advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Question for any XFinity customers
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 30, 2020 05:14PM
Would/could XFinity throttle down a streaming connection?

I'm trying to figure out why, from time to time, my Netflix (or, simultaneously, Amazon Prime stream) goes down. Last time it happened, I ran to the computer and Google News still seemed to load. It could be my TV, I suppose; a Samsung, only about 2 years old, but that's where I typically get Netflix/Amazon through. My WiFi router/cable modem is brand new, from Comcast.

We don't stream that much, honestly; maybe 10 hours a week, max; not 4K or anything like that.

If/when it happens again, I'll switch to my (older) AppleTV and see if that's down too.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Question for any XFinity customers
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 30, 2020 05:22PM
Sure. And they'll lie about it too.

Back when I had Crapcast, I got a nasty email from them proclaiming that I was approaching their download limits and was about to be hit with a surcharge.

This was the day after we returned from being out of town for two weeks, with every computer turned off while we were gone.

I canceled my "service" (which went out at least once a month, with no ability to report the outages locally) the next month. Never regretted it for a second.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 30, 2020 05:31PM
pdq,

I am one of those rare(?), Comcast customers that is quite happy with their service. I started TV with them in 1983 and added internet in 2000. In my FL winter place I have had them by choice until they could not renew their contract with the RV park. I then went with DirecTV and threw that out when DISH became available for both TV and Internet. Neither of these 2 are as reliable as Comcast.

I've been doing a lot of streaming recently to my Mac, almost every day, and at all daylight hours. I have not noticed any slowdowns.

Gonna ask my Mother if that offer to slap
me into next year is still on the table.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 30, 2020 06:07PM
Sometimes Xfinity peak speeds will drop because too many people in your neighborhood are all watching Youtube at the same time. It has been an intermittent issue while the company has been upgrading different portions of their network. About 16 years ago when I first got cable internet from Scumcrapst, I would get the highest download speeds after 1 AM local time after most people went to sleep. That was back when the download speed was specified as 5/6 Mbps.

I generally despise Xfinity, but it is currently the only service to my current address with over 30 Mbps downloads.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 30, 2020 06:54PM
Are you sure the other services work fine?

I had intermittent connection issues, it was a bad cable. They replace it and it was rock solid after that.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: July 30, 2020 09:30PM
Will Collier

Back when I had Crapcast, I got a nasty email from them proclaiming that I was approaching their download limits and was about to be hit with a surcharge.

This was the day after we returned from being out of town for two weeks, with every computer turned off while we were gone.

I canceled my "service" (which went out at least once a month, with no ability to report the outages locally) the next month. Never regretted it for a second.

What did you switch to, if I may ask?

Date: July 30, 2020 11:54PM
space-time
Are you sure the other services work fine?

I had intermittent connection issues, it was a bad cable. They replace it and it was rock solid after that.

No, Amazon Prime was down too. But I was able to load up a new Google News page on the computer at the same time the two services were down.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 31, 2020 04:31AM
Filliam H. Muffman
Sometimes Xfinity peak speeds will drop because too many people in your neighborhood are all watching Youtube at the same time. It has been an intermittent issue while the company has been upgrading different portions of their network. ....

Same experience. When I first got comcrap, 50Mbps was the max. Now that they've
run fiber from the headend to within 1/4 mile of my house, I'm on 400Mbps with
only an occasional slowdown. They've also been installing WiFi access stations high
up on utility poles in some areas.

Here's one mounted on their cable...

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2020 04:42AM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 31, 2020 06:18AM
lost in space
Will Collier

What did you switch to, if I may ask?
AT&T. I wouldn't say I like their service, but at least I don't hate it like I did Crapcast.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 31, 2020 08:07AM
I'll say this: I'm quite happy with Comcast/Xfinity* speeds and uptime. I am extremely unhappy with their customer service and gouging practices. For me, for now, they're the only game in town if I want anything faster than AT&T DSL (which is I think a tenth of the speed where I'm at).

