advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Device to convert cassette to digital file?
Posted by: stephen
Date: July 23, 2020 07:21PM
I was going to ask a friend with a sound studio to convert one tape, but as I look around there are probably ten that would be nice to convert/preserve, and that's starting to get annoying.

Anyone tried any of the cheap devices for doing this?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Device to convert cassette to digital file?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 23, 2020 07:40PM
n4n, it's not like a cassette has great sound to begin with.
I'd bet any of the inexpensive devices at beezees would do the job just fine.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 23, 2020 07:58PM
More importantly, is the DECK used to output the analog audio any good?

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: August West
Date: July 23, 2020 08:08PM
And if the deck is okay, maybe you can use some sort of usb camera attachment to get the audio into the computer. I think at one point I had no interface to digitize, so I ran analog RCAs into a Video Camera with Firewire connection ,and digitized on the cheap and dirty (Cue Newt), Best of luck.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 23, 2020 08:15PM
That is why I still have my TRV-900 miniDV 3 chip camera. Analog in streams over FW if you know the trick.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: July 23, 2020 08:34PM
Toast used to be able to do that. I converted a bunch of reels to the computer and then to CD.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: rz
Date: July 23, 2020 08:34PM
I have a half decent tape deck hooked up to an old Macbook using a Griffin iMic. I use Audacity to record the audio.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 23, 2020 09:20PM
Unless the source is a personal recording just rebuy the titles.

Used cassette decks can be bought and resold otherwise. The level of complexity for digitizing can range from only a set of cables into your Mac’s mic input to [far more].
Posted by: Schpark
Date: July 24, 2020 09:16AM
rz
I have a half decent tape deck hooked up to an old Macbook using a Griffin iMic. I use Audacity to record the audio.

I do the same with the iMic and Final Vinyl that came with it and it still works on my 2010 iMac. Have a decent 3-head Yamaha cassette deck (KX-930) and my recorded tapes sounded much better than commercial cassettes.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 24, 2020 11:33AM
At the library we had a few people wanting to do this type of conversion, ended up just connecting a cassette tape deck up to an Olympus LS-10 audio recorder. Plenty of formats available on the LS-10, was able to to preserve the available quality on the tape. Same could be done with a different model of a good audio recorder.
Posted by: raz
Date: July 24, 2020 04:01PM
I used to use an iMic and Final Vinyl, but when I tried it recently, the iMic had dies (or the OS doesn't recognize it).

I picked up one of these:

[www.amazon.com]

It works very well - likely better than the iMic, and Audacity (free) is far better than Final Vinyl.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 211
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018