advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
My Refrigerator sounds like my clothes dryer...
Posted by: steve...
Date: July 24, 2020 10:30PM
...when I forgot to take a belt out of my pants.

The noise seems to be originating from behind the (top mount) freezer. I removed the fan cover in the back of the freezer but everything looked OK. The refrigerator came with the house when I moved here seven years ago. It's just a very basic Hotpoint.

Time to think about replacing?

Northern California Coast
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: My Refrigerator sounds like my clothes dryer...
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 25, 2020 01:48AM
Replace, and make sure you get the old one taken away as part of the deal. A working fridge is easily sold; a broken one is a pain to dispose.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 25, 2020 02:45AM
But does your blender sound like Miami Vice reruns?

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: July 25, 2020 06:14AM
Have you put in any shirts to dry? What happened?

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 25, 2020 07:16AM
Vapor lock.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 25, 2020 07:39AM
may I suggest posting a Q at Appliance411. Very helpful lot there.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 25, 2020 08:20AM
I'm betting that you were looking at the problem and did not realize. Those noises are usually because of the last few defrost cycles did not completely get all of the moisture down the drain tube into the pan. That is the fan hitting ice. Manually defrost the unit by unplugging and opening the freezer door for 24 hours toilet room temp. melt all of that ice. You can keep stuff in the refrigerator and buy a bag of ice to put in there.

If it happens again in a short time, call a repair tech to replace the defrost heater defrost timer.

The unit is still good; otherwise you would be complaining about it not cooling. Don't replace it, fix it.

steve...
...when I forgot to take a belt out of my pants.

The noise seems to be originating from behind the (top mount) freezer. I removed the fan cover in the back of the freezer but everything looked OK. The refrigerator came with the house when I moved here seven years ago. It's just a very basic Hotpoint.

Time to think about replacing?

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 25, 2020 11:28AM
If you replace it, check with your local utility. Sometimes they will haul away older appliances and give you a utility credit. Family member just got a $75 credit for an old upright freezer.
Posted by: steve...
Date: July 25, 2020 02:25PM
modelamac
I'm betting that you were looking at the problem and did not realize. Those noises are usually because of the last few defrost cycles did not completely get all of the moisture down the drain tube into the pan. That is the fan hitting ice. Manually defrost the unit by unplugging and opening the freezer door for 24 hours toilet room temp. melt all of that ice. You can keep stuff in the refrigerator and buy a bag of ice to put in there.

If it happens again in a short time, call a repair tech to replace the defrost heater defrost timer.

The unit is still good; otherwise you would be complaining about it not cooling. Don't replace it, fix it.

Thanks. It definitely sounds like a chunk of ice bouncing around somewhere. Will get some ice this afternoon. I guess it's OK to move my frozen food to the refrigerator and then refreeze it afterwords.

About the only refrigerators available here are from Home Depot and I believe they will take my old one if it comes to that. Checked on electric company credits but didn't see any.

Thanks all for your help.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 25, 2020 03:01PM
I would fix it.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 25, 2020 07:49PM
macphanatic
If you replace it, check with your local utility. Sometimes they will haul away older appliances and give you a utility credit. Family member just got a $75 credit for an old upright freezer.

I need to get off my ass and turn in our old freezer. $30 credit on our power bill.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 25, 2020 08:29PM
.....you can put jeans in the freezer.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 26, 2020 07:58AM
Listen to modelamac, he is not only a forum expert on appliance repair, he knows what he is doing too. He has steered me correctly everytime I have had an issue.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 26, 2020 09:38AM
Ombligo
Listen to modelamac, he is not only a forum expert on appliance repair, he knows what he is doing too. He has steered me correctly everytime I have had an issue.

Flattery will get you everywhere. smiley-laughing001

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 158
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020