advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Place your bets: Which hose clamp for a silicon fuel line (3/8" O.D.)
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 25, 2020 05:58PM
This will get sunk into the lawn mower's gas tank. So there will be a clamp to secure it to the elbow at the top, and another at the filter that sits at the bottom of the tank.

The fittings and fuel line are 1/4", but since I'm not soaking rubber fuel line in the tank (which is something like 5/8" O.D.) I can't use a regular "1/4" fuel line clamp (because those assume a rubber fuel line ... )

OK so the silicone fuel line is still 1/4" but the O.D. is 3/8" ... and also because it's silicone it's far more compressible than rubber line.

So I need clamps that could close down closer to 1/4" even though I'd never squeeze the line that tightly.

My best guess is currently a 9mm clamp, being as it is just under 3/8". Or maybe 8mm? 7mm!? So it would give a squeeze but not so much as to create a premature cut in the line?

[www.amazon.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Place your bets: Which hose clamp for a silicon fuel line (3/8" O.D.)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 25, 2020 06:23PM
Buy it at your local lawn mower repair shop.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 25, 2020 06:37PM
I've found silicone to be much less malleable than rubber, from experience installing after market hoses.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: July 25, 2020 06:41PM
Stainless adjustable band clamp, available at any auto parts store.
Posted by: Carm
Date: July 25, 2020 06:41PM
Speedy
This, also they are usually spring clamps.
[www.walmart.com]
Date: July 25, 2020 08:14PM
Carm
Speedy
This, also they are usually spring clamps.
[www.walmart.com]

10mm is larger than 3/8". They'd never get snug, which is why I wondered about 8 or 9mm.
Date: July 25, 2020 08:15PM
PeterW

The screw heads tend to be non-stainless, and the grooves in the band would more likely dig into a silicone tube and cut through.
Date: July 25, 2020 08:17PM
Speedy

This might be an option, if I can get there on a lunch break during the week on a day he's open.

Still wondering if it'd likely be an 8 or a 9mm clamp.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 25, 2020 09:33PM
deckeda
PeterW

The screw heads tend to be non-stainless, and the grooves in the band would more likely dig into a silicone tube and cut through.

And the big no-no, you never use screw band clamps to hold hose to plastic fittings.
Always use spring clamps for plastic barbs/nipple fittings.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 26, 2020 08:28AM
I’ve never seen an in tank filter being clamped to the hose. All the ones that I’ve replaced where just friction fit.
Date: July 26, 2020 09:47AM
macphanatic
I’ve never seen an in tank filter being clamped to the hose. All the ones that I’ve replaced where just friction fit.

Interesting. I get that there’s “no pressure” at the inlet end, but this will get bounced around and some day the tube will slide off. I’d be less concerned if the tank were easy to get to. I could go back to the OEM design of not using an in-tank filter (with steel pickup tube attached to elbow, so no clamps, no silicone tube) but not without replacing the tank first since cleaning it out completely isn’t realistically gonna happen.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 26, 2020 10:15AM
Do either of the two clamps need to create a perfect seal? From your description, I think all you need to have is a secure clamp, so that the hose does not fall off or lose the filter. You don't to clamp it so tight that you risk cutting the hose, but just tight enough so that it doesn't vibrate apart.

deckeda
This will get sunk into the lawn mower's gas tank. So there will be a clamp to secure it to the elbow at the top, and another at the filter that sits at the bottom of the tank.

The fittings and fuel line are 1/4", but since I'm not soaking rubber fuel line in the tank (which is something like 5/8" O.D.) I can't use a regular "1/4" fuel line clamp (because those assume a rubber fuel line ... )

OK so the silicone fuel line is still 1/4" but the O.D. is 3/8" ... and also because it's silicone it's far more compressible than rubber line.

So I need clamps that could close down closer to 1/4" even though I'd never squeeze the line that tightly.

My best guess is currently a 9mm clamp, being as it is just under 3/8". Or maybe 8mm? 7mm!? So it would give a squeeze but not so much as to create a premature cut in the line?

[www.amazon.com]

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 26, 2020 10:47AM
Thinking about this some more, I have 2 concerns:

1. The filter used must support enough fuel flow for the engine. I wonder if an in-tank filter will as most of these are used in small, 2 cycle engines.

2. Most of these clamps, while designed for fuel lines, are not intended to be submerged in the fuel. I would expect the gas to eat whatever coating is on the clamps unless they are stainless. This could cause more issues for you going forward.

I would really think about using carb cleaner or something similar to clean the tank out. Use a syphon, turkey baster or hand held vacuum pump to empty the contents. Put the original assembly back in the tank and use an external fuel filter.

Going forward, use either alcohol free gas or mix in gas treatment for alcohol based fuel. You might want to fill the tank after use (let the engine cool unless the tank is remote from the engine). This would minimize fuel vapor and may help avoid issues. At the end of the season, drain or run the tank dry.

Gas with alcohol recks havoc on many smaller engines. The newer ones seem to be a bit better, but there are still issues.
Date: July 26, 2020 01:29PM
I think all you need to have is a secure clamp, so that the hose does not fall off or lose the filter.

Pretty much
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 205
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018