advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
HBO GO is no longer available
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 01, 2020 09:10AM
I guess I need to swap Apple TV with Roku, since we use HBO Go more here and less there

Dear Roku Customer,

As you may know, HBO discontinued the HBO GO service on July 31, 2020. HBO GO had previously enabled cable subscribers to access HBO via the streaming platform of their choosing at no additional cost.

The Roku platform still offers a number of alternative ways for customers to access HBO. Existing HBO users that subscribe through Comcast, Charter or AT&T TV can stream HBO on the Comcast Xfinity Stream, Spectrum TV and AT&T TV channels available on the Roku platform. Additionally, you can access HBO directly on Roku by subscribing to HBO on The Roku Channel.

Regards,

Roku
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: HBO GO is no longer available
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 01, 2020 09:12AM
Space,

HBO Go has been replaced by HBO Max. Just keep an eye out for it on all the streaming devices.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2020 09:13AM by Robert M.
Date: August 01, 2020 09:28AM
yes, I know. HBO Max is not available for Roku. Thus I need to swap Apple TV. A minor inconvenience.
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 01, 2020 09:38AM
HBO Now is how I access my HBO account on the Roku.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: August 01, 2020 11:02AM
rgG
HBO Now is how I access my HBO account on the Roku.

Me too.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 01, 2020 11:30AM
....also no Pea.......cock......on Roku....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 01, 2020 11:49AM
Surprising that Roku isn't supporting HBOMax since that's now the single sign-in for HBO services (paid thru app and paid thru cable). It'd be interesting to see who flinches first. Roku is integrated into several smart TVs, isn't it?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 01, 2020 12:08PM
bfd
Surprising that Roku isn't supporting HBOMax since that's now the single sign-in for HBO services (paid thru app and paid thru cable). It'd be interesting to see who flinches first. Roku is integrated into several smart TVs, isn't it?

Yes it is. No HBO for me for now. I have HBO Max on my phone, not available on my AppleTV 3G. I want to get a new one, but will wait for new (maybe) version to appear in September..(maybe).

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 01, 2020 12:58PM
bfd

Comes down to money, as it always does. There's a contract/fees dispute going on b'tw the two companies and that's why you can't get it on Roku yet. [variety.com]

I recall reading that Amazon just inked a deal with HBO: [variety.com]

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Date: August 01, 2020 03:01PM
companies fight, consumers suffer.

I have HBO on my ATT TV Now ($5), which allows me to use HBO Go. HBO Now is a separate thing that is $15, so $10 more than what I pay now. No thanks.

I will use my Apple TV 4K, I assume it works there.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 01, 2020 04:26PM
space-time
I will use my Apple TV 4K, I assume it works there.

It does, indeed -- using it on mine with no problems.

It is what it is.
Date: August 02, 2020 07:38AM
I logged in to HBO last night through my Roku. It doesn't say HBO Go nor HBO Max, simply HBO.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 02, 2020 09:41AM
CJ,

Regular HBO on the Roku isn't the same as HBO Max. Thhey offer much of the same content but Max offers stuff not available on regular HBO.

Robert
Date: August 02, 2020 11:42AM
CJsNvrUrly
I logged in to HBO last night through my Roku. It doesn't say HBO Go nor HBO Max, simply HBO.

Do you use your TV provider to log in or do you have a separate HBO account ($?)?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 02, 2020 12:13PM
....so no......GO.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: August 03, 2020 09:01AM
space-time
CJsNvrUrly

Do you use your TV provider to log in or do you have a separate HBO account ($?)?

I log in and pay through Roku.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: dk62
Date: August 03, 2020 02:06PM
The problem is only with those of us who pay for HBO through cable provider. I am casting to ROKU from my Android phone, but am looking forward to a more permanent solution.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 03, 2020 03:23PM
dk62
The problem is only with those of us who pay for HBO through cable provider. I am casting to ROKU from my Android phone, but am looking forward to a more permanent solution.

I pay for HBO through my service provider (AT&T TV Now, not cable) and have no problems accessing HBO Max.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Randalls
Date: August 06, 2020 07:47AM
I bought the Apple lightning to HDMI adapter for $45 at Walmart. I mirror HBO Max app to my TV. Old school work around for now. I pay for HBO through Comcast but my wife and I have old eyes and without access to a TV signal could not watch shows on iPad or iPhone with much satisfaction.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 157
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018