advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $111.78 ( -0.87 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How do you remove "Hard Water" build up on Glass Shower?
Posted by: Microman
Date: February 19, 2007 10:46AM
I knew our area had HARD water, but it is so bad, that the shower glass that use to be clean and nice, are loaded with the build up that hard water causes.

Is there any product that will work. I have tried so many things in the past, and none seem to leave the glass nice again.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How do you remove "Hard Water" build up on Glass Shower?
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 19, 2007 10:59AM
you have got to wipe them down after every single shower

dishwashing detergent

and there is some sort of a wax that you can put on it that will protect it...i just cant remember the name

----

The Secret Diary of Steve Jobs [www.fakesteve.net]

Posted by: iaJim
Date: February 19, 2007 11:04AM
I use that shower spray every time I shower. I haven't found any difference in the brands. You do need to get it clean first though. Have you tried LimeAway? It's a good product. CLR is also a good product.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: February 19, 2007 11:13AM
Back in my college days I used something like Limeaway or CLR, some Comet cleanser, and Bleach. Try and vent the bathroom (open a window) because the fumes of the combinations are nasty.
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: February 19, 2007 11:25AM
WD-40 sprayed liberally and wiped off is amazing at cleaning them up.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: February 19, 2007 11:26AM
Vinegar is a cheap and cheerful way of removing the buildup unless it really is caked on then after each shower use one of these:

[www.windows101.com]

We have one in our shower, we have hard water and no problems on the glass.

Posted by: billb
Date: February 19, 2007 11:32AM
I've used vinegar to get it wet, then added baking soda for an abrasive.
The reaction is cool.
Only if I haven't ignored it for a while, then that takes too long/too many tries.

Can't think of the name of it right now, but it comes in a white bottle, bleach and grit, stinky stuff. Tub and Tile something or other.

I've used borateem instead of the baking soda too.
Used in washer to help with hard well water.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: February 19, 2007 11:46AM
Comet will scratch glass. Soft Scrub will not.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: February 19, 2007 12:38PM
Posted by: h linamen
Date: February 19, 2007 12:45PM
Once you have it cleaned up, you might consider what we do..... We keep a 12" wide squeegee in the shower and a couple of strokes removes the water beads. Works great. Actually we squugee the tile walls too. Takes just one minute and well worth it.
Posted by: Maddog
Date: February 19, 2007 01:24PM
Second the squeegee idea. Just leave it in the shower and make it part of the end of shower routine. Eliminates a lot of the problem.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: February 19, 2007 01:31PM
Maddog
Second the squeegee idea. Just leave it in the shower and make it part of the end of shower routine. Eliminates a lot of the problem.

Actually you thirded the idea and I will now fourth the idea although I did first the idea. Got the idea?

smiling smiley

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 19, 2007 01:32PM
ArtP- the gases produced from a combination of Lime-Away and Bleach can kill you. Do NOT do it.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 19, 2007 01:37PM
third the squeegee, OK, fifth or sixth it, or whatever, w/ recommendation to get all solid plastic and rubber bathroom friendly model w/ no sharp edges... the more industrial types, though probably a couple of bucks cheaper, should not be allowed!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2007 01:38PM by Buzz.
Posted by: what4
Date: February 19, 2007 01:56PM
I believe scale requires an acid to dissolve it outright, which is why vinegar works on light deposits. You could try patting it down repeatedly with a vinegar-soaked sponge and letting it soak as long as you feel up to keeping the vinegar on it.

For heavier deposits, us a commercial cleanser, which probably contains a stronger chemical like phosphoric acid. (Never mix with bleach.)

Abrasive scrub sponges might not help. They tend to get gummed up by the scale.

I second the advice above on prevention. It's just hard for some of us to train family members to wipe down the shower after using it. So, cleanup is required.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: February 19, 2007 02:09PM
CLR
Lime-Away
KaBoom!
Oh, and a WaterBlade.

