advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Car key madness
Posted by: wowzer
Date: August 03, 2020 03:37PM
My kids have managed to loose my master 2017 Toyota Camry car keys. I brought the car to the stealership to have another key made. They wanted $937 for 1 key. Is this insane or did I miss something?

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2020 03:38PM by wowzer.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Car key madness
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 03, 2020 03:46PM
I have heard some Ace Hardware stores make them for a lot better price.
Posted by: Carm
Date: August 03, 2020 03:48PM
Locksmith would probably cost between 60-90 percent of stealership price.
Depends on car and key

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2020 03:49PM by Carm.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 03, 2020 03:48PM
....in instances where there is a Master......we will all be paying for years.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 03, 2020 03:55PM
Key "blanks" can be purchased from eBay. They will still need to be programmed.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 03, 2020 04:01PM
I love the older Ford/Lincoln/Mercury system. If you have 2 programmed keys, you can easily program the third in your ignition lock. Very civil of them. Buy blank key with chip, have it cut, program it yourself.

Same with key fob.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: August 03, 2020 04:13PM
We had to replace a Toyota Matrix key about 5 years ago after Mrs Markintosh dropped it in the driveway. It snowed. The snowblower converted the key into 100 little pieces. It was the kind where the remote is built in to the key.

$430 to replace at the stealership...plus three trips to the dealer. Once to find out they didn't have the right one in stock, once to find out the replacement order was also wrong...and the third to actually get it done.

That price seems pretty consistent to what I generally hear for dealer prices. $937 seems very excessive. I would check independent locksmiths.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: hal
Date: August 03, 2020 04:16PM
wowzer
My kids have managed to loose my master 2017 Toyota Camry car keys. I brought the car to the stealership to have another key made. They wanted $937 for 1 key. Is this insane or did I miss something?

Maybe they'll take the kid as payment - two birds, one stone :-)
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 03, 2020 04:23PM
VW wanted in the neighborhood of $400.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: August 03, 2020 04:26PM
If you a Windows PC, there is software that will let you program your own key, IIRC. Still not cheap, but cheaper.
Date: August 03, 2020 04:28PM
I can almost live w $300-$400. But $800+ is excessive.

Posted by: datbeme
Date: August 03, 2020 04:29PM
We lost one a few years ago. Spent over $300 for a replacement, and the lost one did eventually turn up...but it wasn't until a year later.

It happened again with my current car, and we are making do with one key because I'm certain it will turn up. I feel like the last time I remember having both, it was when I gave if to my wife when we went on a weekend trip right before the pandemic. I figured it was insurance if we got split up or misplaced one while away from home. That obviously worked out well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2020 04:30PM by datbeme.
Date: August 03, 2020 04:30PM
There is the bonus that 5 minutes after you leave the dealership with the new key, the old one will turn up in a seatback pocket or under a floor mat. You'll have a spare!

hamster dance

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2020 04:31PM by Markintosh.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 03, 2020 04:32PM
Dupe key/fob w/ programming for my 2016 VW: $201.
Friend just got one for her Audi R8 Spyder: $320.
From the respective dealers.
(locksmith told me German cars have proprietary systems that are only available to
authorized dealers & 'service' providers.)

imho, Toyota is trying to eff you without the courtesy of using vaseline!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: MarkD
Date: August 03, 2020 04:37PM
I have had to do this several times. Seems to be an increasing complexity. I have ordered some and could program myself. Some places on the internet use refurbished original fobs and others sell the look alike. The last key was at an Ace hardware that performed the key service. Had to order it and cost about $230 for the key and reprogramming instead of $390 at the dealer. I live in Houston so had lots of places to deal with getting the keys.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 03, 2020 04:43PM
Racer X
I love the older Ford/Lincoln/Mercury system. If you have 2 programmed keys, you can easily program the third in your ignition lock. Very civil of them. Buy blank key with chip, have it cut, program it yourself.

Same with key fob.

My older (EDIT: 10th generation) Chevy Suburban only needs one working code key to make as many as you want.

Key fobs are programmed via the vehicle, again as many as you want.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2020 10:52AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 03, 2020 04:54PM
What? Outrageous!!!

When I got my first car back in the 70's, all I needed to do was go up to the hardware store and they would cut you a new key for .99 cents!! .99 cents I tells ya!!! old fogey smiley

Don't get me started on headlights!!!! bomb smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: August 03, 2020 05:07PM
Racer X
I love the older Ford/Lincoln/Mercury system...

Date: August 03, 2020 05:07PM
One other gotcha I ran into with a Mitsubishi key...the kind where the remote is built into the key. The stealership tried to charge two separate programming fees: one for the transponder that lets the key talk to the ignition system, and a second to program the remote buttons to talk to the security system.

I walked out of there and spent some time hunting down a locksmith that was able to do a Mistubishi key programming.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 03, 2020 05:25PM
Just dodged that bullet today. I couldn't find my fob this morning but wife knew where my spare was. Started looking again when I got home at 1pm and just found it at 6:30pm.

whew

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 03, 2020 05:44PM
We have 3 cars from 1998 and one from 2003 that still use just simple keys, costs maybe $4 tops to get a copy made.

