advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Percentage Scanning? Reality, or Pipe Dream?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 25, 2020 05:35PM
Got about 60 pages of letter size documents to scan, and most of them are super-full of edge-to-edge text. The Brother scanner cuts off bits of text whenever they're too close to the edge. I'd love to find a non-tree wasting way to scan directly at 97% or 98%. Yes, I can "copy" the stack, and print 'em at 97% (or whatever % is desired between 25% and 140%), and scan the 97% copies back at 100% into the computer, but I'm hoping y'all know of some sort of trick to get the 97% directly into the MBP. Scanning from the MBP cuts off something on most pages.

The best I've been able to come up with is to manually scan to 8.5" X 13" then trim/crop those scans, and pdf 'em at 97%. Haven't found a way to create custom scan size like Brother had on older MFC units, otherwise I'd create a 8.8" X 11.4" custom template, and go from there.

Thanks for suggestions.
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Percentage Scanning? Reality, or Pipe Dream?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 25, 2020 06:25PM
Kinkos-FedEx.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 25, 2020 08:49PM
Would Vue-Scan software let you do what you want to do? I think they have a free trial....
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 26, 2020 07:50AM
Instead of using scanner software, try going to your Mac's System Preferences, Printers and Scanners, select your Printer/Scanner, select scan, then Open Scanner.

Mine gives me the option to select a larger area which increases the edges, it also lets me reduce the scan to a smaller percentage.

I have no idea if yours will do the same, but worth checking.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 26, 2020 09:59AM
Buzz
Got about 60 pages of letter size documents to scan, and most of them are super-full of edge-to-edge text. The Brother scanner cuts off bits of text whenever they're too close to the edge. I'd love to find a non-tree wasting way to scan directly at 97% or 98%. Yes, I can "copy" the stack, and print 'em at 97% (or whatever % is desired between 25% and 140%), and scan the 97% copies back at 100% into the computer, but I'm hoping y'all know of some sort of trick to get the 97% directly into the MBP. Scanning from the MBP cuts off something on most pages.

The best I've been able to come up with is to manually scan to 8.5" X 13" then trim/crop those scans, and pdf 'em at 97%. Haven't found a way to create custom scan size like Brother had on older MFC units, otherwise I'd create a 8.8" X 11.4" custom template, and go from there.

Thanks for suggestions.
==

Ombligo has the right approach, assuming you have been using the Brother unit as a stand alone scanner, not connected to your Mac.

Both Image Capture.app and SysPref/Printer-Scanner will allow you to create the borders for the area to be scanned. In fact, they will not let you scan without doing so. The entire document will be scanned to your Desktop (or where ever you choose). No lost data around the edges. If you have some of those documents with several pages, you can combine them back into one pdf (or other format) during the scanning process.

If your document originals are larger that 8.5 x 11, it is going to depend on how large a document your Brother unit can handle.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2020 10:07AM by modelamac.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 26, 2020 12:06PM
Mikey likey idea! Gotta set up AirPrint all around, as that seems to be the only way to access the scanner via Sys Pref's. Currently, printer is enet'ed to secure subnet via DHCP, though I did assign it a static IP on the less secure subnet as well, but haven't finished that setup. The platen/scanning element look like there's another 3/8" - .4" of scanning width that might be squeezed out. Length isn't an issue, it's a legal sized flatbed.

I did a hardware test last night, and at 97% copy mode, it's cool, except without tweaking per above, it still cuts off a bit at the top and one side... ya gotta manually adjust the source document about 3/16" away from each to get the desired results.

Gotta get the scanner opened via "Open Scanner", and see what lurks under the hood....

Oh boy, more homework!
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 191
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020