advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Price differences US/UK
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: July 27, 2020 01:21PM
I spent a bit of today reviewing some ongoing bills like internet and phone and was wondering how the costs compare between our two countries.

I have an Android smart phone and for the last three years I have been on a plan that does everything I need. I get 1GB data, 500 minutes of calls and 5000 texts. I use minimal texts and due to hearing loss I use minimal phone calls. I probably use it more for sending and receiving in Facebook Messenger which is the App of choice for our family. I always stick on Location when heading to either daughter so they can see my progress. My monthly charge is £3.99/$5.14 and I never exceed my allowance.

The home phone line and internet are done by the same company. They provide a free router and I get unlimited download at about 30mbps (maximum possible for the moment) as well as all phone calls 24/7. No extra charges for £25.00/$32.18 per month.

How do things compare?

Paul

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Price differences US/UK
Posted by: archipirata
Date: July 27, 2020 01:29PM
Without breaking all the prices down, for a wireless plan for 2 phones, 20gb data, unlimited text and calls and unlimited 8mbps home internet we pay $200/mo.

We live in a very rural area with only one internet provider and only one cell company with good coverage so we are stuck with what we have

Athens, OH
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 27, 2020 02:21PM
Limited choices where I live, a small city in a mostly rural county. Almost the least expensive cell phone plan was to add me to my son's plan for $20 a month. My iPhone XR was purchased when my son upgraded his on a buy one, get one free deal.

There are a few plans, mostly pre-paid where you can get cell phone service for less, but to keep them active you have to keep track of more.

Internet service is "up to 6.5 Mbps" DSL for $40 a months. During promotions could get faster cable internet service from Comcast for about the sam, but I have sworn to never give them so much as another cent. The regular pricing which goes into effect after the promotion period was $73 a month the last time I looked through the fine print on the promotion offer.

Almost can get a town based internet service, fiber in the street and a wireless connection to the house, but am in the shadow of the house next door. Would not be a problem except for the aluminum siding. That would be $40 a month for 70/70 Mbps service.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2020 02:25PM by JoeH.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 27, 2020 02:57PM
I'm paying about $100/month for two iPhones sharing 4GB of data.
My home internet is through a cable TV provider and it's about $70/month. I'm hoping to soon switch it to Starlink. Living in eastern WA means that I'm a prime candidate for Starlink.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: ADent
Date: July 27, 2020 03:17PM
$100/month for 4 cell phones - unlimited data, minutes, etc. Throttled to 3Mb/s. I was using about 20-25 GB per month total. No discount on phone purchases.

$89/month for 1000 Mb up/down fiber to home internet.

Both prices are taxes included.

TV via OTA (over the air), $0.
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 27, 2020 03:40PM
4 phones (12 GB data, then throttle, unlimted everything else) + net ($30) + basic tv + hulu + prime + NF + D+ + HBO + spotify family = easliy $300

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 27, 2020 04:02PM
Home Internet:

FiOS 200/200: $39.00/month
Comcast 200/5: $39.99/month. Don't you love competition? at the old house that would be $80. Also I have both ISP, FiOS for faster upload and I keep Comcast as backup. if I cancel Comcast, cell phone bill would jump $40/month so for me Comcast is virtually free

Cell Phones: Comcast. free voice and text on Verizon network. $60/10 GB, $30/3GB and $12/1GB, each additional GB is $12. I choose 3 each month and if I exceed $60 by the time the bill comes, I switch to $60/10GB, which we never exceed. We usually use 4-7 GB per month.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 27, 2020 04:07PM
voodoopenguin
... I get 1GB data, 500 minutes of calls and 5000 texts. I use minimal texts and due to hearing loss I use minimal phone calls. I probably use it more for sending and receiving in Facebook Messenger which is the App of choice for our family. I always stick on Location when heading to either daughter so they can see my progress. My monthly charge is £3.99/$5.14 and I never exceed my allowance.

Paul

This is similar to what my family pays in Romania. for a few euros per month they have several GB of data, and I believe unlimited internet is also very affordable.

I hear arguments that US is soo much larger than any European country and it is very expensive to deploy cell networks. true in the middle of the country, but why can't you have cheap internet and cell phones on both coasts where population density is higher?
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: July 27, 2020 04:31PM
Spectrum internet: $69.99/mo
Spectrum mobile: $14/mo for unlimited talk/text, 1GB data
No home line.

In the '70's and '80's, it seemed everything in the UK was much, much higher priced than in the US. Of course, £1 = $2 at the time.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 27, 2020 04:38PM
Comcast 400/12: $50 month
Sprint 4G Unlimited Everything: $22 month including taxes & fees.
"Landline": Free VOIP w/ Google Voice

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 27, 2020 06:24PM
Could be wrong, but in the majority of the world, internet is considered a utility and regulated as such. Not so much in the US.
Posted by: DP
Date: July 27, 2020 07:22PM
My monthly charge is £3.99/$5.14 and I never exceed my allowance.

Including taxes, fees?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 27, 2020 08:07PM
space-time
I hear arguments that US is soo much larger than any European country and it is very expensive to deploy cell networks. true in the middle of the country, but why can't you have cheap internet and cell phones on both coasts where population density is higher?

Well that's a bunch of propaganda because if you try driving through some of the large empty parts of the US (say Nevada, Utah and Arizona) you will find that you have zero cell coverage over much of the state. They only provide coverage in population centers and on some parts of the most trafficked highways.

As to my bills, we pay about $200/month for 4 phones with about the same limits as Paul, and our combined internet/landline/TV is about $180 per month (though that includes a couple of premium TV channels like Acorn TV (Brit content) and HBO Max (premium movies). I think that without the premium stuff it would be about $150/month. These things have always been way more expensive in the US due to the monopolies and lack of effective government regulation.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2020 08:10PM by davester.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 27, 2020 08:10PM
Cell: Unlimited domestic calls and texts, 4GB of data (with rollover data so right now I've got about 6GB banked), on a group discount plan for $64/month.

House-phone: $20/month for 400 minutes US/Canada VOIP... Been thinking about jumping to another provider. I think I can get that down to $15/month or less, or I may end up parking the phone number with a forwarding service that rings my cell.

Internet's $75/month for what was 26Mbps, but was recently boosted to 100Mbps. Comcast. Monopoly-pricing. The only "competition" in this area is 768kbps DSL.

Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: July 28, 2020 12:29AM
DP
My monthly charge is £3.99/$5.14 and I never exceed my allowance.

Including taxes, fees?

Yes. Over here quoted prices in shops, online and everywhere else include those so we know the exact price we will be paying and not have to think about additions. The exception to that is between businesses where often the prices quoted are ex VAT but that will be shown.

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018