advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
To all the parents with school or college age children
Posted by: samintx
Date: August 05, 2020 06:38AM
My best goes out to you. I am so glad I am not in your shoes during the Pandemic. Bless you and my very best wishes go out to you. I could not do what you face and are facing.emoticon_love

Ps: forgot to include teacher,tooemoticon_love

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2020 11:37AM by samintx.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: To all the parents with school or college age children
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 05, 2020 06:57AM
It's even scarier for the teachers and staff - we aren't really given a choice and are in an even higher risk group.

We are doing everything possible to make it safe for everyone, but it will only take one or two ignoring the precautions to make it all futile. Our realistic goal is to get the students ready for virtual learning when (not if) the school closes again.

I just hope no one dies due to this.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 05, 2020 07:00AM
I too cannot imagine what the K-12 schools are going to be like. When my kids were that age, we always got EVERY single illness that was 'going around' within the first month of the Fall semester. Schools are biological weapons labs. Hundreds of thousands of educators, grandparents, parents, and children are going to die as a result of bad decision making.

Our youngest is graduating with his BA in December. He stayed one more semester for an additional certificate because nobody is hiring. He attends a state university in Ohio. They went remote in March, and is going to in person + remote in late August. All of his classes are remote, so he is safe. He is actually at a friend's house in Maryland until the end of September... working online (customer service gig) and helping out around the house fixing stuff and helping rehab their garage.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 05, 2020 07:12AM
my partner's youngest is imunocompromised due to his meds for Crohn's. Everything is up in the air for his college. His classes are based on group learning and small group discussions. No idea how well these will translate. You might think that you could do Zoom classes, but the face to face aspect is crucial for the interpersonal perspective.

Go Goeducks!

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 05, 2020 07:41AM
Son, age 27, lives in the Rio Grande Valley (McAllen, TX, virus hotspot). College grad in 2015. Since then he has been teaching English online for a company located in South Africa to students in Taiwan and China, making a pitifully small amount of money. Now he finds he is in high demand to get certified/licensed to teach in the public schools (he does not have an education degree) because, obviously, the virus results in lots of remote teaching, and also especially because of the retirements of so many older teachers. He had his first workshop, lasting six hours, this past Saturday presented by the school district. He’s excited to get into the classroom, either in-person or online.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2020 08:02AM by Speedy.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 05, 2020 07:52AM
...to all the girls, I've loved before.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Spiff
Date: August 05, 2020 07:53AM
I have three wee ones. Two pre-K and one third grader. I am smack dab in the middle of this with no where to go. My wife and I have talked about the options until we are sick of it. There are no good options, is what it boils down to.
Posted by: d4
Date: August 05, 2020 07:54AM
Quite a few of the older teachers in my kids' school retired at the end of last school year. They either could not handle the new way of teaching via online. Or of course they didn't want to risk their life either when school is back in session.

At the end of the school year the school faculty organized a farewell to the students in the school parking lot. The parents and kids drove by in a "car parade" honking and waving hand drawn signs. An entire grade of students were moving on to middle school and never had a chance to say goodbye to any of the teachers and faculty. Many of the teachers were tearing up. Not all teachers are perfect, but the vast majority of them are beautiful caring people who love their work.

Posted by: STL
Date: August 05, 2020 08:28AM
Think logically, not politically.
Keep them home to keep them safe.
Do online until safe criteria are met.
To big a risk to for in school attendance.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: August 05, 2020 09:03AM
Our schools are doing 9 weeks of virtual and then reevaluatiing. Even after that our daughter's school has vowed to do what is safe. If the rest of the district votes to go back to in-person learning, her school may stick to virtual.

Date: August 05, 2020 09:03AM
Right now in NYC/LongIsland the infection rate has been hovering at 1% for weeks. Out of 4 classrooms of kids, one kid has covid. Not great.

There will be: Staggered arrival and departure times. Masks worn all day. Temp checks. No indoor gym. No cafeteria. Lunch will be delivered to the classroom and eaten in the classroom at separate desks. Sinks in classrooms. Teachers with face shields. Hand sanitizer stations in hallways. Our school district has sent out surveys and questionnaires to the parents.

I live in one of the better public school districts in Long Island. We pay A TON of local school taxes for that "privilege." I don't take it for granted and am thankful we can afford to live here. Hopefully the precautions are enough to keep the faculty, children and their families safe.

Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 05, 2020 09:07AM
My county is online only until January, unless the situation drastically improves. That is definitely the safer option. Schooling from home with two full time parents is no walk in the park though.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 05, 2020 10:32AM
I'm with samintx on this one ... my heart goes out to those of you who have kids and are forced (or have no other choice) than but to send your kids back to school in person. This goes double for the teachers and staff, some of whom are being put into an absolutely impossible situation.

I pretty much agree with all that's been said here -- you have to think of your kids and your own health before everything else. I realize that home schooling may not be an option for a large number of parents, but there might be other options -- individual/online tutoring/classes, small(er) group style education, etc.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: rz
Date: August 05, 2020 10:58AM
bazookaman
Our schools are doing 9 weeks of virtual and then reevaluatiing. Even after that our daughter's school has vowed to do what is safe. If the rest of the district votes to go back to in-person learning, her school may stick to virtual.

Pretty much the same here. My son is starting 7th grade next week. He was given 3 options. In-person, virtual through the school, or virtual through the county. The difference between the latter two is that he goes to a charter school and if we chose the county option, he would lose his place. So we chose virtual through the school. They provided a Chromebook.

