advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is Apple TV+ (the streaming service) only available on Catalina? Can't get it to work on Mojave
Posted by: clay
Date: July 27, 2020 07:52AM
The interface of ATV+ opens up when I click on a show in the newest Safari/Firefox in the newest Mojave, but then I get a "play" icon that is crossed out and it won't play. Seems to work just fine on a Catalina machine in the ATV+ app, and also on iOS 13.

Is this just another push to get me to update my main computer to 10.15? Can't seem to find a clear answer on Apple's website, but I'm sure its there somewhere...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is Apple TV+ (the streaming service) only available on Catalina? Can't get it to work on Mojave
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 27, 2020 09:23AM
Clay,

You have to use the Apple TV app and Catalina is required for it. Found it on this link:

[support.apple.com]

Robert
Re: Is Apple TV+ (the streaming service) only available on Catalina? Can't get it to work on Mojave
Date: July 27, 2020 09:25AM
thanks for that.

It's unfortunate. I guess they'll get me one way or another (to upgrade to Catalina).
Posted by: heap1
Date: July 27, 2020 10:32AM
Apple TV+ is a paid subscription service, like Netflix. It works fine through a web browser on Mojave. If you don't have a subscription I doubt it would work on Catalina either. There are a lot of free trials going around you can sign up for. I got a 1 year free subscription when I bought my new iPhone recently. I think there are also free promos of 1 to 3 months that just require an Apple ID.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2020 10:33AM by heap1.
Date: July 27, 2020 10:39AM
heap1
Apple TV+ is a paid subscription service, like Netflix. It works fine through a web browser on Mojave. If you don't have a subscription I doubt it would work on Catalina either. There are a lot of free trials going around you can sign up for. I got a 1 year free subscription when I bought my new iPhone recently. I think there are also free promos of 1 to 3 months that just require an Apple ID.

Ok, well after reading this, I went back into Safari on Mojave and tried again, and it is now working. When I first signed up on Saturday evening, I was getting a "broken" play icon/triangle on the same browser in the same computer. perhaps there was some sort of lag in it actually registering that I had an active account and allowing me to play the content.

It appears to be working now. Thanks, all!
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 27, 2020 11:13AM
Heap1,

I have a subscription, logged in and it didn't work in Safari under Mojave.

Robert
Posted by: heap1
Date: July 27, 2020 01:20PM
There is something wrong, it works fine for me on Firefox. If you keep having problems you should call Apple Support.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 27, 2020 02:59PM
Just signed in on myMacBook, Mojave. Playing in the background...

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: datbeme
Date: July 27, 2020 11:24PM
I've only used it on the Apple TV 4K box, but I just tried in El Capitan. Got the broken play triangle in Safari. Worked fine in Chrome.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: July 29, 2020 08:24AM
FYI AppleTV+ works on the old AppleTV 3 box.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 141
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018