[earthquake.usgs.gov]

Fairly strong shaking at my house 175 miles south

Dog didn't care for it.

8:07 AM EST
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Did you feel that? 5.1 earthquake, Sparta NC
Posted by: Spiff
Date: August 09, 2020 07:44AM
Interesting! I felt the house shake in Columbia, SC around that time. Did I feel that earthquake?
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 09, 2020 08:08AM
A 5.1?

Out here we don't even get out of bed for a slight shaker like that.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 09, 2020 08:10AM
You beat me to it. We're 71 miles from the epicenter.

I was laid back in my recliner trying to get some sleep and my recliner was moving. I thought our cat was clawing at my throw and she was lying in the floor with her head up and looking around, she looked weird. My wife was still in bed and she said the bed was shaking. That was a first for me, she had felt one about 8 years ago but not this strong. Freaky! 2020 the year that just keeps on giving.

Grateful11
Date: August 09, 2020 08:12AM
RgrF
A 5.1?

Out here we don't even get out of bed for a slight shaker like that.

I'm fairly close to the epicenter and we rarely have them so the next time a hurricane comes through your place........................ LOL!

Grateful11
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 09, 2020 08:37AM
Spiff
Interesting! I felt the house shake in Columbia, SC around that time. Did I feel that earthquake?

Most likely yes. It was felt as far south as northeast Georgia. Atlanta, according to USGS reports.

Biggest quake in the inland Carolinas since 1916.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 08:41AM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 09, 2020 09:50AM
.....thought someone was a rockin'......so didn't come a knockin'........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: August 09, 2020 09:58AM
We felt it. My first thought was another tree fell on our house. But it kept rumbling. Very freaky. Especially since I've never felt an earthquake before.

Posted by: rgG
Date: August 09, 2020 09:59AM
Lemon Drop
Spiff

Most likely yes. It was felt as far south as northeast Georgia. Atlanta, according to USGS reports.

Biggest quake in the inland Carolinas since 1916.

I missed it here, just north of Atl. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 09, 2020 10:11AM
Slept through it in Atlanta, but one of our dogs was unaccountably freaked out this morning. Maybe he picked up on the vibes.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: August 09, 2020 12:35PM
In the Greenville/Spartanburg area of SC, our doors began rattling, and my wife said that the bed was shaking, although I didn't feel it myself (OK - I realize I've just set myself up for some gags, have at it.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 12:36PM by S. Pupp.
Date: August 09, 2020 07:21PM
I was just looking at FB and my cousin was at Oak island, NC this past week where they were hit with a hurricane, had no power for 3 days then came home yesterday and their house shakes from an earthquake. We also had tornadoes this past week and some flooding in some areas. My brother is camping this week and had over 5" of rain in 4 hours. It's crazy!

Grateful11
Date: August 09, 2020 07:35PM
Grateful11
I was just looking at FB and my cousin was at Oak island, NC this past week where they were hit with a hurricane, had no power for 3 days then came home yesterday and their house shakes from an earthquake. We also had tornadoes this past week and some flooding in some areas. My brother is camping this week and had over 5" of rain in 4 hours. It's crazy!

Yes Mother Nature is on a tear this weekend in the Carolinas. We had the wildest electrical storm I think I've ever seen on Friday night.

I've ordered a ThunderShirt and some pheromone spray for my poor dog. Between the thunder for 2 days, earthquake and somebody shooting a rifle off in the woods today he's a wreck.

Hope your brother has a good tent (or RV)...
Date: August 09, 2020 07:44PM
Lemon Drop
Grateful11

Yes Mother Nature is on a tear this weekend in the Carolinas. We had the wildest electrical storm I think I've ever seen on Friday night.

I've ordered a ThunderShirt and some pheromone spray for my poor dog. Between the thunder for 2 days, earthquake and somebody shooting a rifle off in the woods today he's a wreck.

You know I haven't heard much gunfire in a while which is unusual for our area. We're actually very dry here, only a 1/2" in 3 weeks, everything seems to go around us.

Yeah he has one of those big 5th wheel tag along things. You should see my sisters, hardwood floors, coffered ceilings, gas fireplace, full size fridge, washer and dryer you name it. I think it has 3 AC units. Pulled by a Dodge RAM 4500 with full air suspension.

Grateful11
Date: August 09, 2020 07:56PM
Grateful11
Lemon Drop
Grateful11

You know I haven't heard much gunfire in a while which is unusual for our area. We're actually very dry here, only a 1/2" in 3 weeks, everything seems to go around us.

Yeah he has one of those big 5th wheel tag along things. You should see my sisters, hardwood floors, coffered ceilings, gas fireplace, full size fridge, washer and dryer you name it. I think it has 3 AC units. Pulled by a Dodge RAM 4500 with full air suspension.

That cracks me up...camping??
Date: August 09, 2020 08:44PM
Lemon Drop
Grateful11
Lemon Drop
Grateful11

That cracks me up...camping??

I always enjoyed tent camping. My wife and I used to go when we were younger. Just 3 person wall tent from Sears. Lots of fun.

Grateful11
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 09, 2020 09:10PM
....many here......enjoy....popping a tent......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: DavidS
Date: August 09, 2020 09:25PM
My wife felt it here in Atlanta. I was working in the basement and did not feel anything.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 09, 2020 09:33PM
Lots of Carolinians and Georgians on the forum.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 10, 2020 06:12PM
Was in the shower...spouse thought it was me tromping around upstairs (carpet over OSB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 194
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020