advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
baDUNKadunk?!.....Dunkin' closing 800 locations......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 30, 2020 12:16PM
......revenues fall by 20% [ don't forget they changed name from 'Dunkin' Donuts' to just 'Dunkin' ].........

Dunkin' is closing 800 US locations

....Dunkin' is permanently closing 8% of its United States locations, which amounts to roughly 800 restaurants.

The company announced the changes in its second quarter earnings, released Thursday. Dunkin' described the closures as "real estate portfolio rationalization" and said the affected locations are in "low-volume sales locations" that only represent 2% of its US sales as of 2019.

More than half of the closures are in Speedway convenience stores, a change it previously announced in February. These locations are set to be closed by the end of this year.

Dunkin' (DNKN) also said approximately 350 locations "may permanently close" outside of the US.

Earlier this week, McDonald's (MCD) also said it was closing about 200 "low-volume" locations with more than half being in Walmart (WMT) stores.

less.....baDunkinDunk.....?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2020 12:17PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: baDUNKadunk?!.....Dunkin' closing 800 locations......
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 30, 2020 01:01PM
Too-tight pants around the world rejoice!
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 30, 2020 01:57PM
Will not miss.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 30, 2020 02:12PM
....but....but....people love their coffee......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: July 30, 2020 02:38PM
Rochester NY "Chase Pitkin" went out of business. Why? Who knows what the f*&@ they sell by the name?

"The Pajama Store" went out of business. Why? People didn't realize it was a store for exotic dog treats (OK - I probably made this one up).

Dunkin' Donuts removes the "Donuts" from their name, and then wonders why business drops?

Seriously; put what you are in the name.

(OK - I know that has absolutely nothing to do with why Dunkin' is having trouble, and very likely nothing to do with why Chase Pitkin closed shop, but I hate going to a new city and having no idea what these freakin' stores sell. I just saw this as my chance to complain about it.)
Posted by: d4
Date: July 30, 2020 02:46PM
S. Pupp
Rochester NY "Chase Pitkin" went out of business. Why? Who knows what the f*&@ they sell by the name?

"The Pajama Store" went out of business. Why? People didn't realize it was a store for exotic dog treats (OK - I probably made this one up).

Dunkin' Donuts removes the "Donuts" from their name, and then wonders why business drops?

Seriously; put what you are in the name.

(OK - I know that has absolutely nothing to do with why Dunkin' is having trouble, and very likely nothing to do with why Chase Pitkin closed shop, but I hate going to a new city and having no idea what these freakin' stores sell. I just saw this as my chance to complain about it.)

You must REALLY hate KFC. And BJs Club is not what you think it is.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 30, 2020 03:04PM
We have one adjoining my high school (literally a 6-foot chainlink separates us). The sales from the kids alone would make it profitable. There will be an 80-lb freshman girl walking around with a dozen donuts to eat for breakfast.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 30, 2020 03:22PM
I worked at a DD for a quarter while I was in college.
We will not discuss my donut consumption during that period.
Dinner and donut do both start with D. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 30, 2020 04:17PM
More than half of the closures are in Speedway convenience stores...

Either franchisees not making minimum sales or locations with sales so low they
can't pay the rent, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen with Subway stores either.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 30, 2020 05:37PM
DD expanding into all of those small outlets was part of their changing to central baking for the donuts. They could just deliver trays of donuts, no need for room to prepare and cook them. The pandemic played havoc with that business model, people aren't going into the Speedway convenience stores and similar locations like they were.

The central bakeries don't do anything for the freshness either, been a while since I bought donuts from DD, I don't go there for the coffee.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 30, 2020 07:35PM
rjmacs
Will not miss.

11,300 Dunkin' restaurants.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 31, 2020 02:08PM
Like the meme about Starbucks on 3 out of 4 corners, that very well could be true of DD around here. In fact, they could save some cash on their signs by changing it to Dunks, because that's what everyone calls it anyhow.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 259
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018