advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPhone battery charging
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 30, 2020 08:09PM
Of course I could google or go to Apple's website for the answer, but I'd much rather hear the truth from you all.

I have an iPhone SE (original) that I have no plans to upgrade in the foreseeable future since it serves my purposes fine. Battery Health shows a maximum Capacity of 87%. To squeeze the most life out of it, I've been in the habit of shutting off the phone when I go to bed. Well, I was burned again early this morning by missing an important call, so I'm now going to start leaving it on overnight.

All this to ask if it matters from a longevity standpoint how low the battery should to be before I 'top it off'. If it's down to say 60% at the end of a day, I'd be inclined not to plug it in at night if I were going to shut it off. But if it's going to be on all night, I don't want to wake up to it being down to 30%, then worrying about getting through the day with it.

Seems silly to put it on the charger if it's at say, 80%. But I guess the real question is will it diminish the life of the battery if I do? So what's your preferred method or formula?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPhone battery charging
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 30, 2020 09:06PM
not sure when it started but the iOS now manages its own charging. see if in Settings>Battery > Battery Health you have the option to turn on Optimized Battery Charging. if so just plug it in and leave it be.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 30, 2020 09:23PM
graylocks
not sure when it started but the iOS now manages its own charging. see if in Settings>Battery > Battery Health you have the option to turn on Optimized Battery Charging. if so just plug it in and leave it be.

This. My iPhone (also SE original) tops off in the morning.

Also a new battery is $50 installed by Apple.
Date: July 30, 2020 09:50PM
graylocks

I don't see that setting. Of course I'm still running 12.1.2, so maybe it's time to let it Update. smiling smiley
Posted by: Carm
Date: July 30, 2020 10:13PM
Maybe started in iOS 13.x. I don’t have that setting either on 12.4.1.
I (try) charge when battery is between 10-20. You know after the warnings.
I charge minimum to 90 is percent. My XR is at 91%. Does anyone know when (what percent) Apple replaces under AppleCare?
Edit: My son has his android phone on a Kasa plug and cuts it off after 8 hours of charging.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2020 10:15PM by Carm.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: July 30, 2020 11:33PM
[medium.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 30, 2020 11:35PM
You are overthinking it.

My SE is 86%... do exactly the opposite you do.

I never turn off unless I have to. Like when I installed the iOS 14 beta (its faster!). Otherwise its been months. I never pay attention to how I charge it. Some times its plugged in all day at my desk, sometimes its at 11% for hours, sometimes its 50%. I never charge to 90% or whatever BS that is. Maybe an hour here an there. I go to bed with it on my nightstand, and I never plug it in. It could be under 10% and it will still be fine in the morning. Or drop like 1%. I never force quit apps either, waste of time.

In a nutshell -- I never give it a second thought -- ever. And Im at 86% health...

Only time I bother -- when it says "20% battery, low power mode" -- and then I think about charging it... maybe. or maybe not. It will still go for hours. Or maybe I will grab 15 minutes on the kitchen counter to bump it up to 40%.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 31, 2020 01:21AM
Without battery management, my recent research seems to show that for maximum battery life, you should charge when it gets to around 20%, and charge it to around 80%, as that 60% charge constitutes less than a quarter of a charge cycle on the battery. Theoretically, this will more than double the life of the battery. Evidently, past about 80%, it's harder on the battery as you charge towards 100%.

Supposedly there are management options available that optimize charging to minimize this extra wear and tear. To me, it just boils down to when, and whether or not the battery gets replaced. It's a $50 problem; the answer is at what point is it worth it to you to pop for the new battery?
==
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 31, 2020 02:00AM
My real world research shows the opposite.

Wish I knew how old the phone is. I bought it used. years ago. After I dropped my then current SE. Ive repaired that one... so now I have a backup.

And with iOS 14 making it a little snappier.... im happier =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 31, 2020 06:20AM
All this to ask if it matters from a longevity standpoint how low the battery should to be before I 'top it off'.

It does.

My real world practice and experience based on research is to never let my 'Phone get below 50%.

I charge it in the morning and evening to 100%.

If it gets heavy use and approaches 50% during the day, I charge it when convenient.

That's how I got 5+ yrs out of my 5s with it at 82% capacity, when I replaced it with an OG SE.

The battery was still serviceable, but dropped in charge to below 50% before the day was out, with only moderate use.

If I charged to 80% instead of 100, I'd have probably been at a higher capacity at 5+ yrs, but I have no idea how much more.

This OG SE is still at 100% capacity at 20mo.

If for some reason I wasn't going to use it for a day or two, I'd turn it off instead of just sleeping it.

you have the option to turn on Optimized Battery Charging. if so just plug it in and leave it be.

This works best if the user is consistent in their charging habits.

The os attempts to charge it to 80% and not charge it to 100% until just before you usually take it off the charger.

So if you charge over night, and take it off the charger at 0800hrs, it will charge to 80% from the time you plug it in, and then at some time before 0800, it will start charging to take it to 100% by 0800.

This is great, as long as one is fairly consistent with their charging regimen.

As my routine varies, my 'Phone seems to charge to 100% anytime I plug it in.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: July 31, 2020 06:44AM
Thanks for all the answers. Most enlightening (and surprising) to me was not to charge to 100%.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 31, 2020 08:53AM
I don't worry about charging with my iPhone X. I've had my phone for 27 months and battery life is at 93%.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 31, 2020 09:46AM
macphanatic
I don't worry about charging with my iPhone X. I've had my phone for 27 months and battery life is at 93%.

hmmm. maybe i should be concerned. i’m coming up on 1 year with my iphone 11 and it’s at 93%.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 31, 2020 11:12AM
....your iPhone charges you........money.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 196
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018