advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
post mortem?!.....the U.S. Post Office considers downsizing.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 30, 2020 08:43AM
......considering closing post office locations across the country.....

Senator, union leader: Postal Service considers downsizing

....The U.S. Postal Service is considering closing post offices across the country, sparking concerns ahead of an anticipated surge of mail-in ballots in the 2020 elections, U.S. Sen Joe Manchin and a union leader said Wednesday.

Manchin said he has received numerous reports from post offices and colleagues about service cuts or looming closures in West Virginia and elsewhere, prompting him to send a letter to Postmaster General Louis DeJoy asking for an explanation.

The possible cutbacks come as DeJoy, a major donor to President Donald Trump who took control of the agency last month, moves to eliminate overtime for hundreds of thousands of postal workers, potentially causing a delay in mail deliveries. A recent document from the Postal Service, obtained by The Associated Press, described the need for an "operational pivot" to make the cash-strapped agency financially stable.

It’s just asinine to think that you can shut something down or throttle it back in terms of the pandemic when basically the lifeline for voting and democracy is going to be in the hands of the Postal Service,” Manchin, a Democrat, told reporters Wednesday.

He said at least two post offices in West Virginia had been scheduled to close next month but that the agency had “slowed” its plans.

A spokesman for the Postal Service referred questions to a prior statement from DeJoy, which said the agency “has experienced over a decade of financial losses, with no end in sight, and we face an impending liquidity crisis.” The statement goes on to say that “it is critical that the Postal Service take a fresh look at our operations and make necessary adjustments.”

what will happen......now........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: post mortem?!.....the U.S. Post Office considers downsizing.....
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 30, 2020 08:48AM
This is madness. And politically motivated. And it will go political. Let's try to keep this side clean, folks.

Short answer - 'privatizing' the US Postal service is the end goal.
Has it worked for other countries ?
Survey says.. NO.

Any information you find on this concept will be desperately political. If you have a personal relationship with anyone in the USPS, ask them and report back here.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 30, 2020 09:00AM
Hi everyone,

If costs are an issue, one of the ways to reduce them would be to dump regular Saturday delivery. UPS and Fedex both offer Saturday delivery as a special add-on service. The USPS could follow suit and I bet the vast majority of us would be fine with it.

Robert
Posted by: d4
Date: July 30, 2020 09:03AM
Since Costco sells fancy Christmas holiday stamps the only time I go in is when mailing out a high price ($1000+) item and I want to be sure the registered mail and insurance forms are correctly filled out and entered into the USPS system as being in their possession. Maybe once or twice a year. Our local post office is a sad, drab, lonely place.

Date: July 30, 2020 09:15AM
Apple Store moved into an old post office location in Soho NYC.

Moynihan Train Station to replace the old Farley Post Office in Manhattan. Facebook is close to leasing 700,000sqft of office space there as well.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 30, 2020 09:20AM
The quickest and simplest way to correct the USPS' financial predicament is for Congress to stop requiring them to prepay retirees' estimated healthcare costs in advance, a standard to which no other agency or large corporation is held.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 30, 2020 09:26AM
rjmacs
The quickest and simplest way to correct the USPS' financial predicament is for Congress to stop requiring them to prepay retirees' estimated healthcare costs in advance, a standard to which no other agency or large corporation is held.

This is the major issue.
Posted by: jonny
Date: July 30, 2020 09:34AM
An error that many make is the deduction: I rarely/never use the post office, thus everyone rarely/never use the post office. For many, the post office and its services are a lifeline. And not everyone is interested in being forced to pay $17 to mail a letter.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 30, 2020 09:35AM
macphanatic
rjmacs

This is the major issue.

agree smiley

and to further cut costs i could live without saturday delivery.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Mactel
Date: July 30, 2020 09:58AM
macphanatic
rjmacs

This is the major issue.

Yes indeed.

For those who haven't seen it, This is very informative.
Date: July 30, 2020 10:07AM
graylocks
macphanatic
rjmacs

This is the major issue.

agree smiley

and to further cut costs i could live without saturday delivery.
I WANT my Saturday delivery! Just fully fund the post office, like every other freaking civilized nation. It's a vital service!
Date: July 30, 2020 10:12AM
Jonny,

One can fully fund the USPS and still have the USPS cut Saturday delivery as a means of reducing costs. If $$$ is an issue, cutting a service that isn't a necessity is reasonable. Saturday delivery, which is nice, isn't a necessity in my opinion.

Robert
Date: July 30, 2020 10:16AM
"...it is critical that the Postal Service take a fresh look at our operations and make necessary adjustments.”

Date: July 30, 2020 10:18AM
Robert M
Jonny,

One can fully fund the USPS and still have the USPS cut Saturday delivery as a means of reducing costs. If $$$ is an issue, cutting a service that isn't a necessity is reasonable. Saturday delivery, which is nice, isn't a necessity in my opinion.