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Date: February 19, 2007 02:12PM
I'm tellin' you....WD-40.
Date: February 19, 2007 02:27PM
Please, don't use an oil product in your shower or anywhere that water and traction is involved.
It is really dangerous, and not that smart,

Cbelt3 said it first, ArtP the combo of Lime-Away, and Bleach make chlorine gas, aka, Mustard Gas, it will kill you, puts huge blisters in your lungs, then you drown.
Well, not exactly Mustard Gas (no ammonia), but deadly anyway!

BGnR

"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: olnacl
Date: February 19, 2007 02:38PM
Follow the squeege with a white cotton towel, like a gym or hospital towel. I haven't had to scrub the walls in a shower that I use daily in more than 6 years. Also, drying with a towel after you squeege eliminates mold growing in the grout.

Date: February 19, 2007 02:42PM
Hey BigGuynRusty,

I read about it in a stupid email of 100 uses of WD-40 and I thought it was nuts. I sprayed it on the glass and it wiped off instantly leaving no residue and no oily mess. I was not in the tub at the time and I can see how it would be dangerous by making it slippery, but if you have a hard to remove spot carefully wiping it with a rag moistened with WD-40 might prove the trick. Maybe followed by soap and water if you want to totally remove it to prevent any accidents.
Posted by: kap
Date: February 19, 2007 03:02PM
I eigthth the rubber squeeze after each shower. We squeeze only the wall tiles. As for the shower door every other month I first clean it with vinegar. Next, dry it well with a towel. Then spray and buff the glass with Turtle car wax.

Kap

West San Gabriel Valley, California ... for the time being :-)
Date: February 19, 2007 03:13PM
Dennis R
Hey BigGuynRusty,

I read about it in a stupid email of 100 uses of WD-40 and I thought it was nuts. I sprayed it on the glass and it wiped off instantly leaving no residue and no oily mess. I was not in the tub at the time and I can see how it would be dangerous by making it slippery, but if you have a hard to remove spot carefully wiping it with a rag moistened with WD-40 might prove the trick. Maybe followed by soap and water if you want to totally remove it to prevent any accidents.

That way I agree with, but we don't have the "Sharpest Blades in the Drawer" here.
If someone actually has to ask how to remove hard scale lime deposits, and has watched at least ten minutes of TV in the last 30 years, there are problems!
You have to be pretty specific here.

BGnR

Posted by: ArtP
Date: February 19, 2007 03:25PM
cbelt3
ArtP- the gases produced from a combination of Lime-Away and Bleach can kill you. Do NOT do it.

Like I said back in my college days with a few room mates (about 15 years ago), the shower got pretty messy. When little Black mildew began to grow, the Bleach took care of that. I think it was CLR mainly to clean the glass, rinse and followed with Bleach in a spray bottle fir tough spots.

Like I said nasty fumes. I am still kicking but I remember I had red eyes for a few hours.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 19, 2007 03:26PM
I use a squeegee (to keep the soap scum down) but the wax someone mentioned is probably "glass wax" Metal can that is bubblegum pink. I have a can floating around the house somewhere. Cuts down on fogging as well.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 19, 2007 03:35PM
Isopropyl alcohol is supposed to be decent at shining up chrome and glass with a film of hard water.

in tha 510.
Date: February 19, 2007 03:55PM
ArtP
Like I said nasty fumes. I am still kicking but I remember I had red eyes for a few hours.

I love the instructions on those mildew remover products.:
"Use in well ventilated area"
If it was a "Well Ventilated Area", I wouldn't need the stuff!

BGnR

Posted by: TLB
Date: February 19, 2007 04:03PM
To get the glass in squegee condition, I buy a gallon of white vinegar and heavy duty paper towels. Soak paper towels in the vinegar and place them on the glass. Let them sit until almost dry. Follow up by scrubbing with vinegar soaked scotch pad. Finish with mild soap and water, then dry towel squeegee or whatever--do not air dry.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 19, 2007 04:22PM
The glass wax stuff doesn't let the disolved solids get a purchase on the glass and the formica (we have formica shower surrounds)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 72
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 322 on December 17, 2014