advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Leaking fridge
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 09, 2020 07:53AM
for the past few days we find water on the floor coming from the fridge. it is not much during the day, very strange, but w find a large puddle in the mornings, and it seems that each day it is larger. We have hardwood floors in the kitchen. Ugh. I shut off the water line to the fridge, I hope to find no leak tomorrow morning.

Obviously there is a leak somewhere, but why it does not leak during the day?

I have this fridge. it is a high end KitchenAid, buy the water dispenser is on the wall INSIDE the fridge so you need to open the door to get some water. There is no ice maker in the fridge, you can get ice cubes in the freezer. Whoever designed this fridge should be fired.

I am thinking to replace it.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Leaking fridge
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 09, 2020 08:00AM
does it have and have you checked the overflow pan at the bottom?
I dump mine 1/mo in the hot months.
Or the door seals?
They can be ripped, but as long as they hold a dollar in place when closed.

I like our KA badged Thermador.
It's 14yo high end as well. 2 years ago I had the sealed system repaired.
KA/Therma covered parts, $1200. But I had to pay service.
Considering it's EER, if I get another 5 years or more out of it, I'm good.

I suggest post a question at Appliance411. Them guys have helped me with a number of appliance issues.

As I've said here before, KA/Whirlpool constantly recommended by repair people.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 08:03AM by Fritz.
Date: August 09, 2020 08:16AM
Good point, I didn't check the overflow pan.

what is EER?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 08:18AM by space-time.
Date: August 09, 2020 08:18AM
can I use a $20 bill? I have some brand new, consecutive serial numbers, fresh from the press.
Date: August 09, 2020 08:33AM
energy efficiency rating (aka treehugger number).

I dunno if your fridge will accept U$20s at this time.
Do they have the little threads and the mag-strip?

Perhaps dinars.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 08:33AM by Fritz.
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: August 09, 2020 09:12AM
s-t, It's probably an easy fix. I'd be willing to bet the defrost drain line is frozen. There is probably a sheet of ice on the bottom of the freezer caused by the clogged line and new water from a defrost cycle pours over the sheet and out onto the floor. There are a bunch of videos on youtube on how to unclog the drain. On my GE the bottom of the drain line has a flap to keep warm air from traveling up the line but it also restricts the flow of water coming down the line, allowing it to freeze. I removed the flap and haven't had a problem since.
Date: August 09, 2020 09:23AM
we lost power a few days ago and fridge was off for 2 days. the first day we had food in it, the second day we moved the food to the old house (expected to sell this week) and the fridge was almost empty. We still had a few non-critical items in it but I guess it was completely defrosted by the 4-ish hour when we got the power back.

But yes, I am willing to try all suggestions. We also have a one year warranty on the house, paid by previous owner (seller). I think it is supposed to over appliances. I may try that options too.

Anyway, if I cannot fix it, I won't regret a single minute. I hate the design of this fridge.
Date: August 09, 2020 09:24AM
Also, any guess on why there is not a lot of water during the day? yes, we may find a small amount now and then, but in the morning there is always a large (and larger) puddle.
Date: August 09, 2020 09:31AM
"but in the morning there is always a large (and larger) puddle. "

you're not sleep-walking ..... right?

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: testcase
Date: August 09, 2020 09:33AM
EER = Energy Efficiency Rating

The HIGHER the EER score, the LESS energy needed to run an appliance.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 09, 2020 09:44AM
.....no liquids after 8 pm, before going to bed.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 09, 2020 01:00PM
As mentioned, check the door seals. Especially the corners on the hinge side can get distorted over the years and not seal properly. The door can also warp over the years from repeated opening and closing cycles, check that it is square and closes on the seals evenly.

Why it does this overnight, possibly related to higher relative humidity then, or the way the defrost cycle runs. Is the condenser coils on the back of the fridge or underneath>? Some fridges with the coil underneath have a fan to draw air over the coil and use the heated air to help evaporate water in the drain pan.

Have you cleaned out dust and lint from the condenser coil, and for underneath coils from any grill in front of it at the bottom of the fridge?
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 09, 2020 01:32PM
space-time
we lost power a few days ago and fridge was off for 2 days. the first day we had food in it, the second day we moved the food to the old house (expected to sell this week) and the fridge was almost empty. We still had a few non-critical items in it but I guess it was completely defrosted by the 4-ish hour when we got the power back.

You pretty much melted ALL of the built up ice at once, I would focus on the pan under the fridge rather than water lines going into the fridge.

The pan is really designed to hold the water from a defrost cycle and for it to evaporate before the next defrost cycle. It's probably now completely full and if it does a defrost cycle at night it will likely overflow it.

If it is completely full, trying to move it without spilling is a challenge, so try to dip a sponge into it and slowly remove water that way.
Date: August 09, 2020 01:36PM
....check prostate.......??

.....one symptom of enlarged prostate is....frequent......leakage.......

Date: August 09, 2020 02:21PM
we had some water before the power outage.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: August 09, 2020 02:45PM
space-time,

Give me some more info and I should be able to help.

With just the info that it happens in the mornings, tells me that the defrost cycles might be happening at night and that the frost is not draining into the pan but onto the floor (seeping out the bottom of the door seal). That happens when the drain gets plugged with ice. Assuming it is a side-by-side........there should be a cake of ice on the floor of the freezer side.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 09, 2020 03:11PM
Yeah, the pan under the refrigerator could be overflowing at night when it's cooler and the defrost cycles are running - then during the day as things warm up - some water, but not enough, evaporates. The system is supposed to evaporate the small amount of drainage water in that overflow pan unless it's overwhelmed. When the fridge/freezer is off power, there's lots of condensation + some thaw, and that liquid all has to go somewhere.

Also, have you put in a new water filter recently? If not, then try replacing that as well - just be sure to insert that filter the correct way or you'll end up with another leak. That's never happened here … LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 03:13PM by bfd.
Date: August 11, 2020 08:12AM
I think I found the problem. Why I didn't google the model number before? I don't know

[www.appliancepartspros.com]

watch the video, I think that's the problem. The condensation pan is dry.
Date: August 11, 2020 05:16PM
....pan.....au....chocolat.......??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 214
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020