Robert
I'll tell your mailman. ; )
Posted by: iaJim
Date: July 30, 2020 10:24AM
I agree with the comment about prepaying pensions. Ridiculous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2020 10:24AM by iaJim.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: July 30, 2020 10:38AM
Umm, no. Not prepaying pensions will get you sent to prison. The issue here is prepaying medical costs for future retirees. No other entity, governmental or not, is so required.
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 30, 2020 10:56AM
Mactel
For those who haven't seen it, This is very informative.

Always excellent -- and could watch the whole way thru again -- but you can jump to 5:50 to get to the meat of the issue

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 30, 2020 11:31AM
There are approximately 19M $M’aires in the US; worth ~ $158T.
There are approximately 705 $B’aires in the US; worth ~ $3T.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: July 30, 2020 11:38AM
The largest volume of delivered mail is the 4th Class "junk" mail. It's also the cheapest in terms of postage costs. Before looking at closing some locations or cutting back on Saturday delivery, maybe they need to consider aligning postage cost for the junk mail so that it actually covers the cost of handling and delivery.
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 30, 2020 11:40AM
bobinmurphy
The largest volume of delivered mail is the 4th Class "junk" mail. It's also the cheapest in terms of postage costs. Before looking at closing some locations or cutting back on Saturday delivery, maybe they need to consider aligning postage cost for the junk mail so that it actually covers the cost of handling and delivery.

What makes you think they haven’t?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 30, 2020 11:45AM
As others have mentioned, this does have some potentially grave implications for mailing in ballots for the upcoming election, and beyond. If this is by design or not may be too political.
Date: July 30, 2020 11:53AM
as usual Oliver is informative, even if as funny as wallpaper paste.
This has been and still is totally political.
I wonder what one would find if one went down the rabbit hole of the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act.
Somewhere, there is are stacks of Benjamins involved.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Date: July 30, 2020 11:57AM
bobinmurphy

I think you might mean what used to be Third Class mail, which is now called Marketing Mail. What used to be Fourth Class mail is now part of Package Services, which includes Media Mail, Library Mail, and Bound Printed Matter.

Can you say more about where you learned the USPS loses money on Marketing Mail? As recently as 2019, USPS first-class and marketing mail generated 57% of overall revenues (Marketing Mail alone was about 23%). The Boston Globe reported by the that these two services are the USPS' "most profitable items."

rj
AKA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2020 11:59AM by rjmacs.
Date: July 30, 2020 12:22PM
"According to Tom Davis, the Bush administration threatened to veto the legislation unless they added the provision regarding funding the employee benefits in advance with the objective of using that money to reduce the federal deficit."

[en.wikipedia.org]

"Even worse, none of that money is truly being set aside. Instead, it is going directly into the U.S. government’s general fund, and it’s being spent on current government operations. The set-aside is a theoretical accounting gimmick. Those future retirement liabilities are actually being added to the national debt."

[roanoke.com]

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 30, 2020 12:30PM
The popularity of Marketing Mail, and the reliance the Post Office has depended upon it. illustrates how the core purpose has been perverted. No one invites companies to post flyers on their front door — in many places such solicitation is expressly forbidden —- but when it’s placed into a box along with your utility bill it’s curiously an accepted form of “communication.”

We’re literally paying for infrastructure for a service most any American would agree is not overly welcomed. I’m sick of being spammed like that. Let them pay their freight to private carriers instead and see how well that goes.
Date: July 30, 2020 01:55PM
deckeda
The popularity of Marketing Mail, and the reliance the Post Office has depended upon it. illustrates how the core purpose has been perverted. No one invites companies to post flyers on their front door — in many places such solicitation is expressly forbidden —- but when it’s placed into a box along with your utility bill it’s curiously an accepted form of “communication.”

We’re literally paying for infrastructure for a service most any American would agree is not overly welcomed. I’m sick of being spammed like that. Let them pay their freight to private carriers instead and see how well that goes.

I'm not sure why you're slamming a business for having a profitable venture, except that you find flyers irritating.

rj
AKA
Date: July 30, 2020 02:13PM
RJ,

Not sure who you're speaking about when it comes to people accepting solicitations when they are placed in their mailbox along with letters like bills and statements. I sure as heck don't want them. Solicitations, catalogs, pennysaver(s), political flyers, etc? Nearly all of them are flat out unwelcome. They go from my mailbox into the shredder and/or recycling bin. I do everything within my power to get myself removed from the mailing lists. Complete waste of paper and the money on multiple levels and that's not factoring in the delivery of it all.

Robert
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 30, 2020 02:26PM
Robert M
RJ,

Not sure who you're speaking about when it comes to people accepting solicitations when they are placed in their mailbox along with letters like bills and statements. I sure as heck don't want them. Solicitations, catalogs, pennysaver(s), political flyers, etc? Nearly all of them are flat out unwelcome. They go from my mailbox into the shredder and/or recycling bin. I do everything within my power to get myself removed from the mailing lists. Complete waste of paper and the money on multiple levels and that's not factoring in the delivery of it all.

