advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Help. Need some first hand exp. or opinions: AirPods Pro Become Hearing Aids in iOS 14
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 24, 2020 10:11AM
As some of you know I've had Meniere's disease for over 30 years. I have 70% hearing loss in certain frequencies in my right ear, left ear isn't a bad. I also 24/7 tinnitus, really bad in my right ear, it sounds higher than white noise. It's so bad that when my wife and son took me to the ER last Friday morning I told my wife I could hear the tinnitus over giant air filter fan device they had running in the little ER room I was in, it's bad, she couldn't believe it. Even with my insurance hearing aids are going to cost me a small fortune. Do y'all think it's at all possible that with iOS 14 and AirPod Pros I might get some help. I'm also planning on getting a new iPhone SE soon.

One reason I'm asking is that AirPod Pros are going to be $200 next week according to Slickdeals at Staples. I'm hoping others will match the price because there's no returns on AirPods at Staples anymore.

Also does anyone know if Apple is planning on releasing new AirPods soon, hence the the big sale?

This sounds promising.
"Breaking: AirPods Pro Become Hearing Aids in iOS 14"
[www.hearingtracker.com]

Grateful11
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Help. Need some first hand exp. or opinions: AirPods Pro Become Hearing Aids in iOS 14
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 24, 2020 10:31AM
fellow menieries forumite here though my tinnitus is not anywhere as bad as what you describe. and that’s the problem. menieries can manifest in so many different ways it can be hard to know. mine is in my left ear but i haven’t had an audio gram in at least 15 years. i was planning on getting one in february in the hopes that if i identify the list frequencies i could get a hearing aid that would dial those in so i could hear myself more accurately onstage. then covid hit and all that moved to a back burner.

the link you provided looks interesting but i think it’s hard to know if it will provide the help you need. that being said, it might be an upgrade opportunity for me to try it out myself.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2020 10:32AM by graylocks.
Re: Help. Need some first hand exp. or opinions: AirPods Pro Become Hearing Aids in iOS 14
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 24, 2020 10:33AM
This is very cool.

I think the first gen AirPods Pro are excellent. I own one pair myself.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 24, 2020 10:42AM
I also experience tinnitus.

Out of curiosity, have any of you tried this "weird trick"? RollingEyesSmiley5

I've done it a few times before and it works for me, but as it says below, not a cure as the ringing does come back.

LifeHacker
I personally suffer from hearing loss, so this tip caught my eye. I’m mostly deaf in my left ear due to an accident in my teens and it rings quite often. I was curious to try it for myself, but also very skeptical. Here’s how it works:

1. Place the palms of your hands over your ears so your fingers wrap around the back of your head.
2. Set your middle fingers on the top of your neck right at the base of your skull.
3. Put your index fingers on top of your middle fingers and apply pressure.
4. Now snap them on the back of your head over and over like you’re drumming.
5. Repeat it about 50 times.

Ideally, when you pull your hands away, you won’t hear any ringing, hissing, or buzzing anymore. When I tried it, there was definitely a change. I wouldn’t say it’s a miracle trick or anything, but it did seem to make the ringing go away for a little while—which was pleasant. After a few minutes, though, everything returned to normal.
[lifehacker.com]
Posted by: p8712
Date: July 24, 2020 11:03AM
My 84-year-old father uses his AirPods as a hearing aid. They work fairly well for that purpose. He can wear them in public and people think they are just AirPods, and they help hearing things like televisions and room conversations. Obviously, they would not be as good as true hearing aids, but I’ve tried using them that way myself and they actually work pretty well. Good for spying on conversations in public too.

Best of luck with the Ménière’s, there’s no way I can tolerate that diet for 30 years, or any of the other possible side effects. I’d seriously rather go deaf.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 24, 2020 11:16AM
Sorry, I’ve got nothing for you about the AirPods.

For what it’s worth, for me the combination of acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine reduce my many years by perhaps 50 to 80%. He also brought back my hearing, may be a 30% improvement.
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: July 24, 2020 11:40AM
My new hearing aids work like AirPods for phone calls and music bluetoothed to my iPhone. I don’t have to even remove my phone from my pocket for calls.

PhonakM90. And yes they are not cheap!

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 24, 2020 12:51PM
There have been rumors about AirPods 3, AirPods Studio, and AirPods Lite.

There was a rumor from Jon Prosser of a new version of AirPods to launch at WWDC.

That may have been the AirPods Studio.

I think the AP3 is either the Studio or the Lite, but not a separate set of Pods.

The Studio is an over the ear set of headphones.

One does need to be able to return AirPods if they don't fit.

Lori Gil of iMore.com said the original and AirPods 2 hurt her ears, but the Pro were great.

