advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need Some Cordless Drill Advice
Posted by: JoeM
Date: July 28, 2020 09:21AM
I had a tree cut down at the far end of my property. The stump couldn't be removed as the tree was too near the corners of chain link fencing. The stump is now producing numerous sapling branches and unfortunately I found out after cutting the tree down that I'll need to kill the tree in order to stop it.

I've watched videos on how to do it and it requires drilling 1/2 holes about 10-12" deep into the top and applying Epsom salts. I need to purchase a cordless drill in order to drill the holes as I only have a 12 volt home duty drill that would not be powerful enough to do it. I don't want to rent a drill and would rather spend a bit more and own it but I'm looking for the cheapest solution as I probably won't be using the drill often.

So far this Dewalt seems like the best deal I can currently find:
[www.cpooutlets.com]

I'm guessing this would probably have enough torque to drill the holes at the needed depth but I wanted to get opinions from folks here with more "drill experience" (have at it, Newt! smiley-laughing001 )

Also, I see a lot of cheep $60-79 Chinese drills like POPOMAN on Amazon. Since I'm not planning to use this drill often could I get by with one of those?

TIA

JoeM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2020 09:21AM by JoeM.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need Some Cordless Drill Advice
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 28, 2020 09:37AM
I've a 15yo or so DeWalt for around the house stuff.
Been very good to me.
Though the batts are sad now, they still take a charge, but only good for a short time.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: steve...
Date: July 28, 2020 09:44AM
Your 12 volt home duty drill might work if you go slow and periodically pull it out to eject the chips.

Don't know how big the stump is or how many holes you need but it might be worth a try.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: July 28, 2020 09:52AM
Looks like a decent drill, especially with a 1/2" capacity and 2 batteries. That drill is also available on Amazon for the same price and with Prime delivery.[www.amazon.com]
You might want to consider an auger bit for drilling into a tree stump. Don't know what diameter bit you need but here's a 5/8" X 12" bit on Amazon. [www.amazon.com]
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 28, 2020 09:55AM
Unless you have another use for the drill, I would consider trying to rent one. You need to drill holes that are at least 1/2 inch (preferably larger) in diameter and up to 12 inches deep. This will be very time consuming with most consumer grade cordless drills, especially if the stump hasn't dried out.

Based upon your comments, I would assume that it's too far to run extension cords for a corded drill. Do you have or can you borrow a generator to run a corded drill?

You may want a drill that has a handle that screws or attaches to the side to help minimize twisting.

Another option may be to do plunge cuts with a chainsaw.

Have you considered getting heavy, black plastic to cover the stump? You might also be able to cover the top of the stump with tar or similar (not as environmentally friendly though).
Date: July 28, 2020 09:55AM
steve...
Your 12 volt home duty drill might work if you go slow and periodically pull it out to eject the chips.

Don't know how big the stump is or how many holes you need but it might be worth a try.

Steve, the stump is pretty large and I’ll need to drill a dozen or more holes so I think my little 12 v wouldn’t do it and if it could it would take forever. A guy that did a video on YouTube actually used a 12 v at first but advised against it and he wound up getting a 10amp corded drill to do his. I can’t get ac that rfar out to the end of my property so Im stuck using a cordless.

JoeM
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 28, 2020 10:07AM
Cheaper option - grab a chorded drill.

Home depot has the same offer. I think you'll be happy with that drill but the battery might slow you down for that project. But maybe not, not sure. Atomic is the consumer line which likely doesn't matter for you but the smaller battery might.

Upgrade option - [slickdeals.net] - but you're probably not in the market for an impact driver.

---

If you're otherwise well served by your 12 volt drill and don't see a need for a new drill outside this project I'd just pick up a chorded drill.

Posted by: norse
Date: July 28, 2020 10:14AM
My tree guy put some, according to him, real good stump killer that is no longer made. If you don't mind the stump, you may want to check into this.
Posted by: michael_s
Date: July 28, 2020 10:20AM
Have you considered doing it the old fashioned way?

