Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPad info...
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 05, 2020 03:03AM
...so sue me , I'm a cheapskate.

Wife has confiscated my old iPad to read library books since she (I) can longer access hard copy library titles for her. For years -seems like decades - I've tried to wean her onto ebooks, to no avail. COVID did what I couldn't and now it's either divorce or I get a replacement iPad.

So what is a reasonable (read cheap) upgrade, given that I only use it to access books and an occasional NFL site to do battle with the rest of the family?

Current holdings are an original iPad (not accessible), a second gen (that she took) and a mini my grandson will surrender only upon loss of fingers or life.

What's the next best used upgrade that won't be obsoleted next month?

(anyone else recall back when Apple promised nothing would ever be obsoleted?)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPad info...
Posted by: Carm
Date: August 05, 2020 03:25AM
Minimum IPad Air 2 or greater. Swappa/EBay/Gazelle
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 05, 2020 03:50AM
budget? current 10.2" 7th gen iPads are $249 often.

my kids have 9.7" 6th gen... they are fine. all day everyday -- runs it all. prob minimum I would go. Released in march 2018... already 2 years outdated. *maybe* a 5th gen if you can get it cheap cheap. but now 3 years old....

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 05, 2020 06:12AM
Find an old firesale HP TouchPad... they can still function as ereaders, and can be pimped to run semi-recent Android distros. They're the exact same size as the old 9.7" iPads, albeit a bit thicker and heavier, but their screens are quite nice. You can dual boot into webOS or 'droid, so you can snag content in 'droid, and read in webOS if you like. And best of all, you'll get your old iPad back if you play your card right.

An answer to your cheapskate dreams?
Sure the TouchPad was instant obsolescence upon its firesale, but what it can do for ebooks ought to be around at least until the grandkids use it for their kids' high school show & tell (or it breaks irreparably).
==
Posted by: samintx
Date: August 05, 2020 06:33AM
What about Amz pad.?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 05, 2020 07:03AM
Buzz
Find an old firesale HP TouchPad..
Don't. Honestly. I had one. I donated it a few weeks ago. It was crazy slow. And super heavy. Replaced it within an iPad Air2.

Note that lots of apps won't work with obsolete iPads, so the Air2 is a good bet (still updating).

Or... buy the mrs. a Kindle and take yours back.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 05, 2020 10:29AM
....get an iPad mini for her to use for her book reading.....it fits nicer in the hand......either get a current model or save money and get one generation behind.....since she only uses to read books......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2020 10:29AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 05, 2020 11:33AM
If she is only reading books, a kindle or Kobo would be a far closer to a real book experience. And both have been recently updated.

If you are super price sensitive but plan to let your wife keep the iPad, an Amazon tablet was just updated as well. It's one of the best bang/$$ hardware you can buy today. Just do not think it will be an iPad. You CAN install the google play store on it now, however - you are not just stuck with the Amazon app store.

In terms of used iPads, I honestly would look for a used 7th or 8th gen iPad. Both are fine for reading and will be supported for years.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: August 05, 2020 12:19PM
A month or two ago, I got a new 7th gen iPad 10.2 (wireless) delivered from Sam's, and it's really nice (such an upgrade from my old iPad first-gen!). Sprang for the 128GB version as they had a $50 off tech savings promotion (so it cost $350; IIRC, the 32GB ones were $250). Don't see such a deal right now, though. sad smiley

I enjoy reading books on it much more than on a regular Kindle, a device which kind of drives me crazy for some reason. Old Fogette Ha ha, I often use the Kindle App on my iPad, though! I miss going to the physical library so much, but the iPad helps.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 05, 2020 08:21PM
Thanks all. Seems a 7th or 8th gen iPad is the answer since it provides flexibility that a Kindle doesn't . My daughter once gave me a Kindle reader that I found completely unusable, it still sits unused in a drawer somewhere in the house.

PS: for bookophiles check out
Gutenberg
or
Internet Archive

if your local library doesn't have what you want.
Posted by: dk62
Date: August 06, 2020 06:33PM
I have iPad mini and Pro (the latter provided by work for any way I want to use it) and I have honestly not touched either in months. For reading, light surfing, and streaming video content Amazon tablets are great and cheap. I see no reason why someone would spend money on iPad for the uses that you mention.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 201
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020