There is hope that AT&T is running fiber through our area, but I'm not bullish on AT&T either, given my experience with their cellular service, where they randomly add services to my plan w/o telling me or one phone rep will tell me one price for a plan and (after "I'm going to switch you over to blah blah blah department for finalization") the next guy says no such plan exists but there's this plan which is $x more a month.

In my region, there's a company called Fidelity Communications. My son uses their service at his apartment complex. Max speed seems to be 250Mbps which is slower than my Xfinity but he says he's had 100% uptime and the speeds are steady. They are also doing fiber in the region but, in what is typically my luck, they're doing the neighborhood next to me, the retirement home behind my subdivision, and a large undeveloped track of land to the east of me.

* Comcast, where after we @#$%& all over our customers and got called bad words, we changed our name. Expect another name change in a few years.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Date: July 31, 2020 10:35AM
Internet was randomly down again this morning, for a couple hours. Went to My Xfinity. Before I could check for a service outage there, they made me change my password. Then outage map wouldn’t load (on my cell phone, with WiFi off). Tried clicking on support/chat. It’s not actually a chat - just a triage that send you to a few worthless canned articles.

Found a telephone number elsewhere on the internet for support - by this time my landline was down too. The recording reset my modem (10 minutes) and then called me back. Some sites were loading, some were not (?!). The robocall called back - was my service working now? Well, kind of. Great! Goodbye.

Gah. I’ve just about had it. Why does our country (at least in the metro area where I’m at) have the most expensive and shittiest internet service in the developed world?

angry smiley
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 31, 2020 10:56AM
pdq

Gah. I’ve just about had it. Why does our country (at least in the metro area where I’m at) have the most expensive and shittiest internet service in the developed world?

angry smiley

Money is the simple answer.

Basically, this: back in the 70s, when cable TV was starting to head into every city across the country, no one wanted multiple companies going through back yards, fighting the local utility companies for pole usage, etc ad nauseam, so most/many cities & towns did exclusivity requirements: one company would prove they were the best choice (i.e., highest bribe) and they'd be the only cable available for subscription.

Anti-trust? That came up at some point, but then DirecTV and/or Dish came along, and the cable megalopoly said, "see? they have a choice".

Flash forward to when you could use the same cable (with a rental modem) for internet signals. I remember the first commercials for this (Joe Regalbuto (who was on Murphy Brown, a popular show in the era) was hawking it for my local cable company) and the promise of 10x dial-up speeds. The future looked bright.

The catch was that you would have to use whoever served your area for Cable TV as well. Because they had exclusivity rights for cabling the region for TV, so they figured it carried over for Internet as well.

It gets messier after that re/regulations, anti-trust, etc. Each time, the cable companies can claim it's not a monopoly because there are other choices (e.g., AT&T DSL) available to consumers.

What it essentially means is that you're @#$%& if you have a @#$%& local cable provider and you're @#$%& if you'd like an alternate. It's getting better, but in baby steps. Or more like baby-on-crutches steps.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 01, 2020 09:09AM
pdq
Internet was randomly down again this morning, for a couple hours. Went to My Xfinity. Before I could check for a service outage there, they made me change my password. Then outage map wouldn’t load (on my cell phone, with WiFi off). Tried clicking on support/chat. It’s not actually a chat - just a triage that send you to a few worthless canned articles.

Found a telephone number elsewhere on the internet for support - by this time my landline was down too. The recording reset my modem (10 minutes) and then called me back. Some sites were loading, some were not (?!). The robocall called back - was my service working now? Well, kind of. Great! Goodbye.

angry smiley

when this happen, log into your cable modem and look at the signal levels

192.168. 100.1

compare to this

[www.speedguide.net]
Date: August 01, 2020 09:47AM
Thanks, space-time. My XFinity modem is actually one of those 10.0.0.1 ones, but that’s an approach that I haven’t considered, and that link you shared gives some nice metrics to compare to.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 205
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018