Hand drill
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 28, 2020 10:32AM
we had a little cordless drill discussion not long ago: [forums.macresource.com]

assuming you are planning to use a auger style bit, not a drill bit, more cost.

I agree that your drill could do it, just slowly, and might take a few full battereis.

of course, if you are just looking for an excuse for a new drill... then Im all in.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 28, 2020 10:35AM
If you want to BUY, then the DeWalt looks good.

If you just want to get rid of the stump, why not see if you know someone who can lend you a powerful corded one?

And FWIW, I've had very good luck with high-rated aftermarket batteries--seems like they all come from China, but they've worked well for me.
Date: July 28, 2020 10:42AM
Thanks gang. A few of you mentioned corded drills but as I mentioned, the stump is at the end of my property, about 30 feet or better away from the house so corded would be a problem, which is why I’m thinking of a cordless drill

JoeM
Posted by: d4
Date: July 28, 2020 10:43AM
Have you tried drilling with the 12V?
If it's slow but do-able, that's $100 saved in your pocket.

If you are set on purchasing a new tool. Consider upping your budget and getting one with the hammer drill feature. This way you can drill the stump now and in the future you have the ability to turn the dial and drill into brick and concrete if the need arrises.

Posted by: jdc
Date: July 28, 2020 10:44AM
30 feet? Ummmmm extension cord?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: July 28, 2020 10:46AM
norse
My tree guy put some, according to him, real good stump killer that is no longer made. If you don't mind the stump, you may want to check into this.

I found out after the guy cut the tree down that this was an easy solution but it has to be applied literally minutes after the tree is cut down in order to work. At this point I need to drill the holes and even cut diagonally into the sides in order to introduce the stump killer.

JoeM
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 28, 2020 10:48AM
I think the only thing you will chew through is batteries if you have to drill that many holes that size. That's a LOT of augering and will take a long time with a cordless. I would definitely just get a corded version. You MUST know someone who has one. Usually, that's what people buy before they realize they can do everything with a cordless so it's just laying around. I only bring mine out once in a blue moon. And like jdc said...extension cord.

edit. But also buy a new cordless. New tools are always good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2020 10:49AM by bazookaman.
Date: July 28, 2020 10:49AM
michael_s
Have you considered doing it the old fashioned way?

Hand drill

LOL! No. Maybe if I was 40 but that ship sailed a long time ago. Plus arthritis in both thumbs makes it rough to work with hand tools for long periods of time.

JoeM
Date: July 28, 2020 10:55AM
d4

If you are set on purchasing a new tool. Consider upping your budget and getting one with the hammer drill feature. This way you can drill the stump now and in the future you have the ability to turn the dial and drill into brick and concrete if the need arrises.

No I haven’t tried it, it’s a Black and Decker consumer drill that I got as a free gift one year from my company. It’s fine for light home projects but based on my experience with it I can’t see it drilling that many 12” deep holes in a reasonable length of time and I think it could possibly burn out.

I have a corded 14v hammer drill already but again the stump is too far away from the house to run power.

JoeM
Posted by: John B.
Date: July 28, 2020 11:01AM
If 30 feet is really the distance from house to stump, get an extension cord and a corded drill.

Practical experience....I rebuilt a planter box around a tree in my front yard a couple years ago out of landscape timbers. Had to drill through about 12-14" of timber to drop rebar through to keep them in alignment. With a cordless drill, this was 1 hole per battery charge, if I was lucky (Ryobi or Milwaukee, I have both). Corded mid-grade homeowner Bosch drill, no problem. And these were not 1/2" diameter holes.
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 28, 2020 11:01AM
That looks like a VERY good deal.

