advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Summer PSA: If getting boat trailer or RV out of mothballs, consider fresh tires
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 02, 2020 12:48PM
We saw so many shredded trailer/RV tires on our recent cross-country trip. Interstates eat dry-rotted tires for lunch. I suspect folks who hadn't taken the rig out for a couple years are now doing so for COVID, and thinking the tread looks good, so...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Summer PSA: If getting boat trailer or RV out of mothballs, consider fresh tires
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: August 02, 2020 01:34PM
Indeed. Last year I decided to replace the three tires on our little Casita fiberglass travel trailer, which we had bought used in 2016. The Casita was built in 2013 and still had the original tires. They looked fine, with plenty of tread (we had taken very few trips); indeed the spare had never been used. No signs of sidewall cracking or sun damage. But they were six-year-old Marathons, made in China, which had a reputation for disintegrating at speed.

I bought Goodyear Endurance tires from eTrailer.com, and had my local auto shop mount and balance them. So far we've taken only two trips (to Virginia and back), but I having fresh new tires (with a good reputation) on the Casita is just one thing less to worry about—and there's always plenty when trailering.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Re: Summer PSA: If getting boat trailer or RV out of mothballs, consider fresh tires
Posted by: btfc
Date: August 02, 2020 01:37PM
Yes, and grease those bearings!
Posted by: Michael
Date: August 02, 2020 01:45PM
One other caution--my neighbor bought some used tires at a place down the street for his small travel trailer. They looked great on the side that was showing. But when he got underneath it to look at something he noted that the tires had splits around them on the inside. The place apparently took some that they had replaced and just flipped them for my neighbor. Fortunately he was able to swap them for something else.

It seems to me that buying used tires is pretty much asking for it.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 02, 2020 01:58PM
.....don't tread.....on me......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 02, 2020 02:22PM
The other key is to use trailer rated tires. Car/truck tires aren’t appropriate for trailer use.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 02, 2020 04:00PM

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 02, 2020 04:15PM
btfc
Yes, and grease those bearings!

That's what I came here to say! thumbs up

When I travelled back and forth on the interstate every week, I noticed many tire skid marks leading to the shoulder of the road. Wheel bearing failure on trailer, I suspect.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 02, 2020 07:57PM
....most parents have had issues with skidmarks with their kids.....particularly when young but can happen older......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: August 02, 2020 09:46PM
Filliam H. Muffman

smiley-laughing001

Don't wear them down to the steel belts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 214
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018