speaks well of you.

Person F-very happy with information on helping her with PROJECT2. Info has already saved time; looking forward to working more with you.

Person G-Enjoyed working with you. Asset to DEPARTMENT and enjoyed working with you.

Person H-Helpful with PROJECT3.

Person I-Working with you on PROJECT4. What you did was amazing, More of the same wonderful adjectives. At high level meeting, Very Senior Person requested that you answer some questions on the fly. You handled those questions artfully. Good to know you’re a resource if we ever need someone to do that again. You frequently go above and beyond, you’re optimistic, a source of reassurance when things go sideways. Good on planning and responding to things in the moment.

Supervisor1 has good things to say. Even picky Supervisor2 has good things to say.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2020 08:43PM by anonymouse1.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Braggin' on myself! Results of today's performance review...
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 22, 2020 08:53PM
CONGRATULATIONS! Hope you get a promotion.

let's see how that translates into bonus and raise
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: July 22, 2020 09:08PM
Fantastic! Congratulations! You should brag and feel so proud!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 22, 2020 09:09PM
You are buying at the bar!

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 22, 2020 09:33PM
Overworked LEADER!!! boink smiley
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 22, 2020 10:12PM
anonymouse1
I had all the responsibility, and not much authority.

Every project manager's lament. Congratulations!

It is what it is.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: July 22, 2020 10:20PM
That is awesome. Congrats!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 22, 2020 10:30PM
congrats!

as my grandfather told me, if you don't toot your own horn, no one else is going to do it for you. sometimes you have to do it, even if it seems... weird.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: July 22, 2020 10:33PM
Sounds like you have every reason to be proud. Congrats!

JoeM
Posted by: Don C
Date: July 22, 2020 10:35PM
VERY impressive. Thanks for sharing. Success stories are good to hear anytime, but especially now.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: July 23, 2020 12:18AM
smiley-gen013 Congrats — you deserve a party! smileys with beer Or at least some really good chocolate...
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 23, 2020 12:25AM
Congrats!
Bask in the glory and the love from this forum!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: July 23, 2020 06:27AM
Software? Like a large website project? Judging from news reports of massive failures of government website rollouts in the past (e.g. Obamacare), double congrats for managing in the face of possible public embarrassment. I hope the company gives you a nice long vacation, and a big fat bonus.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: DP
Date: July 23, 2020 06:39AM
Can't add much more to what the others have posted. Well done! Hope a decent reward is forthcoming...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2020 06:40AM by DP.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 23, 2020 07:31AM
Nicely done. As a professional, there is great reward in difficult tasks done well. As worker..
Posted by: Pam
Date: July 23, 2020 08:09AM
Blow that horn! Congrats and I hope you get some well deserved decompression time. And a raise!
Posted by: August West
Date: July 23, 2020 08:53AM
N-OS X-tasy!
anonymouse1
I had all the responsibility, and not much authority.

Every project manager's lament. Congratulations!

+1000 and massive congratulations on the success!!

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: July 23, 2020 09:05AM
YAY!

Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 23, 2020 10:05AM
Way to go, hard work pays off!
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 23, 2020 10:51AM
So very glad! Performance evals tend to focus on negatives, great to see some of this on the positive side! Congrats.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 23, 2020 11:42AM
Congratulations Mr. 'mouse!!!

You get the Patented, Limited Edition Lew Zealand 11 thumbs up!

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Wherein I replace my 8 other fingers with thumbs and sew on an extra because you did such a Damn Good Job!
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 23, 2020 11:50AM
Spectacular!!!
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 24, 2020 12:21PM
woot smiley

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 169
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018