advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What's the most powerful and reasonably straightforward Hackintosh for $1000?
Posted by: clay
Date: July 27, 2020 10:04PM
leave monitor, keyboard, mouse and other accessories out of this. Somebody gives you $1k and a week to put something together, what would you get?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What's the most powerful and reasonably straightforward Hackintosh for $1000?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 27, 2020 10:26PM
I'd get a NUC and probably spend the week working out driver issues and getting WiFi going.

Re: What's the most powerful and reasonably straightforward Hackintosh for $1000?
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 27, 2020 11:03PM
I have been out of the hackintosh game for too long to be of any use. All I'm good for is to send you here:

[www.tonymacx86.com]

Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 27, 2020 11:22PM
AllGold
I have been out of the hackintosh game for too long to be of any use. All I'm good for is to send you here:

[www.tonymacx86.com]

This is a good starting point.

Depends upon what you mean by 'powerful' - and thats mostly a question of your CPU vs GPU needs.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 27, 2020 11:59PM
Need a little more info. What OS do you want to use, and as mattkime mentioned, CPU or GPU? Video editing, Photoshop, huge excel spreadsheets?

For purely performance for dollar, I would likely build something around a 9700k.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 28, 2020 12:10AM
I'd go for something pretty close to the customac mini deluxe. But I'd also be tempted to increase the budget a little bit and get a RYZEN 9 3900X - 12 core to the customac's 8.

I think for a while Apple was on par CPU wise with the PC world. Maybe they still are when it comes to laptops but there's currently a huge gap on the desktop.

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: July 28, 2020 12:41AM
clay
leave monitor, keyboard, mouse and other accessories out of this. Somebody gives you $1k and a week to put something together, what would you get?

I'd get this:

[www.apple.com]
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 28, 2020 11:15AM
Clay,

I priced out a CustoMac Mini Deluxe and it came it at about $1225 without RAM and storage. A CustoMAc Mini without storage is about $600 or so. Factor in a 1TB M.2 SSD and the price is about $750.00. A base model current version Mac Mini is about $999.

The hackintosh offers is less expensive and offers flexibility in internal storage and RAM but then you need to play games to keep it running properly. The actual Mac lacks a flexibility when it comes to internal storage and RAM but it just works. No games necessary to make it run the Mac OS properly.

My time and need for solid reliability is more valuable than saving $150.00. I'd get Apple produced box. That said, if I could spare the bucks, I'd build a hackintosh just for the experience and fun of it. I wouldn't go out of my way to build one as a primary computer. Just not cost effective.

Robert
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 28, 2020 11:29AM
clay
Somebody gives you $1k and a week to put something together, what would you get?

Robert M
The hackintosh offers is less expensive and offers flexibility in internal storage and RAM but then you need to play games to keep it running properly.

Robert M FTW. When it comes to a Hackintosh, the unicorn has always been the "reasonably straightforward" machine that you can get with "$1K and a week to put something together."

If they were that easy to build and maintain, they'd be a heckuva lot more popular than they are, and there'd be a thriving grey-market business for BTO guaranteed-to-work Hackintoshes.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: July 28, 2020 11:31AM
thanks for the ideas so far. Here's a bit more explanation of where I'm coming from:

Maybe 4 years ago I built a hackintosh for use as my primary work Mac. Worked well for 6 months, then had a hardware issue that made me lose my confidence in the concept. I went back to a proper Mac after that failure, and was able to recoup my investment in selling all the hackintosh parts.

I've always had a desktop and laptop. And even now I have a very nice 2017 27" iMac alongside a new 13" MBP. I may have an opportunity to sell my iMac for a very good price and I'm considering doing so. But I'd need something as a replacement.

I hesitate putting $$$ into a different current Mac with the ARM transition impending, I just have the sense that one year from now we'll have a better picture of what that will look like for the Mac lineup. My suspicion is that it will mean big performance gains and other benefits of the technology. I like to keep my Macs reasonably current, so making a big investment into a desktop Intel Mac right now doesn't make a whole lot of sense in my mind. Hence, the foray into wondering about a hackintosh as a stopgap measure.

If I can drop $1000-$1500 into a nice Hackintosh now that will get me 1-2 years of useful life, that would be a worthwhile effort.

I do a good bit of audio work and video work in FCP X. Then other general stuff. I have my storage and backup needs already in place. I would just need to pick up a nice 4k monitor if I went this route.

If you have any other thoughts, feel free to share. Thanks!
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 28, 2020 12:57PM
Clay,

As much as I like the idea of Apple Silicon based Macs, I'd be leery of purchasing the first generation of them. The inability to run older software, compatibility issues, buggy software and hardware are all potential issues.

For now, I'd rather stick with an Intel based Mac that is configured just the way I need it configured and runs exactly the way I want it to run and is rock solid reliable with minimal fuss necessary on my part to keep it operating properly. I'm not convinced a Hackintosh will meet that standard. This part of your post tells me everything I need to know:

"Maybe 4 years ago I built a hackintosh for use as my primary work Mac. Worked well for 6 months, then had a hardware issue that made me lose my confidence in the concept."

With that in mind, if I was in your position, I'd either keep the 2017 iMac and use it until such a time as you're ready to make a leap to an Apple Silicon based Mac or sell your 2017 iMac and use the funds to buy a new or refurbished properly configured current model iMac and use it until your ready to make the leap to Apple Silicon.

Robert
Posted by: ADent
Date: July 28, 2020 02:33PM
Pick something on a list that is well supported. Much easier to get support.

My Hack from 2011 is still going strong. I have upgraded drives, added USB 3.0, added Bluetooth, upgraded video a couple of times.

The pain points have been upgrading from 10.x to 10.y. (I started on 10.6, then 10.9, 10.11 and now 10.13). The later have been somewhat annoying since my machine is so old, it is a bit non-standard these days.

My machine is so old that for every security update I have to reinstall the audio driver. Takes 30 sec or so and a reboot.

Honestly it is more stable than the previous Apple Mac mini that it replaced.
Date: July 28, 2020 02:34PM
Which CPU does the iMac have?

Date: July 28, 2020 02:34PM
AllGold

the i7 4.2 GHz
Date: July 28, 2020 02:44PM
clay
AllGold

the i7 4.2 GHz

An i7-7700K, so you're looking at maybe an i7-9700K or just the i7-9700 (no K). I think an i9 would be overkill. It's hard to say, but a 6-core i5-9600K might perform as well as your iMac.

Posted by: fauch
Date: July 28, 2020 03:43PM
I made one a few years back and it cost me around 650 bucks total.
But I didn't get a dedicated GPU which would have cost more because I don't need it. 16 GB of RAM is more than enough for me. I probably could have gotten away with 8.

It was cheaper than the Mini at the time and a HELLUVA lot more powerful and upgradable. I didn't need to hack any drivers or anything of the sort (except to install the correct audio kext after each update which takes seconds). Everything else worked out of the box. Even got iMessage and Facetime to work with a little tinkering.

It really depends on what you need it for. But you can get a lot of power for not a lot of money. Tonymac has many preset options or you can brew your own with the most compatible components. I honestly can't see myself buying another genuine Mac desktop... Well until Intel is no longer supported...
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 28, 2020 06:55PM
Didn't Markintosh post recently about a new build?

On phone, sorry I can't research.
Date: July 28, 2020 08:08PM
mrbigstuff
Didn't Markintosh post recently about a new build?

On phone, sorry I can't research.

MacArtist did: [forums.macresource.com]

Thanks for the memory jog. His build seems like a decent machine for right about $1000.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 236
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018