advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Would 12" Lodge skillet be desirable vs 10 1/4"?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 08, 2020 12:37PM
I have 2 10 1/4" ones and sometimes they are not quite big enough. Amazon has a 12" one with 2 helper handles but no real long handle for $20. But my smooth elective burner is only around 10". I guess that would heat fairly evenly with stirring, like fried potatoes. I don't know about pork chops or chicken. Anyway, $20 seems like a good price. If anyone is looking, they also have the Lodge 10 1/2" at $15.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Would 12" Lodge skillet be desirable vs 10 1/4"?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 08, 2020 12:43PM
I'd get the bigger one. You actually want room around the food so steam can escape out the side too, like a 10" steak in a 10.5" pan will steam the sides. In a 12" pan, the steam escapes.

I have either a 14" or 15" pan for a 12" burner. Does great on steaks and chops, or "stir" fry. Just checked, 14"

FYI, for seasoning, grape seed oil is excellent. Organic from Trader Joes is a great price too FWIW. I store it in the fridge so it doesn't go bad, as I don't use it that often to re-season. The youngest kid doesn't "get" cast iron cooking, so the seasoning gets screwed up sometimes.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2020 12:51PM by Racer X.
Date: August 08, 2020 12:48PM
That's a lot of utility for $20 and I'm way more likely to regret not buying it than buying it.
Date: August 08, 2020 12:53PM
Dang right. You can pass on one of your smaller ones to someone.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 08, 2020 02:43PM
a 12" Ozark Trail Cast Iron Skillet is $9.88 at Walmart (15" is $16.88)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 08, 2020 03:23PM
Lodge & Ozark are both good. Another is Victoria, made in Colombia and sold at
bezosville. They occasionally have it on sale @ a good discount!

Back in May, I got the 10X10 Square Grill Pan on sale for half-price ($15).
It's made of thicker iron than any of my Lodge pans and has a smoother finish.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: wurm
Date: August 08, 2020 03:48PM
That reminds me. We so rarely use our Lodge that it has rust showing. What's the best way to clean it off? I'll assume it's not a lost cause.
Date: August 08, 2020 04:06PM
wurm
That reminds me. We so rarely use our Lodge that it has rust showing. What's the best way to clean it off? I'll assume it's not a lost cause.

It's never a lost cause unless it cracks. Then scrub it with something enough to remove the rust and then reseason it and start over.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 08, 2020 04:50PM
I've become a big fan of carbon steel pans instead of cast iron. They're lighter, heat up more quickly and evenly, although they do cost a little bit more than cast iron. I think the only real advantage of cast iron, is that it retains a lot of heat which makes it great for searing a steak, or baking cornbread etc. However, for general purpose use, I much prefer carbon steel now. Check out the Matfer brand.
Date: August 08, 2020 06:27PM
freeradical
I've become a big fan of carbon steel pans instead of cast iron. They're lighter, heat up more quickly and evenly, although they do cost a little bit more than cast iron. I think the only real advantage of cast iron, is that it retains a lot of heat which makes it great for searing a steak, or baking cornbread etc. However, for general purpose use, I much prefer carbon steel now. Check out the Matfer brand.

My mom has an antique carbon steel crepe pan. Best dinner plate sized pancakes ever. Super slick, barely any oil needed.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 08, 2020 06:56PM
Dennis S
wurm

It's never a lost cause unless it cracks. Then scrub it with something enough to remove the rust and then reseason it and start over.

I lost a cast iron griddle. Found in the back yard a couple of months later (I don't want to know how it got there). Rust spots all over it. Got some steel wool and water. Scrubbed off. scrubbed off. scrubbed off.
Rinsed.
Took an SOS pad to finish and smooth it.
Rinsed.
Seasoned.
Rinsed.
Seasoned.
Like new.

Put it over the hot spot on my bbq, seared some steaks and burgers.

Srubbed and seasoned.
Like new.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: August 08, 2020 07:05PM
I bought a used Dutch oven with a skillet lid that was really rusted. I soaked them in water and vinegar and boiled water on the insides. After some scrubbing with steel wool and a few rounds of crisco, they're both great.
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 08, 2020 07:11PM
Okay, time to break out the steel wool. Thanks.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 08, 2020 07:13PM
Dennis S
wurm

It just so happens I've been researching this topic lately: [www.youtube.com]

It is what it is.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 08, 2020 07:20PM
definitely the 12".
we clean ours with salt and a damp paper towel.
or a little boiled water and baking soda paste and scrub with a old scrungy.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Date: August 08, 2020 07:22PM
wurm
Okay, time to break out the steel wool. Thanks.

There are lots of youtubes and a forum on Reddit. But, it's really simple and basic and almost foolproof. People have their favorite oil, but any will work OK.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: August 08, 2020 07:34PM
Cast iron is the BEST for making latkes (potato pancakes), because of the high thermal mass.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 08, 2020 08:39PM
....thanks a.....latke.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: August 08, 2020 08:45PM
anonymouse1
Cast iron is the BEST for making latkes (potato pancakes), because of the high thermal mass.

If you can't get the potatoes crispy outside, and creamy inside, stick to instant mashed potatoes and quit screwing around!

Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 09, 2020 05:49PM
Reason # 37264 why anything less than a gas stovetop sucks: uneven heat causes seasoning problems and resulting cooking weirdness.

[youtu.be]
Date: August 09, 2020 07:01PM
I hate, hate, hate my smooth top stove. It looks like a carbon steel pan is not in my immediate future.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 09, 2020 07:35PM
......most prefer 12"........or more.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 09, 2020 10:15PM
anything less than a gas stovetop suck

That's funny cuz I put cast iron on my cheap induction cooktop, set the control to
400 and it gets to 400 quickly and holds that temp.
No problem charring sous vide cooked proteins, cooking eggs, or even grilled cheese.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 11, 2020 08:32PM
CI in general doesn’t like rapid temp change. Glad yours is still fine. And from the video I posted, you can see how anything that isn’t gas probably won’t heat evenly, which specifically causes problems with seasoning.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 177
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020