Dewalt has a history of GOOD products and, I have not heard anything recently that would change that opinion. I believe that Dewalt's claim of 20VDC is puffery (really an 18VDC battery that when measured when it comes off the charger is 20VDC but, once you start using it, the voltage quickly drops to the standard 18VDC). About five years ago, The Dewalt 18VDC NiCad batteries I had were pretty well shot. In addition to switching to a LiIon chemistry, I also switched to Milwaukee tools which I believe IS a "step up" in tool quality. I've been VERY happy with the Milwaukee tools I've bought and, have NO "buyers remorse". I'd recommend that you look at the "long game". Is it possible that you'll acquire additional cordless tools? If so, Milwaukee has HUNDREDS of LiIOn based tools in both 18VDC and 12VDC. Dewalt, Makita and Ryobi also have an array of tools so, on ANY of these platforms many tools can use the same batteries. NOTE newer "brushless" tools are more powerful and more compact than "traditional motors. If however, you seriously doubt you'll ever want / need more cordless tools, you might want to "go cheap" with Harbor Freight or Northern tool brands.

[www.harborfreight.com]

PS FDO use a long "auger" bit. Auger bits have exaggerated flutes which help in keeping the bit clear from wood chips.

[www.homedepot.com]

[www.homedepot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2020 11:10AM by testcase.
Date: July 28, 2020 11:02AM
JoeM
Thanks gang. A few of you mentioned corded drills but as I mentioned, the stump is at the end of my property, about 30 feet or better away from the house so corded would be a problem, which is why I’m thinking of a cordless drill

Is that 30 or 300 feet away? Extension cord if 30 feet.
Date: July 28, 2020 11:04AM
jdc
30 feet? Ummmmm extension cord?

I think I’d be losing voltage at the length I’d need and maybe run into overheating or stalling. Am I wrong in assuming that?

JoeM
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 28, 2020 11:06AM
Walmart has a new line of tools you might look at. I would consider an extension cord and corded drill of going at it with a chain saw. Even if the drill plan goes flawlessly, it's going to take a long time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2020 11:07AM by Dennis S.
Date: July 28, 2020 11:09AM
Since you guys seem to think I can make it with an extension Im going to give it a shot with my 14 v hammer drill. I’m eyeballing the distance right now so hopefully it isn’t more than thirty feet. I guess if it doesn’t work out I can always buy the DeWalt I linked to.

Thanks for the advise, I’ll let you know how it goes!

JoeM
Date: July 28, 2020 11:16AM
I've used a 100 feet extension cord with a reciprocating saw to cut large tree roots without problem. You can always get a larger gauge cord.
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 28, 2020 11:18AM
"I think I’d be losing voltage at the length I’d need and maybe run into overheating or stalling. Am I wrong in assuming that?"

You could be. An extension cord that has 12ga wires would be safe out 50'. 10ga wires would get you a useful working length of 100'.

I've bought GE brand, 35' extension cords that had 12ga wires at warehouse cubs. I forget the exact price but, I seem to remember a two pack for ~ $30. (that was several years ago.

When done using ANY extension cord, wipe it clean and coil it for easy storage. You'll get YEARS of service from them.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: July 28, 2020 11:31AM
JoeM
So far this Dewalt seems like the best deal I can currently find:
[www.cpooutlets.com]

Although it may be a good deal for a DeWalt drill, it's probably not the right drill for this task. It's their compact version, so it's less powerful and it comes with tiny batteries. You'd probably be able to drill 1-2 holes per battery, maybe?

For the task you're describing, you'd probably want something like this or better: [www.cpooutlets.com]
Which is $260, but has 535 "unit watts" vs 340 of the $99 drill, and 4Ah batteries vs 1.5Ah. (I'm not necessarily recommending this drill, as I only briefly glanced through the other options to find a comparison).

I would definitely go with the extension cord and wired drill since you have one. The extra power and not dealing with batteries will be worth it for this task.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: July 28, 2020 11:37AM
[www.cpooutlets.com] (DCD996) appears to be the current equivalent of the DeWalt drill I have (DCD995) which is a drill I believe could actually handle this task, but this kit is $299.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: July 28, 2020 11:38AM
I repaired my wood mailbox post using 6" lag bolts. The closest outlet was in my garage, about 90 feet away. Two by 50' extension cords (14g) worked fine. My drill powered the lag bolts right in (predrilled holes) without stalling.
Date: July 28, 2020 11:43AM
testcase
"I think I’d be losing voltage at the length I’d need and maybe run into overheating or stalling. Am I wrong in assuming that?"

