advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What is the Forum-approved mono Wi-Fi laser printer
Posted by: chopper
Date: July 27, 2020 10:26AM
Our tried and true Brother 2170 does not seem to have survived the last laser toner replacement. It pulls multiple pages of paper now no matter what paper we use--copy, nice, etc. Cleaning and etc does no good seemingly.

Suggestions on a replacement?

Thanks much for any
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What is the Forum-approved mono Wi-Fi laser printer
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 27, 2020 10:46AM
If you trust someone, do you trust their Brother too?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 27, 2020 10:56AM
Whatever Brother that does full duplexing that's on sale at the time. Rollers wear out.. you can replace them, but there are lots of fiddly little bits and it's a pain. Keep in mind that some Brothers handle unusual paper sizes better than others, so consider that if you need to print other than A4/Letter.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: July 27, 2020 10:57AM
I use brother mfc 9320CW. It works wirelessly and has been great for over 6 years. Ymmv.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 27, 2020 11:09AM
What's the page count on the 2170? Might be time to replace the paper feed kit which has the separation pad and feed roller. Looks like the part number is LU2545001.

Here's one for $13.

[www.amazon.com]

You can also try cleaning them first, they accumulate paper dust over the years, and the separation pad and roller may lose their grip. I'd use a damp rag to try cleaning them.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 27, 2020 11:12AM
Chopper,

Although I prefer HP printers, when it comes to basic laser models, it's tough to beat a Brother. Dollar for dollar, they offer great bang for the buck and they're always on sale. I have two 2270DW models in service and they've worked well. However, I've found their wifi is flaky. This goes for HP printers, too. Always better off hardwiring if possible.

There are several models from Brother and HP out there that'll serve you well. If you have extra toner cartridges for your existing machine, might be worth trying to get one that uses the same cartridge. Save you bucks over the long run. Always check for discounts and rebates, too. You can save some notable bucks with them.

I did note that many places are out of stock on basic monochrome printers. No doubt, due to the pandemic and so many people working from home.

Robert
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 27, 2020 11:19AM
......O, Brother......where art thou???...........

(sorry, had an attack of the Newts for a second there)

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2020 11:20AM by rjmacs.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: July 27, 2020 11:43AM
space-time
If you trust someone, do you trust their Brother too?
smiley-laughing001
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 27, 2020 11:49AM
I was a big Brother proponent for the longest time (dating back to the old Forum) but some severe problems with one of my color lasers (and Brother's 'that's not our problem' attitude) put me off of them pretty much for good. I got an HP 252dw (color) some time ago on an Amazon Gold Box sale (about 50% off) and it's been a champ and brought me back into the HP camp.

I'll echo what Robert M said via anecdotal evidence; though I stay away from their color printers, I've heard their monochrome ones (via clients, friends, reviews) are tough to beat. Ditto the "there's usually one on sale somewhere"; I check places like 9to5toys for all sorts of stuff daily; they come up from time to time, and typically for less $$$ than I pay for a single color toner cartridge.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 27, 2020 12:11PM
Bought a Brother 2280DW several years back... first three years were wifi'ed w/o incident, then networked for a couple of years, now been USB'ed at BIL/SIL's house for about three years. Still workin', so guess it was a good purchase. Try GGD's suggestions first, and if all else fails, something you like will be on sale within three weeks.
==
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 27, 2020 01:05PM
Monochrome - Brother
Color - Canon
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 27, 2020 01:38PM
I buy used low print-copy small work-group HPs from craigslist. My next to last one was $15, and lasted 5 years. I just bought one, and it cost $50.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: July 27, 2020 02:01PM
I posted the following to a similar thread in 2013. Printer performs just as well as the day I brought it home. Seems to be discontinued, but if I needed another, I'd probably do it all over again with the model closest to it.

Datbeme (October 2013)

I was in the same dilemma and thought about the Brother lasers for months...had them in my shopping cart, etc. I'm sure one of those would have been fine, but in the end, I paid double what I originally planned for an HP LaserJet Pro 400 (M401DW). Seeing that it was still only ~$250 when I got it, the price difference seemed like peanuts compared to what I've paid for printers in the past, and it seems really solid. Very happy I did this, and I love using laser again for general printing due to cost and superior bw quality. I got an Artisan 730 at about the same time for color duty, but I don't use it nearly as much.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 27, 2020 03:27PM
if you can't access those rollers with a little 3000 grit and canned air ...

I've used Canon for over a decade. I have no complaints.
Although my All-in-1 needs its' doc feeder rollers rough up a bit.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 27, 2020 03:43PM
Does anyone here use Epson Ecotank?
Any feedback?
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 27, 2020 03:55PM
rjmacs
......O, Brother......where art thou???...........

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 28, 2020 07:13AM
I'd rebuild my Brother MFCs before I bought a new one that requires chipped toner carts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 208
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018