advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Removing SSD from Mercury On the Go Pro enclosure
Posted by: Don C
Date: July 30, 2020 10:01PM
I am booting my iMac from an external SSD in a sponsor's Mercury On the Go enclosure that I got quite some time ago. Conversations here recommend moving that SSD to a USB 3.1 Gen 2 enclosure which I purchased.

I have not figured out how to get the SSD out of the Mercury On the Go enclosure without tearing it apart. Videos show how to install the SSD but I don't see anything telling me how to remove it.

I would like to keep the MOtG enclosure functional in case something goes amiss with the newer enclosure.

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Removing SSD from Mercury On the Go Pro enclosure
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 30, 2020 10:06PM
The clear one? Mine had two little screws, and then slid apart.
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 30, 2020 10:59PM
Also, four screws that attach the drive to the board.
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 30, 2020 11:22PM
Don C
Conversations here recommend moving that SSD to a USB 3.1 Gen 2 enclosure which I purchased.

I mean, thats fine and all, but not sure who made that recommendation.

imho, there is no benefit.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: July 30, 2020 11:36PM
Ah Hah! Screws are under the little rubber feet. Did not think to look under those. Duhhh

My understanding was that the 3.1 Gen 2 would be faster. Truth be told, I don't really NEED any speed difference, which in the larger scheme of things would be trivial. I confess to getting caught up in discussions several months ago about the "superiority" of 3.1 Gen 2.
Date: July 30, 2020 11:56PM
Sure, the *case* might be faster (if you bought a 10 GB/s model, that is) -- but your *drive* is still limited at under half that. Or about the limit of your current On the Go case.

You may have missed the part about having a faster *SSD Flash drive* in conjunction with a faster case = faster performance.

As it is now, no benefit.

----

Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 31, 2020 07:47AM
Don,

That depends on the SSD and how you're connecting it to the iMac.

If you're using a 2.5" SSD in a USB 3.0 box, you're not going to gain anything by moving it to a new box that supports the newer USB standards. You're still limited by the maximum speeds of the 2.5" drive and, if you have a it connected to a Mac via a USB 3.0 port, the port itself. Same goes if you take that 2.5" drive and throw it into a box that supports USB 3.1 Gen 2 and connect it to a Thunderbolt 3 port.

To really gain anything, you'd have to replace the 2.5" SSD with an NVME M.2 SSD, replace the existing box with an appropriate enclosure for the new drive _and_ connect it via to a Thunderbolt 3 port (which supports USB's faster speeds).

I have a 2014 iMac 27" and it's booting off a 2.5" SSD in a USB 3.1 Gen 2 box. I could replace the existing SSD and box with an NVME stick in a USB 3.1 Gen 2 box but it'd be crippled since I'd have to connect it to a USB 3.0 port. The only way to take advantage of the speed would be to connect it to a Thunderbolt 2 port and to do that it requires an Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter _and_ a powered Thunderbolt 3 dock like the CalDigit TS3 Plus with enough juice to power the drive. It's a _very_ pricey proposition.

Robert
Date: July 31, 2020 09:31PM
The SSD is certainly not a Flash drive.

Guess I got all excited for nothing. Not the first time (maybe the last time?).

Thanks for the comments and advice.

Don
Date: July 31, 2020 10:52PM
Don C
The SSD is certainly not a Flash drive.

as a "just so we are clear" when I say "flash" we dont mean this... (my bad, its confusing) -- which is really slow..., like 50-100 MBs.

I meant this, a NVMe drive, but it uses "flash" memory -- which is really fast -- 1000-1500 MB/s

again, my bad.

----

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2020 10:57PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 346
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018