You could be. An extension cord that has 12ga wires would be safe out 50'. 10ga wires would get you a useful working length of 100'.

I've bought GE brand, 35' extension cords that had 12ga wires at warehouse cubs. I forget the exact price but, I seem to remember a two pack for ~ $30. (that was several years ago.

When done using ANY extension cord, wipe it clean and coil it for easy storage. You'll get YEARS of service from them.

I think my 100' cord is 14 ga. and it worked fine. A hand drill won't require 10 ga. which is pretty heavy wire. You're not running heavy equipment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2020 11:46AM by norse.
Date: July 28, 2020 11:45AM
neophyte
I repaired my wood mailbox post using 6" lag bolts. The closest outlet was in my garage, about 90 feet away. Two by 50' extension cords (14g) worked fine. My drill powered the lag bolts right in (predrilled holes) without stalling.

That’s great, sounds like it should work for me then. Since I won’t use it much after this project, I certainly don’t want to invest in the cordless models that would handle it like those the guys listed above.

JoeM
Date: July 28, 2020 11:51AM
I think the Epsom salt option will take too long. I've been thinking, and I'm in favor of an extension cord and an electric chain saw. Electric chain saws are cheap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2020 11:54AM by Dennis S.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: July 28, 2020 12:06PM
I like the idea of the extension cord and corded drill. I have done wood working with both. Nothing beats a corded drill for torque, power and longevity. They may be heavier, but they get the job done. I think you should be ok without having any stalling.

I like the Auger bit as well. Can't tell you how many times I have spun the bit and burned wood( and the bit) because the wood did not clear the grooves. I now drill half way, pull out and clear the bit, and then proceed the rest of the way. It's a pain, but keeps the bits working longer. The auger bit will negate most of that. And if you have to drill as many holes as you say, then a regular it is probably going to be ruined by the time you are done.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 28, 2020 12:45PM
I like the idea of the extension cord and corded drill.

Agreed.

I tried using a table saw at the end of two 25' extension cords and it wouldn't start.

But a 3/8" Craftsman drill had no problem.

I imagine a 1/2" drill would also be no problem.

Cutting some of it up with a chain saw might be a good idea.

Then make it a hobby to dig down around the dead/dying cutting roots that might make removal a possibility.

Make it your personal white whale.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: July 28, 2020 01:13PM
RAMd®d

Make it your personal white whale.

So you're saying to use excessive amounts of dynamite and blow it up?

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: July 28, 2020 01:33PM
Using a chainsaw isn’t an option, the tree actually had grown around and over the fence and the guy who cut it down cut as close as possible. That’s why he left the stump. He couldn’t get any closer with the saw due to the fence. I’m not interested in removing the stump. I just want to stop the sapling branches from continuing to grow. They will become a problem by growing into my 3 bordering neighbors yards if left alone.

JoeM
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 28, 2020 01:37PM
JoeM
Using a chainsaw isn’t an option, the tree actually had grown around and over the fence and the guy who cut it down cut as close as possible. That’s why he left the stump. He couldn’t get any closer with the saw due to the fence. I’m not interested in removing the stump. I just want to stop the sapling branches from continuing to grow. They will become a problem by growing into my 3 bordering neighbors yards if left alone.

If the saplings are growing from the top of the stump, I would just coat it with something.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 28, 2020 01:49PM
mattkime
Upgrade option - [slickdeals.net] - but you're probably not in the market for an impact driver.

Home Depot had a similar deal last month for $159 for the ATOMIC brushless version of these. Great deal. I picked one up to replace my 25-year old cordless 12V Craftsman drill.

It is what it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2020 01:55PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 28, 2020 01:57PM
JoeM

A 50-foot extension cord would solve that problem and cost much less than a new drill.

But I'd opt for the new drill, too. smiling smiley

It is what it is.
Date: July 28, 2020 02:01PM
There is a herbicide called Arsenal that is supposed to work, if you're OK with poison.
Date: July 28, 2020 02:21PM
macphanatic
JoeM

If the saplings are growing from the top of the stump, I would just coat it with something.

