advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Two Zoom, or not two zoom, that is the question....?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 30, 2020 07:23PM
Say a couple of couples of Boomer Zoomers want to share their iPads....

After convincing them that using earphones is helpful to the rest of the Zoomers in the meeting; what is the best protocol for using two headsets on the same iPad? A splitter? Using earphone jack? Or Lightning jack? Or using one headset each from both the earphone jack and lightning jack and foregoing the splitter?

Thank you for your eloquent and informative responses.
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Two Zoom, or not two zoom, that is the question....?
Posted by: August West
Date: July 30, 2020 08:02PM
Cheap solution from Amazon

Of course this might not match their iPad output, but i'm sure similar can be found.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Date: July 30, 2020 08:20PM
August West
Cheap solution from Amazon

Of course this might not match their iPad output, but i'm sure similar can be found.

That one, and most lightning adapter that have both audio and lightning pass thru, don't allow mic usage. To split from the lightning port, you need something like this (below) w/ double lightnings.... I'm just clueless as to what way is gonna work best for two users from the same iPad. I've got a couple of 3.5mm TRRS (4 pole) splitters that work to varying degrees of wellness, and I'd like to find the optimal way to play Share-a-'Pad. Best solution here has been for spousal unit and I to use separate iPads from separate rooms, w/ the doors closed.

Thanks.
==
Posted by: August West
Date: July 30, 2020 09:37PM
There is a mic in the iPad they can share right?

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 30, 2020 09:55PM
Bluetooth. Well, maybe not because you can have only one sound output.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2020 09:57PM by Speedy.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 30, 2020 11:15PM
In iOS 13, one can connect two sets of AirPods to an iPad, but I think that's for audio out.

This also works with some Beats BT products.

I don't know that both mics will work for audio in.

Seems like Buzz is talking about using wired headsets.

The simplest, quickest way would probably be to share a wired or BT headset.

The output of the iPad could be set to mono, if need be.

I have no idea if two headset, wired or BT, would allow both parties to talk, or if that and the iPad's mic would work together.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: July 31, 2020 01:04AM

I got this.... to use via the iPad's headphone jack, and the theory works somewhat better than the practice. Both mics work, but there seems to be a constant tug-o-war vis-a-vis static, evidently caused by the multiple jack/plug connections. (Read that; Mrs. Buzz gets a bit too animated while talking on Zoom.) I'm thinking w/ less movement, the setup should work.

I got the short cabled splitter, and attached it to an existing extension cable from "the drawer", so there's an extra connection in the system that could be mooted w/ the longer cabled splitter from that page (OOS when I ordered shorty, BTW). Now, for perspective, I've used every extension cable w/ every wired earbud headset without any issues, yet spousal unit has had problems w/ just about every combo. I tried putting her on a BT earbud headset, and she had issues w/ that, too, because she would "accidentally" keep brushing against the mic/control button.

Last Sunday, too many people didn't have headsets, and they're too dumb to train to use push-to-talk w/ a muted mic, so their open mics caused some impressive echoing from around the country. For my own sanity, I've gotta set 'em up w/ headsets, and (as noted) there are couples that share an iPad, so for under $30 a couple, I figure it should be doable.... I just don't want issues like technophobe Mrs. Buzz seemingly can't avoid. The other couples are definitely (much) less animated than spousal unit, and each contain one of her younger siblings.

That's why I'm looking for optimal way to attach two mic'ed headsets each to their respective iPads. I may have to try breaking open some virgin Lightning EarPods to pair w/ a regular headset (will it work? or will using both cut off the mic from one of them?). I had hoped to keep the 'Pods in their virginal state to enhance future iPhone resale value.

Suggestions? (or a Covid-19 cure is also acceptable so we can visit in person instead of Zooming.)
Thanks.
==
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 31, 2020 01:43AM
Who’s Zooming who?

It is what it is.
Date: July 31, 2020 02:34AM
There are a couple of weekly Zoom meetings... thankfully one is more intellectual, but the big family gig on Sundays has too many Luddites to pull off seamlessly. There can be around 20 Zoomers on a given Sunday, but usually around 12 to 14. It would be nice to eliminate the echoing. We have a paid account, so it’s listed as spousal unit’s meeting, but really it’s pretty much anything goes.
==
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 31, 2020 06:22AM
Who’s Zooming who?

Hah!

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: August 01, 2020 07:49AM
I like the idea of one mic shared by two people. That will eliminate the feedback squeal that you would get with two mics for two headsets connected to a splitter.

Date: August 01, 2020 12:27PM
Speedy
I like the idea of one mic shared by two people. That will eliminate the feedback squeal that you would get with two mics for two headsets connected to a splitter.

The feedback/echo is more from other peeps' speakers rerouting the naturally delayed sound back into their mics and echoing back to the speaker. Two mics shared within a couple of feet don't seem to have any effect. Zoom locally mutes the speaker's speakers/earphones when the speaker is speaking, so local splitting isn't a problem. It's the maroons that don't use headsets and can't figure out how to push to talk that ruin the experience. Trick is figuring out best/most efficient to split.
==
Date: August 01, 2020 09:33PM
Buzz
Speedy

The feedback/echo is more from other peeps' speakers rerouting the naturally delayed sound back into their mics and echoing back to the speaker. Two mics shared within a couple of feet don't seem to have any effect. Zoom locally mutes the speaker's speakers/earphones when the speaker is speaking, so local splitting isn't a problem. It's the maroons that don't use headsets and can't figure out how to push to talk that ruin the experience. Trick is figuring out best/most efficient to split.
==

Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 349
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018