advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Show of hands - who has put a 2nd drive into a MacMini 2012-ish (give or take)
Posted by: Spiff
Date: July 26, 2020 10:25PM
A few threads below explains how I'm having troubles with external drives on my Mac mini. However, I figure that I can put a second SSD drive internally. I've watched the video several times and have already swapped out the original internal drive.

Thoughts on doing the second drive? Anyone with real world experience? Would love to know.

Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Show of hands - who has put a 2nd drive into a MacMini 2012-ish (give or take)
Posted by: SurfMacJpMtb
Date: July 26, 2020 10:56PM
I used the sponsor's "Data Doubler" to add a second drive to my 2012 Mini. The second drive is a spinning hard drive. I now have an SSD for boot and a HD for additional storage. No issues such as heat or disconnects have been experienced. The installation is just like your original drive swap.

I also have an OyenDigital Mobius 5-bay attached via FW800 for media files. Knock on wood, the external drives have also been stable. I am running the latest Catalina OS.

Best of luck

Long time Mac user
Re: Show of hands - who has put a 2nd drive into a MacMini 2012-ish (give or take)
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 27, 2020 12:34AM
Unless you got the server version, the mounting hardware will be missing for the second drive. Get the kit from OWC.

I've put (or swapped) second drives in the following Unibody Minis:

2011 2.3 Core i5 Mini
2011 2.0 Core i7 Mini server
2012 2.3 Core i7 Mini
2012 2.6 Core i7 Mini server
2014 1.4 Core i5 Mini

Even broke the fan cables by accident in the 2012 2.3 but fixed 'em right up.

It's a bit intimidating doing it the first time, especially removing the motherboard, but follow iFixit's disassembly and it is straightforward. I've done it enough times that I don't need the instructions any more but don't get cocky, or you'll end up with fan wires in spots they're not supposed to be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2020 12:37AM by Lew Zealand.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 27, 2020 05:18AM
I got the server version.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: July 27, 2020 06:26AM
I have two 1TB spinning drives in my 2012 Mac Mini i7. Raid 0.

Works great except now I have to deal with a workaround to upgrade the OS. Somewhere along the line Apple stopped supporting RAID 0 drives as boot drives I guess. I'll replace the pair with a 2TB SSD at some point I guess
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 27, 2020 06:44AM
I have an SSD boot and a spinning clone. THe primary drive was cake. The secondary drive required disassembling pretty much the entire computer.

Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 27, 2020 07:02AM
Spiff,

I too got the OWC kit and added a 500GHz SSD to my 2012 mini. I then used the internal 5400rpm spinner for Time Machine. Worked a treat. Still in use that way at my daughter's house.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2020 07:03AM by modelamac.
Date: July 27, 2020 07:17AM
Lew:

Thanks! From what I have seen in multiple videos, it looks like the mounting bracket itself is there. I just have to add the grommets (minus the Wallace) and the drive. Does that seem to be the consensus? The doubler kits on OWC do not include brackets that I can see.

Mr645:

Huh. Did not think about putting them in RAID. They will be for separate purposes.

Bazookaman:

Yup, that's what I've seen in the OWC videos

modelmac:

Thanks. Glad to hear that it's still going strong with minimal to no issues.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: July 27, 2020 07:28AM
You also need the cable that connects the drive to the mobo. It’s included with both the ifixit and owc kits.
Date: July 27, 2020 10:14AM
Excellent!
Posted by: MikeF
Date: July 27, 2020 10:39AM
The forum sponsor (OWC) will do an upgrade for you for ~$100+cost of parts:
[eshop.macsales.com]

IF you can live without the machine for a while...
Posted by: neophyte
Date: July 27, 2020 12:25PM
Like others, I have the OWC kit, an SSD boot disk and the original spinner as backup. No issues, running 10.9.5 for my business.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: July 27, 2020 12:46PM
MikeF
The forum sponsor (OWC) will do an upgrade for you for ~$100+cost of parts:
[eshop.macsales.com]

IF you can live without the machine for a while...

The drawback to OWC doing the job is that you have to use OWC’s parts at OWC’s prices. If you can follow basic instructions, you can do it yourself.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 225
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018