The 2007 Prius the dealer quoted me $325 for an extra key the day I was buying it so I passed, still have the two originals, the plastic shells are getting beat up but there are cheap third party replacements for those plastic parts.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 03, 2020 05:51PM
SDGuy
Racer X
I love the older Ford/Lincoln/Mercury system...

MRF's version of the Rick Roll. smiley-laughing001

It is what it is.
Posted by: raz
Date: August 03, 2020 05:55PM
Check your insurance policy. Mine apparently has lost key coverage, but I haven’t needed it.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 03, 2020 06:16PM
....so you want to key......your own car......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: August 03, 2020 06:46PM
My wife lost her key to our 2011 Camry. I got it replaced at our local Ace Hardware for $160. All of the functions work fine and it also works in the ignition.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 03, 2020 06:56PM
raz
Check your insurance policy. Mine apparently has lost key coverage, but I haven’t needed it.

This thread reminded me of it. I REALLY need to get a spare for my Prius. I got 2 with the car, but one dissipated a year ago. I have PLENTY of time to kill right now. Need to contact my insurance.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 03, 2020 08:10PM
there is built in to the steering wheel on Volvos an immoblizer so that anything but the exact correct key will not start the car. I think other marques are similar.

I know people have had issues with getting aftermarket keys made and not working, and then after all that still having to go to the dealer and get a key. but, last I heard it was in the $450 range.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 03, 2020 08:18PM
Hmm, 2 out of the 3 cars I have only have 1 key. Maybe I shouldn't be living so dangerously.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 03, 2020 09:23PM
FWIW, a $4 copy of a chipped key, assuming it still has the metal toothed key part and not just a fob, may at least open locked doors. Useful if you are just locked out.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2020 09:25PM by Acer.
Posted by: Don C
Date: August 03, 2020 11:14PM
Wife lost accountability of her keys last year. Nissan Quest replacement was $157, we bought two. I think that included the reprogramming. The MINI key was $245; we only needed one of those.

When we found her keys, her Nissan key did not work any more due to the reprogramming. BTW: the Nissan came with a key that opens the doors but will not start the car. Looks just like the "real" key so it was a surprise when the independent service guy called and said that he could not start the car with the key I'd left.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 03, 2020 11:21PM
About three or four years ago we had an event that required getting another Lexus key (w/ the integrated fob controls). We DIY'ed it for about the same as MM's Ace 2011 Camry replacement. $145 for generic replacement key/fob unit on ebay, then a few bucks to the local locksmith to cut it to size/shape, and finally a bit too much time trying to follow the online programing instructions.... there were some time sensitive procedures that were REALLY sensitive. Once the key was working properly, I sanded and smoothed the rough edges, and found a key chain thingy w/ a logo that we liked, then pried it off to epoxy onto the fake, but working, replacement key.

If a place is gonna be responsible for everything, I'd be comfortable up to about $300... beyond that it's Portland (Rip City) Territory.
$937 is more than enough for three different cars!
==
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 04, 2020 12:29AM
Markintosh
There is the bonus that 5 minutes after you leave the dealership with the new key, the old one will turn up in a seatback pocket or under a floor mat. You'll have a spare!

hamster dance

That happened with our Volvo key. We were ready to pay $400+ when the missing showed up. Within an hour we were at the local key shop duplicating ($40) the original. We now have more keys for more locks than we'll ever use. All that $ will be gone with the newer electronic keys - wonder what the cost for a lost password will be.
Date: August 04, 2020 12:36AM
Doesn’t seem to be a DIY for recent Camrys.

Posted by: GGD
Date: August 04, 2020 12:46AM
Is there any data on how this change in key technology has impacted car thefts? In other words, is there any bang for the buck with these expensive keys?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 04, 2020 05:40AM
GGD
Is there any data on how this change in key technology has impacted car thefts? In other words, is there any bang for the buck with these expensive keys?

We are now at the same level as the car thiefs - we don't have to reach into our pocket and take out a key to start the car. Other than that, nope.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Mr645
Date: August 04, 2020 06:26AM
Had a valet lose a key to my VW once. The owner of the valet company came over, called AAA and they came with a blank for $199, including cutting the flip out key. I could see the frustration on the valet owners face as he forked over the cash. The new key worked and then says "This will get you home, but your going to need to bring it to a VW dealer and they will charge you $99 to program the buttons to the car" I think I saw some steam start to come off the value company owners head.

7am the next morning they call me, found the key, will drop it off shortly.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 04, 2020 07:59AM
need to bring it to a VW dealer and they will charge you $99 to program the buttons to the car

$99 is typical for doing a 'bring your own' fob w/ pre-cut key.
The programming is done via a computer with the car's CCM, 'Immobilizer', & fob.
iirc, all VW Group, Mercedes, BMW, and Volvos work in that manner and the dealer's
dedicated programmer computer connects with the "mothership" to get it accomplished.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: modelamac
Date: August 04, 2020 08:19AM
But he is still out $900.

Markintosh

hamster dance

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 04, 2020 08:36AM
I paid $82.38 for two keys for my keyless entry and ignition fob for my Volt from an eBay seller. I paid my local locksmith a bit less than $20 per key to cut, program and test them in my car to confirm that they worked. (No discount from the locksmith for the second key.)

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 163
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020