advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
MR Forum Video Conference Series: Redrum! Redroom? Soundroom?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 05, 2020 02:24PM
Welcome to the MR Forum Video Conference Series, where we attempt to give helpful hints on improving how others view you.

The following is based on my training and experience years of pointing lenses at people for money.

Feel free to add information.

These are all suggestions so do what is best for your situation.

You may ask for a refund at any time.

Exposure and lighting: [forums.macresource.com]
What I use for lighting: [forums.macresource.com]
Maximizing one light source: [forums.macresource.com]
Lighting ideas and lamps: [forums.macresource.com]
Microphones: [forums.macresource.com]
Lighting critique: [forums.macresource.com]
Backgrounds: [forums.macresource.com]
Why wide angle lenses are unflattering: [forums.macresource.com]
Canon cameras advantages as webcams: [forums.macresource.com]

No, not this.

Red or black foam panels that reduce sound reflection off surfaces.

Red foam: [www.amazon.com]

Other color foam: [www.amazon.com]

The acoustic panels listed above can reduce the amount of audio reflection in a room. This can provide better sound. A pack of acoustic panels starts at around $20 shipped.

Other items in the house can reduce sound reflection include pillows, area rugs, carpeting.

I have some very spongy shipping foam that has reduced the amount of sounds reflection in the room I use for video conferencing.

If anyone has other echo reduction ideas, feel free to list it.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: MR Forum Video Conference Series: Redrum! Redroom? Soundroom?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 05, 2020 02:49PM
A low cost sound reduction technique my sister recommended to her staff doing podcasts programming... Set up in your walk-in closet. Hanging clothing does a great job of reducing echoes as well as external noises.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 05, 2020 03:27PM
Once you have the room under control-
Fan noise from a laptop if often picked up by the internal mic, and so an effective way to mitigate this is to use an inexpensive external USB mic. Of course you can go more expensive and get an external USB/Thunderbolt audio interface and fancy condenser mic on a shock mount stand, but for most users a ~$100 Snowball USB mic is fine.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 05, 2020 03:30PM
I record in a tile bathroom with a cheap built-in laptop mic just to get the maximum noise to signal ratio. You're just biased against slap reflections. Slappist! Those reflections are good enough for you when they're 400-800 THz EMF in the very same same bathroom as long as there's silvered glass close by. But acoustic signals just aren't welcome.

I see how it is. eye twitch smiley
Date: August 05, 2020 03:32PM
Lew Zealand
I record in a tile bathroom with a cheap built-in laptop mic just to get the maximum noise to signal ratio. You're just biased against slap reflections. Slappist! Those reflections are good enough for you when they're 400-800 THz EMF in the very same same bathroom as long as there's silvered glass close by. But acoustic signals just aren't welcome.

I see how it is. eye twitch smiley

OH so YOU'RE the guy who keeps sending me the awful recordings!!! smiley12
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 05, 2020 03:53PM
Terhertz Audio Signals ? That's some seriously picometer vibrations there.... screaming at a subatomic level ? Strange quarks cracking jokes ?
Posted by: August West
Date: August 05, 2020 04:32PM

Slappist!

smiley-laughing001

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: August 05, 2020 06:06PM
I have a 2015 MacBook Air with a single headphone jack. On zoom meetings, I use my cheap Grado headphones and the built in microphone. If I wanted to use an external microphone, how would I do the attachment? Will a usb microphone be detected as a microphone by the system and put to use? If I got one of those earphone plus microphone sets with a single plug, will the system detect and use them?

Second issue:

I am active in local neighborhood council activities (earthquake preparedness among other things) and we have online zoom meetings with as many as 30 or 40 participants (maximum was 143 when the mayor was a guest). I think it would be useful to create some set of simple instructions to help my colleagues with sound and lighting -- in each meeting, there are at least a couple of people whose sound rings or goes up and down or is muffled. I also notice ads on Amazon (and late night television) for lighting add-ons. Can anybody recommend something that is not too expensive and works reasonably well? Same for microphones?

I suspect that we will be doing online meetings for at least another year due to the virus, and even after we are all vaccinated, we may continue with online meetings for at least some purposes.

Thanks.

PS: Perhaps this group will think about having its own zoom meeting sometime in the near future. Some of us know each other in the internet sense for 20 years now. I've always felt like a newcomer because there was a thriving DealMac community in existence when I first found it, but I'm guessing that I might have missed two or three years at most.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 06, 2020 12:01AM
cbelt3
Terhertz Audio Signals ? That's some seriously picometer vibrations there.... screaming at a subatomic level ? Strange quarks cracking jokes ?

400-800 THz EMF = visible light
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 06, 2020 09:24AM
pRICE cUBE
The acoustic panels listed above can reduce the amount of audio reflection in a room. This can provide better sound. A pack of acoustic panels starts at around $20 shipped...

What do you use to frame them when you hang the panels on the wall as in the photo?

Date: August 06, 2020 11:54AM
Sarcany
pRICE cUBE
The acoustic panels listed above can reduce the amount of audio reflection in a room. This can provide better sound. A pack of acoustic panels starts at around $20 shipped...

What do you use to frame them when you hang the panels on the wall as in the photo?

I don't think he was sharing a pic from his personal setup, but I can tell you I have built something very similar. Wood framed, fabric covered, fiberglass-insulation filled acoustic panels using 1x6 trim boards on the outer perimeter, and then a separate 1x4 frame with the fabric stretched across it, built to slide just inside the existing 1x6 frame.

But with the aforementioned foam acoustic tiles you could easily glue or tack them to a dense foam core backer and then screw that to a frame or just directly onto a wall.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 06, 2020 01:46PM
Sarcany
pRICE cUBE

The image above is not my setup. Sadly, I have no musical talent so that setup is not needed.

I imagine that a bookshelf or other spots around the room can hold a few panels. I place my packing foam off camera near walls and the floor to reduce echo.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 192
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020