advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ever replace a fridge door gasket?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 23, 2020 07:03AM
Curious. I am thinking of doing this to my top freezer variety. The type that used to be very common.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ever replace a fridge door gasket?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 23, 2020 07:23AM
Yes. You need a putty knife (plastic avoids scratches), some cleaner, perhaps a pot scrubber (green plastic scrubby), the appropriate gasket. You may need some sort of glue, you may not depending on the design. Perhaps a half hour job, more if there is rust / contamination.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 23, 2020 07:38AM
get the exact part from these guys if they have it in stock.

[www.appliancepartspros.com]

They even show you how to do it

[www.appliancepartspros.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2020 07:42AM by space-time.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 23, 2020 07:54AM
.....no.....but many here have blown a gasket......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 23, 2020 08:01AM
First of all, a seal should be replaced only if it is torn. Most of the time if a door doesn't seal it is because the door has become slightly twisted from people yawning hard to open it. If this i your case, straighten the door by using force in opposition to the opening force. It will work. I have done it may times over the 23 years I had my appliance repair business.

Replacing the seal is not that difficult. Warning!! Lay it out on a flat surface (kitchen/dining room table) overnight just to get it in the general shop to fit the door.

Take the door off and lay it flat so that the handle hangs over the edge. When you loosen the screws under the old gasket, do not take them out. They also hold the inner door panel in place. You want to keep the outer door from twisting/contorting while you remove the old gasket and install the new gasket.

Tighten the screws as you would tighten a head gasket. Work diagonal with screws on opposite corners, then work towards the centers of each side. Or work from the centers of each side out towards the corners. The goal is to keep the door panel flat, and the inner door panel helps make it fairly rigid. do not overtighten the screws. They can strip the holes easily.

If you have done everything carefully, the new seal will fit nicely when you reinstall the door. You may need to use a hairdryer in some areas to get the best, even seal all around the door.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2020 09:07AM by modelamac.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 23, 2020 08:07AM
it was not fun. if it's big enough and comes packed in a twisted knot, relax it in a tub of hot water.
make sure to document all the new f words you come up with.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Date: July 23, 2020 08:26AM
modelamac
First of all, a seal should be replaced only if it is torn.

it's not torn, but twisted and "dented" so that it's not forming a seal in two places along the perimeter. I'm guessing that it's contributing to my problem of excessive condensation. it's also been really humid in our house.

edit: it is slightly torn at the bottom although it looks somewhat superficial.

btw, thanks for the great advice

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2020 08:28AM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 23, 2020 08:31AM
mrbigstuff
t's not torn, but twisted and "dented" so that it's not forming a seal in two places along the perimeter. I'm guessing that it's contributing to my problem of excessive condensation. it's also been really humid in our house.

does it hold a dollar bill firmly in place without slipping with the door closed?. Not tugged upon.
Mine sweats like hell and even comes off 0º in the freezer on occasion in this heat and no AC. But no AC is extra work a fridge.
Does the freezer get rocks?
If you have access to the condensation overflow pan, have you dumped it recently? Over 85º I dump once a month.
As I said, not a fun job, even for experienced app repair people.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2020 08:32AM by Fritz.
Date: July 23, 2020 08:42AM
On many refrigerators the strip between the freezer and the refrigerator is heated to reduce condensation. That can be overwhelmed by a poor seal on the freezer door. If there is an energy saver switch, it turns that heater on and off.

The natural tendency of the door seal is to distort at the hinge corners. The hinges keep the door itself close to the cabinet, and the seal must slide on the surface of the cabinet at those corners when th door is closed. The seal corners stick there when the door opens, pulling and stretching the seal. eventually it gets distorted. Loosening the screws along those 2 sides and pulling the seal back in place will help. Tighten the screws while holding the seal where you want it, then use the hair dryer again to finish the job. let the seal cool before you open the door again.

You can loosen the screws (underneath the edge of the seal) on the sides where the seal is distorted and pull the seal to improve that. A hairdryer will help to reshape the seal. Then tighten the screws and see if your efforts did the job, or helped.

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 23, 2020 08:47AM
I've also read of slitting the seal & inserting flat magnets in problem areas.
Posted by: August West
Date: July 23, 2020 08:47AM
Just an overall thanks to modelamac. After many years on the forum, I have learned to pay great attention when he shares his experience on appliances. Yet another really great example here. Thanks!

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2020 08:48AM by August West.
Date: July 23, 2020 09:07AM
Bill in NC
I've also read of slitting the seal & inserting flat magnets in problem areas.

There is a flat magnetic strip in almost all door seals on these units. It is moved in at the factory. You can feel it just inside the sealing surface.

Using a hairdryer carefully will allow you to straighten out this strip and make it lie flat. That restores these to the original shape.

Date: July 23, 2020 09:39AM
I guess I'll try the hair dryer before anything drastic.

My gasket is deformed in two places, at the top close to the opening side and toward the bottom on the long side.

Would you recommend anything to make up that gap?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 23, 2020 12:57PM
What Oggie said.
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 217
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018