advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I need a clipper recommendation for cutting my husband’s hair.
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 08, 2020 03:59PM
I have clippers for his beard, but I need some for his head.
I have been cutting his hair, since we have been sheltering in place, with scissors. I think it would be easier if I had some clippers that would work on his head, like the ones I use for his beard. It is so much easier to thin out the hair and keep it even, with clippers rather than scissors.
I would much prefer cordless, since I usually do his hair outside.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We aren’t going for anything fancy just keeping it off his ears and neck and layered a bit as it gets sort of curly if it gets too long.
Ideally l want to get that side layered look without having to spend so long with the scissors, as someone gets a little cranky if I make him sit there too long. smiling smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I need a clipper recommendation for cutting my husband’s hair.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 08, 2020 04:03PM
Basic WAHL with 8 snap on guides should do what you want. It's easy enough that I can do most of my own now, wife does the back trim.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 08, 2020 04:06PM
I bought a WAHL hair clipper set at Costco last summer. Professional quality and it's already paid for itself many times over.

It is what it is.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 08, 2020 04:10PM
I posted here about a Remington not too long back that is cordless and has a built-in vacuum. I've been very happy with it, except for the fact that about a month in, the charging LED stopped working (still charges fine though). I contacted Remington, and they sent out a replacement, free of charge... great company.

Edit -- the one I have is back in stock on Amazon and at a very reasonable price. Link: [www.amazon.com] ... and there's a similar one from them which is corded but more expensive: [www.amazon.com] ... weird that the corded one would be more expensive, because the cordless can be used with or without the cord.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2020 06:10PM by PeterB.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 08, 2020 04:12PM
My wife had a nice Wahl clipper that she used for years.

However, we have a long hair cat and she wanted something to trim him. The Wahl couldn't handle this thick long hair. So got this pet grooming kit and she says these are much better than the Wahl clippers. It is what she now uses for hair timing. When you think about it, hair is fur is hair.

[smile.amazon.com]

Bonus - it was about a third the price of the Wahl.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: August 08, 2020 04:20PM
Ombligo
My wife had a nice Wahl clipper that she used for years.

However, we have a long hair cat and she wanted something to trim him. The Wahl couldn't handle this thick long hair. So got this pet grooming kit and she says these are much better than the Wahl clippers. It is what she now uses for hair timing. When you think about it, hair is fur is hair.

[smile.amazon.com]

Bonus - it was about a third the price of the Wahl.

Funny you say that, my good friend uses her dog clippers on her husband's hair, too. She says the same thing. Lol

Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 08, 2020 04:27PM
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 08, 2020 04:35PM
My friend said the more expensive Wahls were way better than the cheaper ones.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 08, 2020 04:38PM
Some good recommendations and one stinker:
[co-op.theinventory.com]

Posted by: d4
Date: August 08, 2020 05:10PM
What type of hair does he have? Thin and wispy? Or thick? Asian and African American hair is thick. You'll need corded quality clippers to get through thick hair easily. If it's on the thin side and you find it pretty easy to cut with scissors a cordless one should be fine.

Noise level and overall weight of the clippers are also some things to consider. If you're on the older side, maybe a bit of arthritis in the hands, get the lighter clippers. They'll be easier to manage. The heavy corded clippers barbershops use are the ones with power to cut through thick hair like butter.

Tons of tutorials on YouTube. Skin fade cuts are pretty unforgiving for newbie haircutters. Don't even think about that until you're confident in what you're doing grinning smiley

Date: August 08, 2020 05:54PM
mattkime
[www.thearchitectsguide.com]

Lol. I had a nice electric hedge trimmer, before we moved, but I think he might lose an ear, or two.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 08, 2020 06:08PM
I have used a couple different cordless beard trimmers over the years, which eventually failed because the battery went toes up and wasn't practical to replace.

My latest beard trimmer is an inexpensive Wahl that uses AA batteries. It came with lithium batteries but after they were depleted I switched to Eneloop-type rechargables.

