advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
customer service Chevy
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 28, 2020 09:53AM
as I posted a few weeks back, I had a number of broken keys on my '13 MBA. Brought it to my local quarantined Apple store that had just reopened.
In and out 15 mins, no charge and friendly service.

My spouse brought her 2009 Chevy Silverado to service just to get parts for the tail gate. The parts are small plastic clips that are a common failure point and haven't been updated since '99 ... at least.

Chevy wanted $20 for a pair, "honey".
Ya wanna see flames shoot out someones eyes who doesn't care for man'splainin'.
3 pair for $6, mail order, ppd.
Yes, I'm sure they are not OEM, but prolly the same Chinese source as Chevy. And pretty much what all the youtube vids show.

Though Chevy trucks are well made, unlike many of their cheap ass cars, we have found, at least locally, that the dealers are thieving lying sumbitches.
I'd have thought she'd have better luck where she is quarantined now.
But no, greed is good.
She was lucky to get the last 3 Silverados from a dealer she used to know.

Wish we hadn't bailed out the big 3. They are overpaid CEO, low wage factory worker, out of touch, shareholder failures just waiting to fall.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: customer service Chevy
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 28, 2020 10:35AM
"that the dealers are thieving lying sumbitches" angry villagers smiley

You have hit the nail squarely on its' head. (and yes, that IS a sad state of affairs).
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 28, 2020 10:49AM
you know they have a bulk bag of those at about 6 cents a piece.........

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: July 28, 2020 10:58AM
Racer X
you know they have a bulk bag of those at about 6 cents a piece.........

think they were that much?

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 28, 2020 11:54AM
“Stealerships”.
The misogyny is strong with the automotive industry.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 28, 2020 11:58AM
but prolly the same Chinese source as Chevy

And it's not just small, plastic parts either!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Schpark
Date: July 28, 2020 11:59AM
Try this:

[www.amazon.com]

Watch the video to see that they are not all created equal.

$21 for 465 pieces.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 28, 2020 12:05PM
Unless I'm in a hurry or it's a large part, I tend to buy all OEM parts online. There are a bunch of dealers out there that sell OEM parts cheaper, even with shipping, then local dealerships. Oversized items may cost too much to ship.

Rockauto is one of my preferred sources. They tend to have the better quality parts at prices that are much cheaper than dealers or parts stores.
Date: July 28, 2020 12:19PM
stealerships for sure.
though the experience was the worst with chevy, other than, as I said, the buys from someone she knew.
at the time he was also Saab for our 2 Saabs .... til Chevy f'd that up but good.
When I went car shopping 6 years ago, after my mechanic gave me a funny face about wanting to repair my 2001 Saabvy ... again, I stayed Euro and Asian.
Other than Merc, I found the Euro dealers pretty easy to deal with, after a fashion.
I had to try a couple Hyundai dealers to get one with less bs.
I have ended up with 2 Volvos in a row (now mostly Chinese ... as well).
Easier to make deals on sedans than SUVs. They ain't selling much.
I am aching for a Tesla, if I work ever again. Couple friends have them and love them. But a few shares of stock may be the closest I get.
Other than a Walmart greeter, seems unlikely.
So maybe a beat-up '72 Dodge with dog pee seats, different colored body panels and a mysterious creak.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 28, 2020 12:21PM
Back in the mid-80s I tried to get replacement screws for a poorly-designed Chevy door latch (screws would loosen with vibration & fall out)...local dealer's parts department claimed they couldn't even find them on their order system, so I ended up stealing a screw from passenger side to fix the driver's side.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2020 12:23PM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 28, 2020 12:46PM
Check on thingiverse. Someone may have modeled the plastic piece in question. There's a clip that holds a cargo net on the Volt that is a known failure point. Same deal. Dealer wanted $10/ea for them. I printed my own for about $.45.

[www.thingiverse.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 28, 2020 12:50PM
Is it this clip:
[www.thingiverse.com]

or maybe this one:

[www.thingiverse.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: July 28, 2020 01:02PM
@ztirffritz

both prolly work, but she bought the 3 sets for $6.
Interesting site.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 28, 2020 01:05PM
Fritz
stealerships for sure.
though the experience was the worst with chevy, other than, as I said, the buys from someone she knew.
at the time he was also Saab for our 2 Saabs .... til Chevy f'd that up but good.
When I went car shopping 6 years ago, after my mechanic gave me a funny face about wanting to repair my 2001 Saabvy ... again, I stayed Euro and Asian.
Other than Merc, I found the Euro dealers pretty easy to deal with, after a fashion.
I had to try a couple Hyundai dealers to get one with less bs.
I have ended up with 2 Volvos in a row (now mostly Chinese ... as well).
Easier to make deals on sedans than SUVs. They ain't selling much.
I am aching for a Tesla, if I work ever again. Couple friends have them and love them. But a few shares of stock may be the closest I get.
Other than a Walmart greeter, seems unlikely.
So maybe a beat-up '72 Dodge with dog pee seats, different colored body panels and a mysterious creak.

Boy did GM screw Saab up. My dad had one of the last models made by Saab. Great car. My sister had one of the first Saab's truly made under GM. What a difference and disappointment.

ztirffritz
Check on thingiverse. Someone may have modeled the plastic piece in question. There's a clip that holds a cargo net on the Volt that is a known failure point. Same deal. Dealer wanted $10/ea for them. I printed my own for about $.45.

[www.thingiverse.com]

There are so many replacement parts that people have modeled and are available for download. Just need a 3D printer and a general understanding of the best material to use for the intended purpose. I've printed replacement parts for myself, friends and family.
Date: July 28, 2020 01:45PM
thingiverse is pretty cool.
wish someone made a part for our wet mop bottle.
Every year $10 for a bottle for some teense 1¢ rubber nipple.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 28, 2020 01:45PM
Bill in NC
Back in the mid-80s I tried to get replacement screws for a poorly-designed Chevy door latch (screws would loosen with vibration & fall out)...local dealer's parts department claimed they couldn't even find them on their order system, so I ended up stealing a screw from passenger side to fix the driver's side.

Parts yards were a great place to find stuff like this back in the day.

It is what it is.
Date: July 28, 2020 01:47PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Parts yards were a great place to find stuff like this back in the day.

yea, miss that. Was looking for the bumper cover for our 2005 Honda.
Nada.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 28, 2020 08:10PM
Dealerships are also independent of the marques which they hawk. When you have a problem with a dealer that truly effs up your car in service, the brand will, more often than not, tell you there's nothing they can do, it's independently owned. And vice-versa is also true. Scammy all around.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 28, 2020 08:46PM
....did you drive the Chevy....to the levee.....and was it dry........????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 29, 2020 08:36PM
Everyone is like that. There isn't a part in their systems less than $20. The little windshield washer spray nozzles in the hood were $26 each from Dodge. $3 on Amazon.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 29, 2020 09:28PM
Quite some time ago, I had a buddy running the parts dept at the closest Chevy dealership. He'd just go in back to the shop, and grab the tiny crap from the service dept's shop supplies cabinet. That's how to earn customers for life.

He also knew not to ask when I gave him a part number to order. It was always fun to watch him unbox discontinued Buick parts at the Chevy parts counter.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 210
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018