advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Fix Front Door Lock, help
Posted by: Microman
Date: July 23, 2020 08:32AM
Daughter lives 40 miles away, and her front door opener at the Condo is not working well, from inside and outside.

I notice they built the Condo with low quality stuff in most cases.

If I was there I would take it apart and see if there were two separate holes. One for the deadbolt and one for the open handle. And buy replacement of some sort at Home Depot

And I don't know who makes these, and whether they were imported from China...

Thoughts?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Fix Front Door Lock, help
Posted by: John B.
Date: July 23, 2020 08:40AM
Almost certainly two holes, there are a couple of standards for spacing the latch/deadbolt so that combo latch plates (and units like you show) work. (I just replaced doors at my house a couple months ago.)

If the current unit has been in use for a while, getting some dry teflon-type lubricant and spraying in the lock holes and on the latch/bolts might make a difference. If you switch to separate latch/bolt units, you're going to have to deal with the leftover mounting holes for that screw at the top of the current plate (and possibly another one at the bottom out of the plate, out of the view in the picture).
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 23, 2020 08:46AM
Condo doors are gonna be cheap as heck. Odds are the wood rails where the lock is attached is also damaged. Make sure she adds toothpicks in glue to the wooden screw holes around the strike and the latch to strengthen it back up.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 23, 2020 09:16AM
Microman,

As cbelt3 says, the door and the lock assembly will be the cheapest available.

One thing I've found is that over time, the door hinge screws can loosen, allowing the door to sag and misaligned the lock, latch with the holes in the jam.

If lifting the door at the handle and then locking make the process easier, then tightening the hinge screws may help. Tighten them on both the door and the jamb. Do this before you start replacing things, or the replacements won't improve the situation.

My house was built in '66. I am the original owner. I have had to replace the front door hinge screws with longer torx head screws to cure that sag problem. It works.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2020 09:18AM by modelamac.
Posted by: d4
Date: July 23, 2020 09:21AM
Is that the only pic she sent you? Is there a manufacturer name on the keyhole or strike plate area?

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 23, 2020 10:00AM
My guess would be a double hole. A single hole that large would impact door/lock integrity. Take a look at the door edge. Is it a single or double plate? That might give a clue.

I would replace at least 1 screw on each side of each hinge (the more the better) and all the screws on the strike plates with phillips head screws that are at least 2-1/2 inches long for security purposes. Don't use brass. They'll look nicer, but the heads will strip out unless you're extremely careful.

I swear that I've seen lock/handle assemblies that look similar at Lowes and HD. Couldn't find them on the Lowes website. There are a few on the HD website, starting around the $200 mark. There are a bit different and the exterior has a looped hand that has a third mounting point. The exertion side doesn't have a knob that turns, it has a lever that you push down.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 23, 2020 10:54AM
The door could be warping from high humidity. Good luck.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 23, 2020 10:57AM
It's a double hole.

A pic of the other side will confirm that.

(Now that I said it, I'll be wrong, LOL.)

An actual description of what is happening would be helpful.

'Not working well' is right up there with 'It's broke'.

If I had to guess, maybe the key is getting difficult to turn.

Somewhere on the lockset is the manufactures name, unless it's very cheap or very expensive. Check on the plate around the latch or deadbolt.

An interconnected lock set would unlock the deadbolt with the door handle, but still require two holes.

Is the door dragging when open or closed? That would affect the locking and unlocking.

Agreed with tightening the screws first thing.

The moving lock bits might need lubricating.

The key might be worn, making fitment a problem.

If she had somebody to help her, all the screws in the jamb should probably be replaces with 3-4" screws. That would require a pilot hole drilled.

More info would be a huge help.

Detailed questions and answers are a good thing.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 23, 2020 04:37PM
FWIW, at least your daughter gave you a more descriptive problem.

Mine simply says "It's being spicy".
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 23, 2020 08:16PM
being spicy! That's priceless.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018