advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
no longer an athletic supporter?!.....Microsoft will stop supporting Office 2016 for mac......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 03, 2020 02:32PM
.....in October......no support....

Microsoft to Stop Supporting Office 2016 for Mac in October

....Microsoft's Office 2016 for Mac is set to reach its end of support date on October 13, 2020, and after that date, connecting to Office 365 services using the Office 2016 for Mac software will no longer be supported.

Microsoft shared the detail in a support document from July highlighting which versions of Office will be supported for connecting to Office 365 services in the future.

Connecting to Office 365 services using Office 2016 for Mac isn't supported after October 13, 2020. That's because Office 2016 for Mac reaches end of support on that date.

Microsoft Office 2016 for Windows, Microsoft Office 2019, Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise, and Microsoft Apps for business will all continue to work with Office 365.

According to Microsoft, no active measures will be taken to block other versions of the Office client, like Office 2013, but older clients could encounter performance or reliability issues over time.

This suggests that connecting to Office 365 services using Office for Mac 2016 could potentially work after the deadline, but it's not entirely clear if that will be the case.

Office 2016 for Mac users who rely on Microsoft's products and services can purchase Office 2019 for $150 or subscribe to Microsoft 365 Personal for $70 per year. Office 2019 will be supported through 2023.

no more....support......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: no longer an athletic supporter?!.....Microsoft will stop supporting Office 2016 for mac......
Posted by: Carm
Date: August 03, 2020 02:58PM
Still running 2010 doh
Re: no longer an athletic supporter?!.....Microsoft will stop supporting Office 2016 for mac......
Posted by: wowzer
Date: August 03, 2020 03:20PM
Is it wrong that I’m still on 2008ish?

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 03, 2020 03:56PM
Does that mean it will stop nagging me every frickin day that there is an update available (even when I turn off updates notifications in the notification panel)?
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 03, 2020 04:00PM
Office 2016 for Windows will be supported, but not Office 2016 for Macs.

Nice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2020 04:00PM by sekker.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 03, 2020 05:29PM
NewtonMP2100

Office 2016 for Mac users who rely on Microsoft's products and services can purchase Office 2019 for $150 or subscribe to Microsoft 365 Personal for $70 per year. Office 2019 will be supported through 2023.[/i]

or buy the international license for Office 2019 Professional Plus off eBay for $3.98, which is what I did this weekend.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: JoeM
Date: August 03, 2020 06:03PM
Does anyone ever use Microsoft support?

JoeM
Posted by: davemchine
Date: August 03, 2020 07:14PM
I tried the eBay suggestion and it was a bust. The license I received was invalid. I applied for a refund and it was denied. I tried the eBay suggestion and it was a bust. The license I received was invalid. I applied for a refund and it was denied.

I can’t believe Microsoft is ending support for software that is only four years old.
Posted by: Billybob
Date: August 04, 2020 03:36AM
pdq
Does that mean it will stop nagging me every frickin day that there is an update available (even when I turn off updates notifications in the notification panel)?

I removed the updater application to avoid this annoyance.

Still on Excel 2011--or more accurately, I downgraded to 2011 after finding Excel 365 unusable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2020 03:38AM by Billybob.
Posted by: rz
Date: August 04, 2020 08:27AM
JoeM
Does anyone ever use Microsoft support?

Just once. I purchased Office 2016 via their Home Use Program with my employer. It would not activate, even though I had a legit activation code. Tried it on two different machines, same problem. One, my Mac Pro, was not running the latest OS at the time. But my MBP was. They kept trying to tell me I needed to update to the latest OS. I said that was BS because my laptop WAS running the latest. I said I needed a new activation code, but they wouldn't give me one. So I ended up downloading an already-activated version off Usenet. I have downloaded, but not yet installed, an already-activated version of Office 2019. But I rarely use Office and don't know if/when I will update it.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 04, 2020 11:39AM
davemchine
I can’t believe Microsoft is ending support for software that is only four years old.

This. Ridiculous. Going the way of Adobe trying to force the migration to subscription.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 04, 2020 01:48PM
sekker
davemchine

This. Ridiculous. Going the way of Adobe trying to force the migration to subscription.

Office 2016 for the Mac was released in July 2015 and has been on the market for five years (yes, the product name is somewhat misleading). This announcement is in full alignment with Microsoft's longstanding policy to end support for its software products after five years. While the fairness of that policy is debatable, the timing of this announcement isn't.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: August 05, 2020 05:35AM
Plus, you can get Office 2019 as a standalone, non-subscription unit.

$150

[www.microsoft.com]

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 05, 2020 01:34PM
Still on 2011, like many before. Probably the only thing holding me to Mojave!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 213
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018