Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Sprunt
Posted by: p8712
Date: August 03, 2020 09:22PM
Bye, Felicia

Sprint was a storied American brand, but it is no longer. T-Mobile, which closed its $30 billion merger with the wireless carrier in April, officially retired the Sprint brand Monday.

"I want to acknowledge the Sprint history and its 120-year legacy that is now part of our legacy as we launch into this new era," said T-Mobile CEO Mike Sievert in a statement, adding, "We did it! Another historic day for new T-Mobile!"
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sprunt
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 03, 2020 10:03PM
The reason they're not here is political. Not because of business.
Posted by: p8712
Date: August 03, 2020 11:02PM
vision63

I honestly haven’t been following the story and knew nothing about it.
Date: August 04, 2020 12:00AM
p8712
vision63

We had 4 national carriers and now we're down to 3. I have Sprint and now I can talk and surf at the same time, which I couldn't do before. So that's something good. Sprint was also the last vestige of the once mighty Southern Pacific Railroad. For some reason I liked that.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 04, 2020 12:05AM
We had 4 national carriers and now we're down to 3.

Capitalism always moves toward monopoly, always has and always will.
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 04, 2020 12:35AM
RgrF

Just like the good old days.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 04, 2020 12:57AM
a friend of mine has had Sprint for years. it allows her to text to a landline. As a realtor she finds that very useful and only recently learned other carriers don’t do that. she’s hoping she won’t lose that feature.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: August 04, 2020 06:47AM
vision63
p8712
vision63

We had 4 national carriers and now we're down to 3. I have Sprint and now I can talk and surf at the same time, which I couldn't do before. So that's something good. Sprint was also the last vestige of the once mighty Southern Pacific Railroad. For some reason I liked that.

I didn't know that. I have an SP calendar this year. This month, a 'Black Widow' SD45 pulling the San Joaquin Daylight in 1970.

We signed up with T-Mobile two years ago for lower old-folks rates, but have been unhappy with coverage: great indoors with wireless, which T-M piggybacks on, but lousy in places (like my dentist's office, or Powhatan, VA where daughter's family live. Contract is up this month. I'm wondering if the addition of Sprint's system will improve T-M's coverage, and how long we have to wait to find out.

/Mr Lynn

PS Is 'Sprunt' the past-tense of 'Sprint'?

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2020 06:51AM by mrlynn.
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 04, 2020 07:43AM
Over the years, I've been with EVERY major carrier. ALL of the carriers seem to ignore their current customers while they search for "fresh meat". Once you leave a carrier, then they seem to care and want you back. The ONLY power the customer has is to actually leave said carrier. Fortunately, most people have at least two carriers (and most have more than two) and, that gives them a measure of power over the phone giants.

Several years ago, Sprint spent BIG money outbidding "the other three" carriers for new bands that the FCC was making available. Trouble was, that after spending all that $$$ to be the top bidder, Sprint had no money left to capitalize on all that new bandwidth. Recently, T-Mobile bought Band 71 (I believe that's the right #) which everyone else thought was of little value. Turns out that T-Mobile was right and everyone else was wrong. Between all the bandwidth that Sprint brings to the party along with Band 71, T-Mobile is sitting VERY pretty right now.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 04, 2020 12:36PM
I was a Sprint Spectrum subscriber way back in the mid-90s..... One of the first PCS networks around!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: August 04, 2020 12:45PM
rjmacs
I was a Sprint Spectrum subscriber way back in the mid-90s..... One of the first PCS networks around!

You go waaaaaay back.
Posted by: Buck
Date: August 04, 2020 12:50PM
RgrF

What an idiotic statement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2020 12:51PM by Buck.
Posted by: raz
Date: August 04, 2020 01:03PM
Buck
RgrF

Politely disagree. Unless you want to argue that pools, trusts, or other forms of cartels are not a monopoly. Unregulated capitalism has always moved towards consolidation.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Date: August 04, 2020 01:09PM
raz
Buck
RgrF

Politely disagree. Unless you want to argue that pools, trusts, or other forms of cartels are not a monopoly. Unregulated capitalism has always moved towards consolidation.

Let's all agree to disagree.

Sprint has been my only carrier since 1999. They had become the devil that I know. So I'm not crazy about being shoved to T-Mobile. Sprint has been very good at keeping me in phone debt. I wonder how many people would switch carriers right now, if they weren't leasing phones?
Posted by: polychrome
Date: August 04, 2020 02:33PM
Good to see other longtime Sprint customers on here. I've been with Sprint since 1997. They made some bad business decisions. Through the highs and lows, and crappy coverage, they gave out great retention discounts that have kept me with them. Then they did away with trying to retain old customers a few years ago. I can't justify Verizon's pricey plans and I've been in areas where they don't have good coverage so I haven't switched. AT&T is a crapshoot too. I'll transition over to T-Mobile and see how it is. It'll be good to see another 4th major carrier sprout up.
Date: August 04, 2020 03:12PM
polychrome
Good to see other longtime Sprint customers on here. I've been with Sprint since 1997. They made some bad business decisions. Through the highs and lows, and crappy coverage, they gave out great retention discounts that have kept me with them. Then they did away with trying to retain old customers a few years ago. I can't justify Verizon's pricey plans and I've been in areas where they don't have good coverage so I haven't switched. AT&T is a crapshoot too. I'll transition over to T-Mobile and see how it is. It'll be good to see another 4th major carrier sprout up.

The CEO Dan Hesse years was the golden time for Sprint (Sprunt). 2007 to 2014. Very customer friendly times.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 04, 2020 03:37PM
I was a Sprint customer from 1998 up until a year or two ago. I switched simply because Sprint couldn't provide a plan I wanted at a price I wanted to pay. It didn't matter that I had been a customer for decades; they no longer had what I wanted and did not have the flexibility to bend the rules.

I "switched" to Tello which has much better rates. The catch is Tello is a Sprint MVNO, so in a way, I didn't really switch providers, just who I send the payment to. It will be interesting to see what happens with Tello now that Sprint is no more.

Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 04, 2020 06:54PM
Also started w/ Sprint last century, and finally completely unwound from them about 3 years ago. Been w/ some flavor of T-Mo since around 2012/13, and currently our second provider option is Verizon, via Spectrum Mobile for $14/mo.... just gotta remember to keep the cellular data usage down. Talk/text are unlimited, and FaceTiming, and other data intensive stuff is cool over wifi. I was a Sprint fanboy for a long time, but as phones got smarter, our horizons expanded. Couldn't get our poop together whenever Sprint released good new group plans and phone options, then T-Mo started kicking boo-tay, and claimed the rest of our Sprint biz.

Since we had Sprint's long distance service on our GTE/Verizon landlines, we got pretty much unlimited long distance on our landlines, as we had 5 PCS lines (3 paid + 2 freebies) and each gave us like 100 min/mo. of free long distance.... That helped w/ the loyalty to Sprint back then.

Anybody else remember Sprint's ION service?
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 195
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020