It's the opposite for me, so being able to return them is important.

If hard pressed, one could audition them from AMZ, return them and buy them from Staples when they're at $200.

Or try BB or somewhere for price matching.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: July 24, 2020 01:14PM
Grateful11
As some of you know I've had Meniere's disease for over 30 years. I have 70% hearing loss in certain frequencies in my right ear, left ear isn't a bad. I also 24/7 tinnitus, really bad in my right ear, it sounds higher than white noise. It's so bad that when my wife and son took me to the ER last Friday morning I told my wife I could hear the tinnitus over giant air filter fan device they had running in the little ER room I was in, it's bad, she couldn't believe it. Even with my insurance hearing aids are going to cost me a small fortune. Do y'all think it's at all possible that with iOS 14 and AirPod Pros I might get some help. I'm also planning on getting a new iPhone SE soon.

One reason I'm asking is that AirPod Pros are going to be $200 next week according to Slickdeals at Staples. I'm hoping others will match the price because there's no returns on AirPods at Staples anymore.

Also does anyone know if Apple is planning on releasing new AirPods soon, hence the the big sale?

This sounds promising.
[www.hearingtracker.com]

If you are a Costco member, the price of their hearing aids is very reasonable. You can get a very good pair of Kirkland behind-the-ear hearing aids for $1499. You have to pay and submit a claim to your insurance company. $1999 will get you a pair of name-brand like Rexton or Seimens.
I’ve been using Costco for hearing aids for the past twelve years. I’m on my fourth pair with them. My insurance covers a new pair, in full, every three years.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 24, 2020 01:52PM
richorlin
Grateful11

This sounds promising.
[www.hearingtracker.com]

If you are a Costco member, the price of their hearing aids is very reasonable. You can get a very good pair of Kirkland behind-the-ear hearing aids for $1499. You have to pay and submit a claim to your insurance company. $1999 will get you a pair of name-brand like Rexton or Seimens.
I’ve been using Costco for hearing aids for the past twelve years. I’m on my fourth pair with them. My insurance covers a new pair, in full, every three years.

The technology is a single pair of Air Pods Pro is FAR superior to even the best hearing aids. The HA community has been protected from competition until very recently. I expect us to see amazing new ideas in this area due to 2 things: 1) Many insurance companies are now covering hearing aids and 2) The FDA is relaxing its rules.
Date: July 24, 2020 02:08PM
mikebw
I also experience tinnitus.

Out of curiosity, have any of you tried this "weird trick"? RollingEyesSmiley5

I've done it a few times before and it works for me, but as it says below, not a cure as the ringing does come back.

LifeHacker
I personally suffer from hearing loss, so this tip caught my eye. I’m mostly deaf in my left ear due to an accident in my teens and it rings quite often. I was curious to try it for myself, but also very skeptical. Here’s how it works:

1. Place the palms of your hands over your ears so your fingers wrap around the back of your head.
2. Set your middle fingers on the top of your neck right at the base of your skull.
3. Put your index fingers on top of your middle fingers and apply pressure.
4. Now snap them on the back of your head over and over like you’re drumming.
5. Repeat it about 50 times.

Ideally, when you pull your hands away, you won’t hear any ringing, hissing, or buzzing anymore. When I tried it, there was definitely a change. I wouldn’t say it’s a miracle trick or anything, but it did seem to make the ringing go away for a little while—which was pleasant. After a few minutes, though, everything returned to normal.
[lifehacker.com]

I tried that when it first showed up, couldn't really tell much difference. I noticed the video is no longer available just that GIF image.

Problem right now is I've done something bad to my shoulder about 2 months ago and can't get my left hand back there without a lot of pain. Trying to heel it on my own, ice, heat, ice, heat and some light stretches. I think it's a pinched nerve because I have slight numbness in 3 fingers that I didn't have before. May have to get a shot in it and see if that helps.

Grateful11
Date: July 24, 2020 02:27PM
p8712
My 84-year-old father uses his AirPods as a hearing aid. They work fairly well for that purpose. He can wear them in public and people think they are just AirPods, and they help hearing things like televisions and room conversations. Obviously, they would not be as good as true hearing aids, but I’ve tried using them that way myself and they actually work pretty well. Good for spying on conversations in public too.

Best of luck with the Ménière’s, there’s no way I can tolerate that diet for 30 years, or any of the other possible side effects. I’d seriously rather go deaf.

Thanks. I've gotten used to not adding salt to anything but I recently had a lot of blood work done and my sodium level is actually low so that's probably not a good thing. No salt except unless it's already there, decaf coffee, etc.

