advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Very grateful for this forum (mini social media rant)
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 30, 2020 09:16AM
I usually enjoy looking at Twitter, but sometimes I get sucked into a downward spiral of very foolish or angry tweets, and I end up feeling negative and like I need a long, hot shower.

And then I come here, and it's a wonderful island of sanity (well, 99%....).

Just wanted to take a moment to be grateful.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Very grateful for this forum (mini social media rant)
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 30, 2020 09:21AM
anonymouse1
I usually enjoy looking at Twitter, but sometimes I get sucked into a downward spiral of very foolish or angry tweets, and I end up feeling negative and like I need a long, hot shower.

agree smiley

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 30, 2020 09:26AM
truer words are rarely spoken. I am considering deleting my Twitter account.
Posted by: d4
Date: July 30, 2020 09:35AM
Twitter. LOL. What are you doing. Seriously. Why?
Go outside and pull some weeds thumbs up

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 30, 2020 10:15AM
I've spent hours upon hours on FB because I'm part of various community groups and organizations and it's truly mind numbing. It's not that the discussion or ideas are bad, it's just the same ones over and over, and no one cedes a point. You leave with a diminishing sense of community, not an invigorated sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2020 10:15AM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 30, 2020 10:18AM
I wanted to post something like this too. I've reached a point in life where making new friends is hard to do. The only person on this forum that I'd know if I ran into them, is DaveMachine. Nonetheless, I've enjoyed the interactions immensely. This is where I came when my wife was having a miscarriage, this is where I came when a friend's wife died from cancer, this is where I came a few days ago when a friend committed suicide. Maybe you're all a captive audience, but you've always been there. Just so it's relevant, I did post from a Mac. winking smileysmiley-signs001

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: iaJim
Date: July 30, 2020 10:21AM
Thank you to our sponsors for continuing this board. We should all try to buy something from them from time to time.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: July 30, 2020 10:45AM
rjmacs
anonymouse1

agree smiley

agree smiley
Was just thinking about this (the relatively sanity of the MacResource Forum) vs. some of the other online venues I frequent.
It's like blissful release to be here in comparison.
The only other somewhat sane online venues I visit are very single-purpose (centered around specific communities of interest), and are not places for general discussion or debate, so I'm very glad for the existence of this place.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 30, 2020 12:50PM
d4
Twitter. LOL. What are you doing. Seriously. Why?
Go outside and pull some weeds thumbs up

yeah, like this guy...

I knew there were good reasons not to have twitter, FB, etc. accounts old fogey smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: July 30, 2020 01:34PM
It helps to have separated political discussions.
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 30, 2020 01:43PM
old fogey smiley

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 30, 2020 01:44PM
iaJim
Thank you to our sponsors for continuing this board. We should all try to buy something from them from time to time.

I was going to, this morning, at the garage sale ... but all you bastids beat me to it!

And as for Twitter ... honestly, that is one social media platform that I probably will never fully embrace. Whoever thought it was a good idea for people to say what's on their mind all the time, in 140 characters or less...? First of all, not everything that comes into someone's head should be said ... Twitter seems to openly and actively promote their users to do that, leading to all kinds of trouble. Second, the brevity and rapidity of tweets seems to kind of encourage a form of digital ADD. Lastly... I have no interest in "following" anyone, including faux celebrities and folks who think they're soooo important that everyone has to listen to what they have to say. For myself, the only real use of it I can think of is to get news more quickly that I might otherwise, from reputable news organizations that use it.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: July 30, 2020 01:45PM
This forum (and, y'know, its predecessor) was my playground before Facebook came into my life. I'm grateful it's still here.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 30, 2020 02:03PM
And another MRF 'rant' thread that proves the point of the OP... Sharing my thanks as well.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 30, 2020 02:48PM
mrbigstuff
It's not that the discussion or ideas are bad, it's just the same ones over and over, and no one cedes a point.

Just isolating this for emphasis. I don't think we'll see that happen much if ever. I've experienced the same and will only wade in to offer a viewpoint if it hasn't been put forward by anyone yet, but the few times I do get sucked in, there is no understanding to be had, no middle ground to be reached. And good, valid points made on either side are almost always ignored, with the discussion merely heading somewhere else.

Perhaps that is people actually accepting those points and preferring to argue other minutae, but I almost never see the actual acceptance of those points.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 30, 2020 02:58PM
Big hugs to everybody. smiling smiley emoticon_love

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 30, 2020 03:11PM
This and Nextdoor are the closest I come to being social. I want to keep it that way.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 30, 2020 03:37PM
iaJim

Fully agree. I just bought a new MagSafe (1) power brick from them a few weeks ago.
Posted by: jonny
Date: July 30, 2020 05:27PM
And a shout out to all the experts in the house. You all have saved me many dollars and many un-pulled hairs over the years!
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: July 30, 2020 09:11PM
anonymouse1

agree smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 143
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018