After the salons and barbershops were closed for about six weeks and I could no longer tolerate my growing hair, I got desperate and decided to use the beard trimmer. I thought it would be the worst haircut ever, but after a slow start it turned out just fine. I gave myself a couple more haircuts before the salons and barbershops were allowed to open and now don't necessarily plan to go back to paying someone else to do it.

Posted by: rz
Date: August 08, 2020 06:17PM
I had the Remington with the vacuum. It was great. Until the lithium battery died. Non-user replaceable. So I went back to the corded Wahl clippers that I have. I mainly use it to trim the goatee since I usually shave my head, but in the winter I'll let my hair grow in and I have to use the clippers every couple of weeks to keep it looking good. I do it outside too... just use an extension cord.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 08, 2020 06:47PM
....save some of the hair for the beer......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 08, 2020 07:00PM
rz
I had the Remington with the vacuum. It was great. Until the lithium battery died. Non-user replaceable. So I went back to the corded Wahl clippers that I have. I mainly use it to trim the goatee since I usually shave my head, but in the winter I'll let my hair grow in and I have to use the clippers every couple of weeks to keep it looking good. I do it outside too... just use an extension cord.

This is true (about the battery being non replaceable), but that's why I pointed out that you can use it corded or cordless. I don't think the battery dying would prevent you from using it corded? (And I'm sure some enterprising person out there has probably taken it apart to figure out how to replace the batteries...)

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: John B.
Date: August 08, 2020 07:15PM
Wahl or Remington corded kit with guides/shields. I have a Remington corded that is still going strong after about 15 years of use. Ceramic blades and an occasional drop of oil help.
Date: August 08, 2020 07:16PM
mattkime
[www.thearchitectsguide.com]

The topic at hand is haircuts, not manscaping. smiley-laughing001

It is what it is.
Date: August 08, 2020 07:17PM
Dennis S
My friend said the more expensive Wahls were way better than the cheaper ones.

I can say from first-hand experience that he is 100% correct.

It is what it is.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: August 08, 2020 07:32PM
I've had a high end Wahl for about 30 years now. Bought it for beard trimming. Never any maintenance, works like a charm. Just bought the combs and cut my own hair.

The Wahls have an adjustment lever that let's you fine-tune how long you want the hair to be.

That pet trimmer looks fine, too. I just like the Wahl value and reliability.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 08, 2020 09:14PM
We got a combo Wahl kit about 25 years ago. The trimmer croaked awhile back (read that, got dropped on the tile floor too many times....), but the heavy duty clipper is still going strong. Baby Buzz glomed onto it years ago, and nowadays his GF gets pressed into duty every couple of months. I heard it got lots of use when he was in college and it got passed around to the roommates. Those heavy duty clippers will cut thru just about anything. Any decent clipper is gonna be fine; it's the combs and guides that will make or break the clipper's effectiveness.
==
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 08, 2020 09:16PM
.....but can one clip ones children's....wings......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: August 08, 2020 09:56PM
Thanks all. I will try to see what is available locally in the Wahl or Remington line. If I can't find local, then Bezoville it will be.

Posted by: JoeM
Date: August 09, 2020 12:02PM
I just got a Norelco MG7750 Cordless multi trimmer for hair/beard and other “stuff” and gave myself my first haircut with it yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised with how well it did. It will run for 5 hours before needing a charge and has a bunch of different attachments.
[www.amazon.com]

JoeM
Date: August 09, 2020 03:25PM
JoeM
I just got a Norelco MG7750 Cordless multi trimmer for hair/beard and other “stuff” and gave myself my first haircut with it yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised with how well it did. It will run for 5 hours before needing a charge and has a bunch of different attachments.
[www.amazon.com]

Thanks! That looks interesting.

Posted by: vision63
Date: August 10, 2020 01:44AM
I have a friend that still uses this:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 193
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020