advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Question for Zoom users...
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 30, 2020 02:40PM
... for those of you who are using Zoom (perhaps for teaching or other purposes), have you been using the built-in Whiteboard function or something else, if you just want to be freeform writing or drawing stuff?

I've been using their Whiteboard, but frankly find it a little "clunky" (especially hard to write or draw something), so wonder if there's a better alternative.

TiA

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2020 02:40PM by PeterB.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Question for Zoom users...
Posted by: jonny
Date: July 30, 2020 03:06PM
My son is taking an art class online as I type. The teacher has an iPhone on a tripod dialed into the meeting as an art camera.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2020 03:08PM by jonny.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 30, 2020 03:35PM
if you want to use "freeform writing" I think you should try a tablet, even better with a stylus. I would think an iPad pro with Apple Pencil would work great (no, I don't use one of those)
Date: July 30, 2020 04:18PM
space-time
if you want to use "freeform writing" I think you should try a tablet, even better with a stylus. I would think an iPad pro with Apple Pencil would work great (no, I don't use one of those)

I should have been more specific in my original post. What I've tried using: their Whiteboard function, using an old iPad connected by way of Duet (I'm still running Mojave, so can't use Sidecar). I've done the drawing using an old Wacom tablet (with stylus) that I had lying around. It works, but is noticeably laggy and clunky ... for example, drawing freeform, I almost never get something legible. Typing (using the text tool) is better, but sometimes you want to draw something. The tools in the Zoom Whiteboard are really pretty minimal, so I've also tried just using Preview with a blank page... but both of them seem a bit laggy/clunky.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2020 04:18PM by PeterB.
Date: July 30, 2020 06:57PM
So do you have a better drawing App? use that, screen share, done. Zoom can "Zoom" any window or the entire screen. I don't really see an issue.

Pretend this was not Zoom and they were watching over your shoulder. What App would you use?
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 30, 2020 08:31PM
Notability might be a good app for what you're doing. Indeed, the Whiteboard in Zoom isn't a selling point, but it's mostly adequate for a few notes. Sidecar + Notability works pretty well for this purpose, but simply mirroring from the iPad and sharing the screen through Zoom should work just as well.

What would be great would be getting something besides a png or pdf from a WB in a Zoom breakout room. Sharing at that point gets to be a little cumbersome since one needs to go into a folder, find the saved WB pic and then share it with the larger meeting.
Date: July 30, 2020 08:49PM
space-time
So do you have a better drawing App? use that, screen share, done. Zoom can "Zoom" any window or the entire screen. I don't really see an issue.

Pretend this was not Zoom and they were watching over your shoulder. What App would you use?

Good question (about the first part you wrote, what app I would use) -- I'm not actually sure. But it's not just about which app to use, because screen sharing via Zoom is apparently part of the problem in terms of the lagginess.

If this was not Zoom and they were watching over my shoulder, I would use a legal pad and pen... that'd be my app. grinning smiley

Edit: now that I think about it, and putting aside my smart-@ss answer, I would probably use MacDraw or ClarisDraw. smiling bouncing smiley

... now, REALLY putting aside my smart-@ss answers, I think I might try Intaglio. The problem there is that it saves in its own format, which is not ideal; I'd have to export as PDF for the students.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2020 09:02PM by PeterB.
Date: July 30, 2020 09:26PM
we use a white board at work and point the camera at the board.
Date: July 30, 2020 09:50PM
space-time
we use a white board at work and point the camera at the board.

I've honestly thought about that too, but I like maintaining eye contact, which I find hard to do if I'm writing stuff on a board; also, the majority of the time I'm using Powerpoint, so it'd be harder to switch back and forth. Lastly, it's nice to be able to save whatever is written on the board as a file to send to the students afterwards.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 205
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018