Robert

I agree 100%. There should be a way for me to formally opt-out of all such 'mail'. If I pay for a subscription service like a magazine or newspaper, or pre-approve a catalog, then it can come to my mailbox.

Imagine if the mailbox was your garage. Would you allow any random company to pay someone to put a different blade of grass in your garage every day that you would then have to compost or toss? This spam mail is no different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2020 02:26PM by sekker.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 30, 2020 02:31PM
rjmacs
bobinmurphy

I think you might mean what used to be Third Class mail, which is now called Marketing Mail. What used to be Fourth Class mail is now part of Package Services, which includes Media Mail, Library Mail, and Bound Printed Matter.

Can you say more about where you learned the USPS loses money on Marketing Mail? As recently as 2019, USPS first-class and marketing mail generated 57% of overall revenues (Marketing Mail alone was about 23%). The Boston Globe reported by the that these two services are the USPS' "most profitable items."

Marketing mail might be some of the cheapest for the Post Office to process. It comes already sorted in bundles, so it just needs to be given to the carrier to deliver.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 30, 2020 02:31PM
....what about opting out of Femail.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: July 30, 2020 02:33PM
I go through the Pennysaver mailings. Most of the coupons are for local businesses and restaurants. I don't mind flipping through it for 30 seconds.

I have a "No Solicitations" sign permanently laminated on my mail box. It's more for the door-to-door people who knock on the door. Like cable service salespeople, fire department asking for donations (we pay enough taxes to support them), gdamn girl scouts (just kidding), religious people looking to convert me, etc.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 30, 2020 02:56PM
Make Congress appropriate funds for their franking privileges. I agree with cutting back on the payments to the pension funding. I actually like the weekly ads in my mailbox because I do not subscribe to a newspaper any more. I wonder how much 4th class rates could be raised before it becomes unprofitable.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Don C
Date: July 30, 2020 04:29PM
My local newspaper delivers via the post office. Saturday's paper has the "Sunday" inserts, ads and comics.

Some days, the paper is the only mail I get. Wednesdays bring the multiple ads; doesn't really take long to deal with those.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 30, 2020 06:30PM
Unlike emal spam, Marketing mail, however unwelcome, does indeed pay a huge chunk of postal operations.

Saturday delivery is favored by a lot of small businesses and many private citizens, but both could probably acclimate themselves to no Saturday delivery.

I read a comment echoed by many citizens — I don't want to get bills on Saturday!.

Kind of a WTF moment for me.

No Saturday delivery would reduce the requirement for letter carriers by approximately 16%.

There are other costs that would be reduced by eliminated carrier positions.

There would still be express mail delivery for Saturdays and Sundays.

Whether or not this would affect career carriers or part-time employees would be hard to say.

Saturday delivery has been a point of contention within the USPS as well as between the USPS and its detractors.

The USPS and its unions have long had a no-layoff then limited layoff policy, so it would be interesting to see how they would handle a large RIF.

They've reduced employees significantly over the last couple of decades reportedly through attrition or early retirement offers.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: July 30, 2020 08:01PM
[www.thoughtco.com]

Ending Saturday mail "would improve USPS's financial condition by reducing costs, increasing efficiency, and better aligning its delivery operations with reduced mail volumes," the GAO concluded. "However, it would also reduce service; put mail volumes and revenues at risk; eliminate jobs; and, by itself, be insufficient to solve USPS's financial challenges."
Posted by: August West
Date: July 30, 2020 08:22PM

They go from my mailbox into the shredder and/or recycling bin.

+1

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: testcase
Date: July 30, 2020 08:27PM
"I WANT my Saturday delivery! Just fully fund the post office, like every other freaking civilized nation. It's a vital service!"

I guess you don't get to Canada jonny (or you DON'T consider Canada a "CIVILIZED" nation?). Canada ENDED Saturday service decades ago and, also tried (and has been partially successful) in STOPPING "door to door" mail delivery, switching instead to "mailbox clusters".

In many "Small Town, U.S.A."locations, the stand alone local Post Office has morphed into a counter at a local business (like Walgreens).

I agree that the USPS should charge to cover the actual cost of handling / delivering mail. I DO agree with you that the USPS IS a "vital service" and be treated as such.
Date: July 31, 2020 01:03PM
testcase
I guess you don't get to Canada jonny (or you DON'T consider Canada a "CIVILIZED" nation?). Canada ENDED Saturday service decades ago and, also tried (and has been partially successful) in STOPPING "door to door" mail delivery, switching instead to "mailbox clusters".

Savages!!
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 31, 2020 01:09PM
No changes to the Post Office should be on the table right now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 209
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018