advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
TV Table-Top Stand/Mount I Endorse
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 24, 2020 08:20AM
(not that my endorsement means anything)
I've purchased two of these, one for a 43" and the other for a 49".
Sturdy, well made all-steel, and easy to assemble & install.
(I believe it is powder coated steel.)

TAVR Universal Table Top TV Stand for Most 27 30 32 37 40 42 47 50 55 60 65
inch Plasma LCD LED Flat or Curved Screen TVs with Height Adjustment,VESA
Patterns up to 800mm x 500mm,88 Lbs

Currently $16.05 (w/ coupon) @ bezosville.

Includes all hardware of various sizes for VESA screw mounts, spacers, and even
a hexkey & wrench. You only need a #2 Phillips screwdriver for the VESA screws!

(on a 55" LG)

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: TV Table-Top Stand/Mount I Endorse
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 24, 2020 08:35AM
Thanks. Now to figure out if they'll work with my 65 inch Sony and raise it up more than the stock feet.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 24, 2020 08:49AM
MrN,

I like that! So many newer TVs have stands whose legs are near or at the sides, rather than pedestal-style and closer to the middle. I'm thinking the manufacturers are doing this because so many people are wall-mounting TVs these days.

Think like this:

[www.lg.com]

Instead of a pedestal or pedestal-style like this:

[www.lg.com]

This can prove problematic if the stand you're placing the TV is not wide enough to accommodate the legs, i.e. cater-cornered chest of draws.

The TAVR Universal Table Top TV Stand solves this problem nicely. Gives you legs that are closer to pedestal-style for a TV that doesn't offer it out of the box.

Robert
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 24, 2020 10:47AM
Thanks for sharing, good to know there is an alternative out there for inconveniently sized or shaped stock TV stands!
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 24, 2020 11:26AM
i prefer mine on the wall.

Date: July 24, 2020 02:32PM
bazookaman

Yep, but many of us don't have the appropriate wall space available @ the preferred
TV location!

Robert M, you hit it. My old Panny had a nice center pedestal. Seems they all went
to the wide stance, cheapass 'feet'.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

Date: July 24, 2020 02:55PM
bazookaman

Most of our tv's are wall mounted. Except the one in our Family Room, which sits in a nice Cherry entertainment center.
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: July 24, 2020 05:07PM
What kind of feet do those stands have? Specifically, the surface that comes in contact with the resting surface.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2020 05:23PM by SKYLANE.
Date: July 24, 2020 09:59PM
SKYLANE
What kind of feet do those stands have? Specifically, the surface that comes in contact with the resting surface.

from the linked product description:
NON-SLIP / NON-SCRATCH PAD
The bottom of each foot has padding that prevents skidding while protecting the
table top from scratches.

I believe it is neoprene.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

Posted by: Cary
Date: July 25, 2020 08:34AM
Robert M
MrN,

I like that! So many newer TVs have stands whose legs are near or at the sides, rather than pedestal-style and closer to the middle. I'm thinking the manufacturers are doing this because so many people are wall-mounting TVs these days.

This can prove problematic if the stand you're placing the TV is not wide enough to accommodate the legs, i.e. cater-cornered chest of draws.

The TAVR Universal Table Top TV Stand solves this problem nicely. Gives you legs that are closer to pedestal-style for a TV that doesn't offer it out of the box.

Robert

I believe that the reason for wide of spaced feet is simple - stability and cost. As TVs get bigger, center mounted pedestals will have to get bigger and heavier to stabilize them.

Monoprice also sells stands like this.
Date: July 25, 2020 08:39AM
Cary,

Yes and no.. Definitely make sense for a large TV., 55” and larger. Unnecessary on a smaller TV, thiugh.

Robert
Posted by: Cary
Date: July 25, 2020 10:10AM
Robert,

I didn't mention product liability before, even though I was thinking about it, but that's part of the stability argument.

I don't know where the "tipping point" is, but I'd think the lawyers would be pushing it down from 55" to 40" at a minimum.

Can you imagine a little kid tugging on a tv, it flipping over and hitting him/her, and the lawsuit that would follow?

I'm not saying that any of the reasons - cost, stability, product liability - are correct or valid. Just that those are what came to mind for this discussion...

Cary
Date: July 25, 2020 10:32AM
Cary,

The liability and danger of flipping over and falling exists whether the TV has a pedestal stand or legs. Doesn't matter what size TV either. Can even happen with the most well designed pedestal or legs and on a TV as small as a 19" model. It's on the owner to take steps to prevent a TV from flipping. That's why we wall mounted all of our TVs including a 22" model after Little M was born. I considered anti-tip straps [www.amazon.com] but wanted the TVs completely out of her reach. That made wall mounting them the only option.

Robert
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 25, 2020 11:14AM
Where my TV is in the living room, it has to be in front of a large window. Long story, but no wall mount.

It's an older Sharp, with a pedestal base (not feet on either end). It sits on a lazy susan, which itself is on a large ZVOX speaker box. This works well for us, as we can angle the TV depending on how many are in the room or if we're kind of watching from the kitchen (looking across the countertop).

Sucks since most every manufacturer has gone to the cheap feet on either end rather than a center pedestal. I kind of get that (probably a lot cheaper, and I get that a lot of people wall mount), but I do wish it was an option. (FWIW, I know there are ugly-ass aftermarket ones.)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Date: July 25, 2020 11:38AM
Robert M
It's on the owner to take steps to prevent a TV from flipping.
Robert

Not in the US legal system.
Date: July 25, 2020 12:13PM
Mac,

Each case must be evaluated on its own merit. Manufacturers must take reasonable steps prevent TVs (of any kind) from tipping under normal usage and circumstances. It's on the user to take additional steps if circumstances warrant it, not the manufacturer.

Here's an example:

My living room 55" TV was on a stand. No problems at all. The TV stand is stable. The TV on its pedestal on the stand was stable. No reason at all to take additional steps prevent it from tipping. It wasn't going to fall over unless there were extenuating circumstances or something changed that increased the risk of it tipping over.

In my case, a change took place that required me to take steps to ensure the TV wouldn't tip over. That change was the arrival of Little M.

As Little M got older, I knew there was a real risk of her doing something that might tip over the TV. So, it was on me to take appropriate action to prevent that from taking place. Not the manufacturer.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2020 01:17PM by Robert M.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 25, 2020 01:34PM
One of my older (> 5 years) TV's has a pedestal mount with a screw hole.

Yup, it screws right down to the mounting cabinet. Why this is not SOP, I don't know!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: July 25, 2020 05:46PM
Rolando,

I've seen that on some pedestals. You'd have to drill all the way through the stand and use a screw, washer and nut to make it workable. Even then, there is a good chance the TV would still flip over despite securing it like that. Probably better off wall mounting if possible or using a strap system like in my link.

That and I'd hate to permanently damage a TV stand, chest of drawers, etc. Rather use a non-permanent but secure solution. Screw holes in a wall are easy to fix. smiling smiley

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2020 05:47PM by Robert M.
Date: July 26, 2020 05:57AM
Forgot to mention, you can drill holes in the base legs to screw them down to a
stand/table top if so inclined.

Mine are mounted on steel wire racks* & I use heavy nylon cable ties. Bottom shelf
of each hold UPS units & other gear so they're not top heavy.

*like this...

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 210
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020