He will have to follow a schedule, and they're supposedly using Teams. Everything was self-paced at the end of last school year, which he hated. He felt like he was teaching himself. This should be interesting. Everyone will be doing virtual learning for the first two weeks. Supposedly they will not be grading anything for those first two weeks. Then the in-person kids have to report to the school and the virtual kids start getting graded. He really wanted to go back in-person until he found out that none of his friends would be going back.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 05, 2020 02:39PM
d4
Right now in NYC/LongIsland the infection rate has been hovering at 1% for weeks. Out of 4 classrooms of kids, one kid has covid. Not great.

Wait, out of about 90-100 kids one of them has tested positive? I would think that's good (~1%). There are probably more kids who will test positive, but this is the current world we are occupying.
Posted by: Pat
Date: August 05, 2020 02:58PM
Today is first day of school here.
All online in our county. Our district is using Canvas.
Late start, short classes, kicking the wheels today.
Daughter should be starting her 4th class now.
She took a zero period class just in case athletics doesn't work out.

Son is a college freshman.
His classes are all online too.
He still has two weeks of sleeping in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2020 02:59PM by Pat.
Date: August 05, 2020 03:56PM
mrbigstuff
d4

Wait, out of about 90-100 kids one of them has tested positive? I would think that's good (~1%). There are probably more kids who will test positive, but this is the current world we are occupying.

That was a hypothetical example of 1%. (25 kids in a class x 4 classes.) School hasn't started here. Hypothetically, if one kid has covid that entire classroom of 25 kids, and their families, and the teacher, and the assistant will likely go into 2 week quarantine. The local parent forums will go apesht. IMO, that's not good.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 05, 2020 04:58PM
d4
mrbigstuff
d4

That was a hypothetical example of 1%. (25 kids in a class x 4 classes.) School hasn't started here. Hypothetically, if one kid has covid that entire classroom of 25 kids, and their families, and the teacher, and the assistant will likely go into 2 week quarantine. The local parent forums will go apesht. IMO, that's not good.

Ok. Yeah. That is what could happen and the parents will lose their stuff, as you say. Still, if we are in the same boat in six months....?
Posted by: Sam3
Date: August 06, 2020 03:17AM
Since we are in Phase 4 of reopening in Michigan, my daughter's school district is offering either all virtual or a hybrid for 7-12 grade. Hybrid is the kids are divided into 2 groups, red and white. Red meets Mondays and Tuesdays in person and does the rest of the week online. White meets Thursday and Friday, the rest of the time online. Wednesdays is school cleaning and any remedial service time that may be needed. They are also implementing a "quadmester" program, even they still call it a semester, out of the six classes that kids have each day, three classes will be taught intensely in 1-1/2 hour blocks from end of August to beginning of November, then the other three classes will be from November to mid-January, when the semester ends.

K-6 will be 4 days a week in person, starting three weeks into the semester, Wednesdays will be a cleaning and virtual day. First three weeks will be like the 7-12 grade program. Lunch will be in the classsrooms, recess time will be by classrooms only.

Masks mandatory. Laptops (Chromebooks) available for kids to sign out. WiFi hotspots available for kids to sign out if their household does not have internet.

Classes will be taught both symmetrically and asymmetrically, in other words, symmetrical would be work paced with the teacher while asymmetrically would be the kids do work at their own pace.

It seems well thought out, we are trying to decide which way to go, mom wants virtual only, I am OK with the hybrid, and 12th grader daughter hasn't decided. She wants to go back, but is also nervous and would be OK staying home. Her question, which I sent off to the school is "how will they guarantee that the kids will all wear facemasks, and will wear them properly? (no nose visible, keeping it up, not pulled down, etc.)" When asking us this, she said "teens are stupid".

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 06, 2020 09:31AM
Sam3
Since we are in Phase 4 of reopening in Michigan, my daughter's school district is offering either all virtual or a hybrid for 7-12 grade. Hybrid is the kids are divided into 2 groups, red and white. Red meets Mondays and Tuesdays in person and does the rest of the week online. White meets Thursday and Friday, the rest of the time online. Wednesdays is school cleaning and any remedial service time that may be needed. They are also implementing a "quadmester" program, even they still call it a semester, out of the six classes that kids have each day, three classes will be taught intensely in 1-1/2 hour blocks from end of August to beginning of November, then the other three classes will be from November to mid-January, when the semester ends.

K-6 will be 4 days a week in person, starting three weeks into the semester, Wednesdays will be a cleaning and virtual day. First three weeks will be like the 7-12 grade program. Lunch will be in the classsrooms, recess time will be by classrooms only.

Masks mandatory. Laptops (Chromebooks) available for kids to sign out. WiFi hotspots available for kids to sign out if their household does not have internet.

Classes will be taught both symmetrically and asymmetrically, in other words, symmetrical would be work paced with the teacher while asymmetrically would be the kids do work at their own pace.

It seems well thought out, we are trying to decide which way to go, mom wants virtual only, I am OK with the hybrid, and 12th grader daughter hasn't decided. She wants to go back, but is also nervous and would be OK staying home. Her question, which I sent off to the school is "how will they guarantee that the kids will all wear facemasks, and will wear them properly? (no nose visible, keeping it up, not pulled down, etc.)" When asking us this, she said "teens are stupid".

Your daughter sounds very mature, and apparently smarter than some school administrators. grinning smiley

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 187
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020