advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Sump pump questions
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 24, 2020 12:40PM
main Sump Pump works but is 30+ year old and the check valve in the PVC pike leak. The pump will come on for 20 seconds, water goes out, and as soon as the pump stops water from the 1.25 inch pipe flows back into the sump well.

There is a 12V DC backup pump which is of unknown age (probably not as old as the main pump) but the battery is dead. The pump does come on if I tilt the float switch, but since the battery only measures 8V I doubt the pump is able to pump much water out.

Anyway, long story short I called a plumber and he quoted me about $260 for a new pump, about $30 for check valves(s) and about an hour of labor ($100). That is probably work that I could do myself, but I prefer to let a pro do it and save my time and frustration (see cbelt3, your sink adventures made me wiser).

Anyway, I asked him to replace the backup pump and he said he needs to see it first to figure out what I have and what to order. he said the systems they install cost about $800 and with battery, charger and labor could be around $1200. That seems a lot to me. He did say the use better systems, but that still seems a lot considering that the main pump is only $260 ish.

Does that seem right? HD sells them for a few hundeds.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sump pump questions
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 24, 2020 12:46PM
For a pro level system the prices sound good. The labor sounds kind of high, unless he has to run another electrical line for the trickle charger. Power level depends on how far you have to lift the water to get it out of the basement and safely into an outside storm drain line.

I installed a cheapo HD unit and hooked it up to a deep cycle battery, not the HD battery. I also cheated and ran the trickle charger off the main sump pump outlet. I probably need to replace the battery, it's been 13 years. But it worked okay last month.
Posted by: d4
Date: July 24, 2020 01:10PM
How did your wife's glass sliding doors project work out?

Date: July 24, 2020 02:37PM
d4
How did your wife's glass sliding doors project work out?

door should come in soon.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 24, 2020 02:55PM
Don't pay a plumber to replace the check valve. That is a $15 part (at most) and could not be easier to replace yourself.

As for the pump itself... if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2020 02:56PM by AllGold.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 24, 2020 03:18PM
This project should be a lot easier than cbelt3's project.

Battery backup unit: Can you open it and remove the battery? If so, there should be some sort of identifier on it. It's probably a 12 volt automotive type battery. The rest of the battery backup unit is probably still good.

As for the check valve, there are all kinds of clamp in place check valves available. You may need to cut the discharge line to install it.

If the old sump pump works and you decide to buy a new one, keep the old one as a spare.

Also, some of the newer units connect to wifi to provide status. Might be worth considering.
Posted by: d4
Date: July 24, 2020 04:06PM
There's nothing wrong with the original main pump. Why replace it? It's only the check valve that needs replacing.

$100
Labor for replacing main sump pump.

Vs.

$1200
Labor for replacing backup sump pump.

That sounds off.

Are you getting a lot of flooding in the house? I have no doubt you researched the heck out of it before buying a house with a sump pump.

Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: July 24, 2020 04:20PM
cbelt3
For a pro level system the prices sound good. The labor sounds kind of high, unless he has to run another electrical line for the trickle charger. Power level depends on how far you have to lift the water to get it out of the basement and safely into an outside storm drain line.

I installed a cheapo HD unit and hooked it up to a deep cycle battery, not the HD battery. I also cheated and ran the trickle charger off the main sump pump outlet. I probably need to replace the battery, it's been 13 years. But it worked okay last month.

Did something similar: deep cycle/marine battery (Costco), inverter and trickle charger from Harbor Freight, 'battery box' from Wal-Mart to sit it in.

Date: July 24, 2020 05:11PM
Yeah, the more I think about it.... will try to reduce the scope of the project.

The plumber needs to come for another item that is off limits for me: replace the pressure regulator on the main line and maybe one of the valves with a 1/4 turn valve. That implies messing with the main water line and that is something I won't do.

So if he's here anyway, I may just ask him to replace the 2 check valves and then I will do my own 12V battery backup. I think a new battery should solve the issue.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 24, 2020 07:24PM
Yup. I'd say get him to do the main sump pump work.

Honestly, if you get a marine bilge pump, with built in float and check valve, it is 12 volt DC anyway. Then you just wire it to the 12v Deep Cycle battery, either a group 24 or group 27, and get a decent 2-6 amp inverter style charger with like 4 step charging, and that battery will probably last a decade. You are talking maybe $300 in hardware, with one hose hook-up, 2 wires to the battery, and whatever you do to hook up the charger, probably 2 ring terminals where the pump is hooked up.

A sump situation is no different than a bilge in a boat. Don't complicate it. Get a Rule brand pump, I think you can get a 1000 gph with a basic garden hose connection and built-in float valve too. It can be that easy. The bilge pump probably has between a 5 year to lifetime warranty. In a REAL emergency, you can run it from a battery yanked out of your car, or charge the battery from jumpers to your car.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2020 07:25PM by Racer X.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 25, 2020 06:05AM
what Racer X said!
And as I noted previously, get a Deep Cycle not a Marine Dual-Purpose battery.

Group 27 AGM if you can, pay more now for less hassles 'down the road'.
(CROWN1 Sealed Deep Cycle are a good affordable alternative to Trojan's offerings.)

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Date: July 25, 2020 11:36AM
Nailed it! [www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

or

[www.amazon.com]

And a deep cycle battery plus box and basic wiring supplies and some hose..... $300!

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2020 11:39AM by Racer X.
Date: July 25, 2020 03:32PM
yes, will do it myself. Thanks

first I found out the ProMariner 6 is dead. It shows blue LED which means power ON, but no other LED is ON, meaning it is defective. I found a similar report online. Probably that's why the battery as at 8V

I already have the box, the stand, the switch, the existing 12V pump should be OK once I use a proper battery. So now I charge the old battery with my own charger to see how the pump works, and will re-evaluate the situation after that.

the plumber will replace the check valves since he has to come for the other job anyway. No point in me getting my hands dirty and on my knees on concrete to save a few bucks.
Date: July 26, 2020 02:16AM
worst case, new battery and new charger.

That looks like a very nice charger. Good choice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 143
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020