advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Which Linux distro to install on a system with only 2gb ram? Prefer something with a GUI
Posted by: clay
Date: July 26, 2020 10:02PM
Have an old Dell desktop. Going to put it into service for very lightweight network backup duty for a couple of newer Dell computers. I have a small SSD for boot disk, and then a larger drive for use as the backup destination. 2GB RAM. Core 2 Duo. I know it's old, I know its slow, but I think it should be adequate for what I'm asking of it. This is kind of a "project", and I don't really want to put money in it, though I don't mind to put some time into getting it setup as I'd like.

I have Windows 10 installed on it, and that would be OK, I suppose. But I'd kind of like to use Linux instead, just as a way to diversify a little bit and see how well it will work for the intended use.

The newest Unbutu 20 recommends 4gb RAM. I assume other distros with modern GUI's would have similar requirements. I am most familiar with Ubuntu, so that's what I'd prefer. But I'm open to other options that might work as well.

Any tips? Should I just leave it on Windows 10 and deal with it? Or is it worth a little time to get Linux up and running and setup a network share on it?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Which Linux distro to install on a system with only 2gb ram? Prefer something with a GUI
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 26, 2020 10:04PM
Does puppy Linux still exist?

[puppylinux.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2020 10:06PM by ztirffritz.
Re: Which Linux distro to install on a system with only 2gb ram? Prefer something with a GUI
Posted by: timg
Date: July 26, 2020 11:29PM
You might want to look into AntiX linux.

AntiX Linux

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 28, 2020 01:56PM
Clay,

I can't imagine bringing that machine up to 4GB RAM will be expensive. If you really want to use it for linux (or anything else for that matter), it might be worth the investment. The extra RAM will give you options you lack right now.

I played with Elementary OS on a '09 Macbook Pro with a Core 2 Duo and it ran nicely. I installed it on a spare SSD for the machine just because I was intrigued by the idea of linux and wanted to check it out. Definitely a nice implentation of GUI Linux. Just not the right OS for me. Too much work to get it to do some of the basic stuff that requires nearly no work at all under the Mac OS.

Still, if I were to check out Linux again, I'd definitely go back to Elementary.

[elementary.io]

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 160
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018