Found out 2 years ago I'm lactose intolerant so there's another thing, it never ends. It took a diary of 'everything' I ate for 2 weeks to figure out what it was, all sorts of digestive issues and Drs. didn't have a clue. Digestive system is in pretty good shape now unless I have a Meniere's flare up.

Grateful11
Date: July 24, 2020 02:46PM
richorlin
Grateful11

This sounds promising.
[www.hearingtracker.com]

We're members at Sam's as the closest Costco is an hour away vs. 10 minutes to Sam's. They have hearing aids there but I've never talked to them about it.

I setup my Medicare supplement this year by paying even more for a different plan to get hearing aid coverage, even with coverage they said the price would be between $300 and $3000, my ENt starts at $3000 and up $7000, which is absolutely ridiculous.

I went to my ENT for an exam and hearing test in February and before I could get everything setup with a hearing aid provider that AARP/UHC uses Covid hit and I've been trying to stay home and away from such places as much as possible.

Grateful11
Posted by: p8712
Date: July 24, 2020 03:15PM
Grateful11
p8712

Thanks. I've gotten used to not adding salt to anything but I recently had a lot of blood work done and my sodium level is actually low so that's probably not a good thing. No salt except unless it's already there, decaf coffee, etc.

Found out 2 years ago I'm lactose intolerant so there's another thing, it never ends. It took a diary of 'everything' I ate for 2 weeks to figure out what it was, all sorts of digestive issues and Drs. didn't have a clue. Digestive system is in pretty good shape now unless I have a Meniere's flare up.

Eating/drinking and regular intervals, and tight control of glucose/sodium is very annoying. It does work, but dang - I'd rather have HIV or DMI.

Maybe try airpods from somewhere with a liberal return policy?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 24, 2020 06:25PM
I've gotten used to not adding salt to anything

I have no immediate medical incentive to do so, but I've somehow got away from adding salt to anything but tuna, popcorn, and french fries.

Even the little dual tube packets of salt from all the fast food places was double what I used.

Now my McDonald's uses the little flat packets like the pepper packets.

I've never really tried to abate my tinnitus.

It's 24/7/365 and worse some days than others but not as bad a some people I've met.

And I only have myself to blame, not any disease or condition.

Loud music and small arms fire.

Though in my defense, never both at the same time.

I do wear earplugs when riding my bike, as wind noise is very high but only sometimes triggers my Level 2 tinnitus.

Small favors.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 24, 2020 10:46PM
‘ whether Apple would be processing the customized amplification onboard the AirPods Pro with the new embedded H1 chip (unique to the AirPods Pro). Via my communications with Apple, I have confirmed that the H1 chip, with 10 audio cores, will indeed be used to locally process the sound, and Apple is promising “incredibly low audio processing latency.” ‘

That part sounds really promising!
Posted by: richorlin
Date: July 25, 2020 12:40PM
Whether Airpod Pros will reliably function as a hearing aid is debateable, but do you really want to walk around with those white Airpods hanging from your ears with the slim chance that one may fall out and get lost?
Either in-the-ear ot behind-the-ear hearing aids are practicaly invisible and will definitely do a better job at making speech more clear than AirPod Pros. They may be great at boosting the sound of music and speech but their technology will do very little to clarify human speech as well as current hearing aid technology. Plus, many of them are MFI and have iOS apps that work quite well. My iPhone sends my phone calls to both of my hearing aids so it sounds like someone is talking to me in the middle of my head. It took a little getting used to in the beginning.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 25, 2020 01:25PM
richorlin
My iPhone sends my phone calls to both of my hearing aids so it sounds like someone is talking to me in the middle of my head. It took a little getting used to in the beginning.

and what did your hearing aids cost as many of us are needing info to do a cost/benefit analysis?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: July 25, 2020 03:52PM
richorlin
Whether Airpod Pros will reliably function as a hearing aid is debateable, but do you really want to walk around with those white Airpods hanging from your ears with the slim chance that one may fall out and get lost?
Either in-the-ear ot behind-the-ear hearing aids are practicaly invisible and will definitely do a better job at making speech more clear than AirPod Pros. They may be great at boosting the sound of music and speech but their technology will do very little to clarify human speech as well as current hearing aid technology. Plus, many of them are MFI and have iOS apps that work quite well. My iPhone sends my phone calls to both of my hearing aids so it sounds like someone is talking to me in the middle of my head. It took a little getting used to in the beginning.

Having them sticking out my ears has definitely crossed my mind. Also the 4 to 4 1/2 hours run time isn't very attractive either.

Grateful11
Date: July 25, 2020 04:00PM
Thanks everyone. I may give them a shot but try to get them from someone with a return option but I'm sure our son would take them.

Grateful11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 207
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020