advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Volt owners - to charge daily or wait until XX% battery is used?
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 05, 2020 07:39PM
I am the happy owner of a nice 2018 Volt. Just starting to use regularly now that my wife has her new car.

Question: I drive it 6-12 miles a day about 4 times a week (WFH or S@H the rest).

I've been charging most nights to full.

I know I could do more look online, but I also know there are experienced Volt owners so I thought I'd post.

Also, any favorite Volt add-ons? So far, this is one of my favorite cars. Love the quickness!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Volt owners - to charge daily or wait until XX% battery is used?
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 05, 2020 07:43PM
Charge daily. The engineers optimized it already.

How many miles do you get on a full charge?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 05, 2020 07:46PM
Always Be Charging. It says so in the manual. The battery is engineered in such a way to protect itself from overcharging so don’t overthink this.

google Voltscreen and definitely buy one to protect your radiator from an expensive repair.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2020 07:48PM by graylocks.
Date: August 05, 2020 07:48PM
space-time
Charge daily. The engineers optimized it already.

How many miles do you get on a full charge?

40 (Jan in MN)-50 (July in MN) miles per charge.

Manual? Right, ok. I guess I can read that...
Date: August 05, 2020 07:50PM
graylocks
google Voltscreen and definitely buy one to protect your radiator from an expensive repair.

Great! Glad I posted here instead of reading the manual... I doubt THAT's printed by GM!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 05, 2020 07:58PM
....can you wait for XXX%......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 05, 2020 08:01PM
Not a Volt owner but we do have a Clarity, which is pretty much the same kind of PHEV. How often you charge probably doesn't matter all that much since both cars manage the battery level so that there's never a 0% or a 100% charge. It's optimized already. Some chatter indicates that leaving a "full" (likely 85-90% of capacity) battery sitting in the heat might create some problems long term. There's also the notion of charge-discharge cycles, so keeping track of that might gain a few extra cycles down the road. Bottom line is that the system is guaranteed to work at a certain percentage of battery capacity - at least in California - for 10 years. So all of the systems have to be at least that good. They're probably not building special batteries for California Volts.

But really, it comes down to your own experiences and where you're planning to drive your car. For one thing, being caught with too little charge won't matter since the ICE will just click whenever you need to generate juice. One possible circumstance where it might be an issue is the one that occurs when you're caught without juice and you're headed uphill for any length of time. There is a setting for that condition in the Volt, but not one in the Clarity. So in the case of the Clarity, the ICE starts over-revving to power the battery to feed the motor, and there are plenty of reports of loud engine noise and an overall reduction of power in that specific situation. Volt seems to have much better management in that area, however.

Anyway, PHEVs are great transitional vehicles, but with the steady increase of reliability and range in BEVs, the replacing the Clarity will likely be a BEV. We already have a Model S Tesla, and it's been fine on the longer trips we've taken - the kind that one might expect to need a PHEV for. And WTF, since we can't leave the country right now - and the foreseeable future, just how far can we drive anyway?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2020 08:02PM by bfd.
Date: August 05, 2020 08:54PM
bfd
Not a Volt owner but we do have a Clarity, which is pretty much the same kind of PHEV. How often you charge probably doesn't matter all that much since both cars manage the battery level so that there's never a 0% or a 100% charge. It's optimized already. Some chatter indicates that leaving a "full" (likely 85-90% of capacity) battery sitting in the heat might create some problems long term. There's also the notion of charge-discharge cycles, so keeping track of that might gain a few extra cycles down the road. Bottom line is that the system is guaranteed to work at a certain percentage of battery capacity - at least in California - for 10 years. So all of the systems have to be at least that good. They're probably not building special batteries for California Volts.

But really, it comes down to your own experiences and where you're planning to drive your car. For one thing, being caught with too little charge won't matter since the ICE will just click whenever you need to generate juice. One possible circumstance where it might be an issue is the one that occurs when you're caught without juice and you're headed uphill for any length of time. There is a setting for that condition in the Volt, but not one in the Clarity. So in the case of the Clarity, the ICE starts over-revving to power the battery to feed the motor, and there are plenty of reports of loud engine noise and an overall reduction of power in that specific situation. Volt seems to have much better management in that area, however.

Anyway, PHEVs are great transitional vehicles, but with the steady increase of reliability and range in BEVs, the replacing the Clarity will likely be a BEV. We already have a Model S Tesla, and it's been fine on the longer trips we've taken - the kind that one might expect to need a PHEV for. And WTF, since we can't leave the country right now - and the foreseeable future, just how far can we drive anyway?

We purchased the Volt because we could not find a Clarity for sale, new or used, for over 3 months. We have been very happy with the Volt, and its intended long-term use pre-COVID was for our son who had free at-work charging (remember that, how quaint!). We guess we paid $5-10k less for the Volt than any Clarity, so we are happy with that.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 05, 2020 08:58PM
sekker
graylocks

Great! Glad I posted here instead of reading the manual... I doubt THAT's printed by GM!

You still should read the manual.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: August 05, 2020 09:02PM
graylocks
sekker
graylocks

You still should read the manual.

A little night-time reading ahead...
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 05, 2020 11:11PM
Our Volt rarely gets used anymore (thanks to the virus) but we keep it plugged in. We always take the Cadillac ELR. That will reverse in the winter because the ELR runs its gas range extender anytime it gets below freezing but we can set the Volt to not run the range extender until it gets to 15°. I suppose, since we have a number of days where the high won’t get to 15°, we can drive either.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 06, 2020 07:22AM
My 2013 Volt is traveling around 30mi daily, so I almost never use gas unless I need to go somewhere after work.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 06, 2020 08:03AM
....Volt.....to Remove.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: August 06, 2020 09:36AM
Speedy
Our Volt rarely gets used anymore (thanks to the virus) but we keep it plugged in. We always take the Cadillac ELR. That will reverse in the winter because the ELR runs its gas range extender anytime it gets below freezing but we can set the Volt to not run the range extender until it gets to 15°. I suppose, since we have a number of days where the high won’t get to 15°, we can drive either.

How do you make that adjustment on the Volt? We did look into controls this winter, and there are not a lot of obvious options on the main panel.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 06, 2020 10:10AM
sekker
Speedy

How do you make that adjustment on the Volt? We did look into controls this winter, and there are not a lot of obvious options on the main panel.

I have a 2013 Volt. Go to the Vehicle Settings on the center console, and under "engine assisted heating" set it to "very cold temperatures".

The few times I’ve had it at the dealer, this has always been reset to the higher of the two settings.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2020 11:58AM by Speedy.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 07, 2020 01:33AM
They probably do a factory reset, not unlike a PRAM zap or SMC reset, or the CUDA button on an old tower,

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 218
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018