advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
good news, bad news?!.....Disney says live action 'Mulan' will debuTT on Disney+ on Sep. 4th....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 04, 2020 05:05PM
.....the bad news is they will charge additional $29.99 to watch it [ most VOD is $19.99 ]........

Mulan Skipping U.S. Theaters and Heading to Disney+ — But It'll Cost Ya

......Disney is slashing the age-old theatrical window to ribbons: The much-anticipated live-action remake of Mulan is skipping theaters in the U.S. and debuting on Disney+ on Friday, Sept. 4… for an additional $29.99 fee, that is.

The news was announced during Disney’s earnings call on Tuesday, our sister site Variety reports. Mulan — based on the 1998 animated film and starring Liu Yifei as the titular girl who poses as a boy to take her father’s place in China’s imperial army — was originally slated to be released in theaters back in March, but was delayed due to the global coronavirus pandemic. A new premiere date was announced and then moved back several more times, until it was removed from Disney’s release calendar altogether last month. (The film is still expected to premiere in theaters internationally.)

Mulan is one of the highest-profile theatrical films to go straight to a streaming service or VOD this year in response to the coronavirus outbreak, which has claimed nearly 160,000 lives in the U.S. alone. The Tom Hanks-starring World War II drama Greyhound, once bound for theaters, premiered on Apple TV+ last month, while movies like Trolls World Tour and The Invisible Man became available on VOD months ahead of schedule.

Disney is upping the ante, though, with the hefty $29.99 price tag for Mulan. Other early VOD arrivals from major studios have been charging $19.99 at most for the convenience of watching a new Hollywood release from the comfort of your couch. But Disney CEO Bob Chapek emphasizes that this isn’t the start of a trend: “We’re looking at Mulan as a one-off, as opposed to saying there’s some new business windowing model that we’re looking at.”

who is going to pay $29.99 for live action......'Mulan'........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: good news, bad news?!.....Disney says live action 'Mulan' will debuTT on Disney+ on Sep. 4th....
Posted by: timg
Date: August 04, 2020 05:35PM
No thanks. I have disney+ but there is no way I'll be forking over 30 bucks to watch this.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Re: good news, bad news?!.....Disney says live action 'Mulan' will debuTT on Disney+ on Sep. 4th....
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 04, 2020 05:38PM
timg
No thanks. I have disney+ but there is no way I'll be forking over 30 bucks to watch this.

Yes. I can wait 3-6 months (or longer). Still have plenty of other video content to watch.

EDIT: Funny, I would have paid $30 for Hamilton - and I had seen it in theater.

Just no comparison in terms of content/value.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2020 05:39PM by sekker.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 04, 2020 05:40PM
IMO this means they do not have particularly high expectations for this movie but they have higher expectations for other movies in the pipeline.

Therefore test the waters at $30 here and see how many people pay vs. don't. If it does well, the subsequent higher demand movies will certainly get a $30 price, and if it does poorly then not as much money lost on this lesser movie but future ones will stay at the $20 price (maybe $25?) to make sure they make their $.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 04, 2020 06:11PM
Families will pay it.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 04, 2020 07:01PM
Wait a few months and it'll be on there anyway.

The latest Kevin Bacon movie originally meant for a theatrical release dropped from a $20 to $6 rental after barely a month.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2020 07:06PM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: Carm
Date: August 04, 2020 07:57PM
Waiting it out. Cost outweighs benefit.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: August 04, 2020 08:48PM
Now if they were offering the latest Bond or Black Widow--I'd at least think about paying $30
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 04, 2020 09:25PM
I'll get the BluRay cheap at Christmas time.

The original animated one is one of the best modern animated Disney movies though. Pixar not included.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 04, 2020 10:41PM
I'll pass on it all.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 05, 2020 08:57AM
jdc
Families will pay it.

Not talking about this specific film, necessarily, but $30 is an absolute bargain for a family for a first-run film, speaking as a Dad who's taken his own kids with their friend or two, concession stand (what we don't sneak in), food afterwards, no pausing for bathroom breaks, maybe food afterwards, and not counting the tickets themselves. I don't even want to add it up in my head again.

$30 is *great* for this.

Mulan; eh, we'll probably just wait 'til it's part of the normal Disney+ collection. But for other first-run movies (i.e., PPV/VOD that hasn't already had a theatrical run) -- sure, $30 is more than reasonable.

Just my 2¢. YMMV.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 05, 2020 09:55PM
Zoidberg
Not talking about this specific film, necessarily, but $30 is an absolute bargain for a family for a first-run film, speaking as a Dad who's taken his own kids with their friend or two, concession stand (what we don't sneak in), food afterwards, no pausing for bathroom breaks, maybe food afterwards, and not counting the tickets themselves. I don't even want to add it up in my head again.

True. Last family movie was Star Wars 9, including dinner, drinks popcorn and tickets for for was... a lot.

OTOH we did see it on Digital IMAX, and I remember measuring the screen/field of view with my hands...
When I got home I sat in front of my 65" TV and scooted forward until I had roughly the same field of view.

I was three feet my screen... and there's Daisy's scar on her right cheek!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 168
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020