advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
on PC speak, what is the equivalent of an i7 for an AMD chip?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 05, 2020 10:32AM
I'm looking for a laptop for school purposes, and that has morphed into (possibly) buying one that can provide more oomph than just school work.

But, I really know nothing PC-speak when it comes to processors. What would be a reasonable (max-$1000 for the whole machine) chip set to look for, from either of the two big companies?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: on PC speak, what is the equivalent of an i7 for an AMD chip?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 05, 2020 12:08PM
i7 has been a class of CPU around for ~10 years or more. Generally defined as one having several cores (perhaps 8) that also offers hyper-threading. I am not informed on AMD CPUs, but it would be helpful to know which i7 you are comparing to.
Posted by: kj
Date: August 05, 2020 12:09PM
The new Ryzen 4000 series (4300, 4600, 4700) chips kick serious butt. Generally, the Ryzen 7 was equivalent to the i7, to answer that question, but the above are laptop chips, and I would look for a laptop with the amd ryzen 4000 series.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2020 12:14PM by kj.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 05, 2020 12:38PM
Ryzen 7 = Core i7 in terms of market placement. There are individual advantages and disadvantages of both but the differences are not major in most cases in desktop CPUs.

In terms of *laptops*, only get the AMD Ryzen 4000 series as kj said. The Ryzen 3000 laptop CPUs were clearly behind Intel in performance and the Ryzen 4000 laptop CPUs are clearly ahead of Intel. It is a *huge* jump in performance. Even the Ryzen 5 (similar market position to Intel i5) is in many cases faster than the Intel i7 and of course way faster than the Intel i5.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2020 12:39PM by Lew Zealand.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 05, 2020 12:59PM
Part of the problem is what level of i7? They range from slow dual-core in cheap Ultra-books to 8 pound desktop replacement octa-core. The new AMD product lines are VERY confusing (not to say the previous ones were any better), even for people that have been closely following AMD mobile processors for years.

A powerful/fast CPU can be hobbled by a poor cooling solution and exacerbated by a limited power budget ( cough*Apple*cough ) in "thin-and-light" designs. Generally the more threads a CPU can run, the more power it will use but that depends on the specific kind of load. This is a quick rundown.
AMD Ryzen 7 4800U . 1800 - 4200 MHz . 8 / 16 . 8 MB
AMD Ryzen 7 4700U . 2000 - 4100 MHz . 8 / . 8 . 8 MB
AMD Ryzen 5 4600U . 2100 - 4000 MHz . 6 / 12 . 8 MB
AMD Ryzen 5 4500U . 2300 - 4000 MHz . 6 / . 6 . 8 MB
AMD Ryzen 3 4300U . 2700 - 3700 MHz . 4 / . 4 . 6 MB

For mid-range, the 4700U, 4600U and 4500U are typically within 10% of performance, depending on the exact benchmark. Any AMD CPU number that ends in H is higher performance and will either have shortened battery life or have a much heavier battery. HS is high performance with a severe power budget designed to limit heat and increase battery life, it will turbo for a few seconds and then slow way down. AMD just announced a new set of mobile chips that end with G and GE suffixes that will have new integrated GPUs, but I am guessing it will be November/January before these will have sale prices.

One of the most recent overviews with a full set of products. finance.yahoo.com/news/amd-ryzen-4000-laptops-buy-131545673.html It is Yahoo!, so take it with several grains of salt.
Dell - hothardware.com/news/dell-g5-15-se-notebook
HP - www.theverge.com/21319378/hp-envy-x360-2020-amd-review-price-specs-features
Lenovo** - www.windowscentral.com/lenovo-flex-5-14-amd-review

** listed with reservation because of 5 year old OEM rootkit security problem.

The really good AMD laptop chips are still 3-8 months away, but that always seems to be the case. whine smiley

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Carm
Date: August 05, 2020 01:57PM
What Filliam said. You can get an Acer Swift 3 with a 4500 Ryzen at Costco for $500
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 05, 2020 02:32PM
this is good stuff, thanks a bunch. any more info is still welcome.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 05, 2020 08:03PM
Acer is more of a commodity laptop but it should be fine as long as it is not abused too much. They have been in the top ten PC manufacturers for close to 15 years. Acer moved up to #5 or #6 because other manufacturers have dropped out of the U.S. market (and Compaq getting bought by HP).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 06, 2020 01:42PM
Miss the old days of x86 xxxMhz being a pretty good guideline for power.

Would we be on 1286 xxxxxxMhz by now?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: kj
Date: August 06, 2020 04:41PM
I know there is a thing about Lenovo, but man, they make some of the nicest laptops. I
believe there are at least a couple with the Ryzen 4000. I've had one of the Yoga ones for several years, and it's really a great computer.
A few months ago I bought an Acer gaming laptop, and it's quite a machine. Considering what's packed into it, it's really pretty refined. I have been impressed. But for ultrabooks, I like the Lenovos, regardless of the past phone home stuff. The HP x360 looks nice too, but I thought the last one I tried out had kind of a flimsy feeling keybed, but they've probably improved.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 187
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018