Oddly they are not growing from the cut top. They are growing for the sides and there are quite a lot of them.

JoeM
Posted by: John B.
Date: July 28, 2020 03:02PM
After it dries out a bit...a house a couple blocks from me did a pretty decent job of burning out a stump by piling charcoal briquettes around it and burning it out slowly.
Date: July 28, 2020 03:37PM
John B.
After it dries out a bit...a house a couple blocks from me did a pretty decent job of burning out a stump by piling charcoal briquettes around it and burning it out slowly.

I’ve heard of people doing that but it wouldn’t be an option for me because my property and my 3 neighbors properties actually meet and touch right at the corner where the stump is.

JoeM
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: July 28, 2020 04:03PM
I've had a number of stumps over the years grow saplings the first year after being cut. Almost all of them stopped growing after cutting the saplings. I had one stump I had to do twice, but then it too stopped trying to grow.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 28, 2020 05:27PM
Extension cords covering 200 feet are no problem. You will use them far more often in the future. We use them to power our hedge trimmer. Get a 100' extension cord, a corded power ½ inch drill motor, and a long ½" bit and get the job done.

Then have a garage sale and put a $50 price tag on it, or give it to a relative for a present.

JoeM
d4

No I haven’t tried it, it’s a Black and Decker consumer drill that I got as a free gift one year from my company. It’s fine for light home projects but based on my experience with it I can’t see it drilling that many 12” deep holes in a reasonable length of time and I think it could possibly burn out.

I have a corded 14v hammer drill already but again the stump is too far away from the house to run power.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Date: July 28, 2020 08:52PM
wolfcry911
I've had a number of stumps over the years grow saplings the first year after being cut. Almost all of them stopped growing after cutting the saplings. I had one stump I had to do twice, but then it too stopped trying to grow.

I've had to cut them 3 x already and each time there seems like there are much more. I think the tree guy said it was a Paw Paw tree. It's a weird tree with big leaves and droopy branches.

JoeM
Date: July 28, 2020 08:57PM
modelamac
Extension cords covering 200 feet are no problem. You will use them far more often in the future. We use them to power our hedge trimmer. Get a 100' extension cord, a corded power ½ inch drill motor, and a long ½" bit and get the job done.

Then have a garage sale and put a $50 price tag on it, or give it to a relative for a present.

JoeM
d4

I've got the extension cords already and a 6 amp 1/2 corded hammer drill so all I need is the auger bit and I'm good to go. You guys saved me a good chunk of change. Would of been nice to have that drill though ...boink smiley

JoeM
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 28, 2020 09:35PM
Since you don't see an ongoing use for the drill, I agree with Testcase and the suggestion to buy a Harbor Freight drill. They have 20% coupons all over the place (check the comics in a Sunday paper if you haven't run into one). The 18V, 3/8" $35 lithium would cost you $28. They have a 90 day warranty so consider that a measure of the quality. But, I'd bet it will do the job.
Date: July 28, 2020 10:37PM
Harbor Freight will probably rustle up a coupon if you can't find one. Make a copy of your receipt; the ones I've had fade real fast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2020 10:38PM by Dennis S.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: July 29, 2020 04:11AM
I had 3 tall (70 foot) trees cut down last month and the stumps were all ground. Today, I have 4 saplings that are 2-3 feet high growing from the tree roots. When, I got the stumps ground, they also removed some 5-6 inch diameter tree roots. I imagine the saplings are growing from the smaller tree roots. These tree roots spread far (probably 100 foot diameter) so I’ll be cutting down saplings for a few months/years until the roots finally decompose.

HomeDepot sells stump killer. I’ve used this in the past and it takes about a year to dissolve the stump.

Talking about drills, I bought the 18v NiCd Cordless Drill from Harbor Freight last week - $25 bundled with 1 battery, charger and a flashlight. The drill is quite a bit more powerful than my old 12v NiCd Cordless Drill I bought from Harbor Freight 15 years ago - still on the original battery!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 223
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018