Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FU: Mac Mini not starting
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: August 09, 2020 12:29PM
Wah wah wah.

Disassembled and installed $9 battery. Reassembled, push the button and the fan spins for a second and the blue light flashes and...nothing.

Re: FU: Mac Mini not starting
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 09, 2020 12:40PM
Try booting from an external drive?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: PeterW
Date: August 09, 2020 12:43PM
Okay, time for a memory refresh. What variety of mini, what kind of drive(s), anything different when it stopped working?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 09, 2020 01:20PM
At this point, it's starting to seem like there's a problem with the power supply or logic board.

Posted by: hal
Date: August 09, 2020 01:53PM
You said it was a 2012 model, but that sounds like the 2011 model with the AMD Radeon video. When the video card goes bad, that's the end.

You can run the serial number here: [everymac.com] and most likely get the right specs (Not quite always though...)
Date: August 09, 2020 08:54PM
It is indeed a Mac mini (Mid 2011).

It’s got a crucial ssd and 16 gb of crucial ram.

It ran like a top for several years. Then about a year and a half ago it was just never used.

Not sure what happened to it. Guess it just died somehow. When I had it disassembled, everything looked brand new.

Oh well. Depending on cost I might spring for a power supply but a logic board is probably about what the machine is worth.

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 09, 2020 10:06PM
When I had it disassembled, everything looked brand new.

I would suggest opening it up and checking all connections twice.
This is coming from someone guilty of missing a connection during reassembly,
more than once.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 10, 2020 01:05AM
Step 1: did you mess with it?
if yes...

You Fool.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: August 10, 2020 07:09AM
Racer X
Step 1: did you mess with it?
if yes...

You Fool.

Hello? Thats what you are SUPPOSED to do.

Posted by: dk62
Date: August 10, 2020 08:29AM
Don't understand why you thought that battery change would fix anything. This was a fix for a couple of models more than a decade ago (Performas, 6400 series) and did not really affect ability to boot anything later than that, although the myth kept going on. On later models, the only thing that would happen is that the settings would be lost if the machine was unplugged. I had several models with completely dead/removed batteries that worked just fine. A weak (not dead) battery may cause some flaky behavior, but I have never seen it. Some people may think that replacing battery helped simply because it forced PRAM reset.

Sorry, I know this does not help, I just wish people would stop suggesting this as a panacea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2020 08:32AM by dk62.
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 10, 2020 10:16AM
Have you tried booting from an external?

Not likely the problem, but just wondering.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 10, 2020 10:19AM
bazookaman, this probably will not help but since nothing else has and this
thread is veering off-course...
Discovered this voodoo ritual on several DDG search results...
voodoo -
UNPLUG your Mini from AC power!
Try to hold down the power button for exactly 10 seconds and while still holding
down the power button, plug the power cable in, and keep holding the button until
it comes on.
dunno smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2020 10:20AM by MrNoBody.
Date: August 10, 2020 12:29PM
dk62
Don't understand why you thought that battery change would fix anything. This was a fix for a couple of models more than a decade ago (Performas, 6400 series) and did not really affect ability to boot anything later than that, although the myth kept going on. On later models, the only thing that would happen is that the settings would be lost if the machine was unplugged. I had several models with completely dead/removed batteries that worked just fine. A weak (not dead) battery may cause some flaky behavior, but I have never seen it. Some people may think that replacing battery helped simply because it forced PRAM reset.

Sorry, I know this does not help, I just wish people would stop suggesting this as a panacea.

A forumite mentioned it. And absent anything else, it was a pretty cheap test.

Posted by: dk62
Date: August 10, 2020 02:08PM
Yeah, cheap but labor intensive. I seem to remember having a similar issue in the past with an old mini (starts up for a second and then shuts down) and my old brain is incapable of remembering what I did to fix it. But trying to start from an external drive cannot hurt, if you have one.
Date: August 10, 2020 03:31PM
dk62
Yeah, cheap but labor intensive. I seem to remember having a similar issue in the past with an old mini (starts up for a second and then shuts down) and my old brain is incapable of remembering what I did to fix it. But trying to start from an external drive cannot hurt, if you have one.

You would think it would be labor intensive. But after replacing both hard drives in those little guys, replacing the battery was cake. You only need to be able to slide out the logic board. Easy peasy.

I have a couple externals. If I don't have a boot drive laying around I can always make one. I'll give it a shot.

Posted by: fauch
Date: August 13, 2020 02:01PM
SMC reset? Or whatever they are calling it these days?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 172
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020