advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Premiere Elements or iMovie for simple movie editing
Posted by: dk62
Date: July 24, 2020 09:20AM
I have a large number of old home movies that I would like to edit using as little time as possible. I am pretty sure I (will) know how to digitize the ones that are on the analog tape.

I also have Premiere Elements and, of course, iMovie. Which would be better, simpler, faster, for someone who has no experience with either (I did some editing in the old version of iMovie many moons ago, but nothing recent).

2018 MacMini, 3.2 GHz i7, no eGPU (but willing to consider getting one if it helps a lot, I think it does not with iMovie).
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Premiere Elements or iMovie for simple movie editing
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 24, 2020 09:55AM
If you don't know Premiere Elements (or Adobe products) well already, you'll likely find iMovie easier to use. For simple editing, transitions, titles, etc., I find iMovie acceptable. If you need to do a lot of image correction or adjustments, you might need a more sophisticated tool.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 24, 2020 10:39AM
If you have a lot of old videos that could use enhancement, look at Topaz Labs. They have an AI powered upscaling program for video. It's around $300 IIRC, but has been on sale for almost half off.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: July 24, 2020 11:06AM
Your lack of familiarity with the many moons ago iMovie is probably to your advantage because many have complained that the more recent versions are jarringly different and hard to figure out. First time I tried it 5-6 years ago, I felt the same way. I gave up because I couldn't figure it out in 10 minutes. I went to great lengths to preserve an ancient version of iMovie for when I "got around" to doing the kind of project you are talking about. As you can imagine, I never "got around" to it.

Since I had a new, powerful MBP at the time (5+ years ago), I figured it was worth moving to FCP X and learning from scratch through some in-depth tutorials. Not that I recommend you go that route (I know you described wanting to keep this as simple as possible), but I tell you this because in fiddling with iMovie on occasion, I have realized that it has many of the everyday features that FCP has. Many of the interface elements are very similar, and they even share many of the same keyboard shortcuts.

Not trying to discourage you from Premiere Elements, especially if it's new. But if it's more than a couple years old, I'd start with iMovie. But before you dive in and start ingesting a ton of media, take the time to seek out some good online tutorials to master the interface and learn about proper organization and media management. I know you want to keep it simple with a easy learning curve, but being informed, efficient and organized makes things so much easier in the long term.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2020 11:07AM by datbeme.
Posted by: robfilms
Date: July 25, 2020 12:03PM
dk62
I have a large number of old home movies that I would like to edit using as little time as possible. I am pretty sure I (will) know how to digitize the ones that are on the analog tape.

I also have Premiere Elements and, of course, iMovie. Which would be better, simpler, faster, for someone who has no experience with either (I did some editing in the old version of iMovie many moons ago, but nothing recent).

2018 MacMini, 3.2 GHz i7, no eGPU (but willing to consider getting one if it helps a lot, I think it does not with iMovie).

let me ask:

are the home movies already digital?

is the footage sd (640x480), hdtv (720p) hd (1920 x 1080)?

what format are they? (avi?, mp4?, mov?)

approximately how long is this footage? hours?

and how/what do you want to edit? (add titles? edit out boring/out of focus/miscues? add narration?)

without being negative, in my experience, all video editing projects take much longer than originally planned for.

stay well.

rob
Posted by: rz
Date: July 26, 2020 06:54PM
I recently converted all of my miniDV cassettes of home movies to digital. Thankfully I had a copy of iMovie 6 on my Macbook. All I wanted was fade ins and outs from one scene to the next. iMovie 6 was so easy to use. Not sure what other editing you want/need. If it's just transitions from one scene to another and clipping out unwanted stuff, you can't get easier than iMovie 6.
Posted by: dk62
Date: July 26, 2020 10:08PM
Thanks all. It is currently a mix of analog, DV, and AVCHD. None of it is on a hard drive. iMovie is probably sufficient but as I have Premiere Elements 2020 I may try and play with it as well as long as no one said that I should stay away from it. I am aware that video projects tend to take more time than one would think but I will have to start at some point. Nothing really fancy, though, just simple editing I think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2020 08:17AM by dk62.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 211
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020