Re: Babylon 5 complete series $29.99
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 09, 2020 02:58PM
I play iTunes content on my Roku.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 09, 2020 03:42PM
Got similar deal on iTunes some time back; only watched about a half dozen episodes. I need to start watching again; story picks up nicely in S2, as I recall.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 09, 2020 04:14PM
Great show, terrific price.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 09, 2020 04:30PM
....but...Baby.....it's cold out.....side....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: August 09, 2020 04:41PM
Several reviews noted it’s a really bad video transfer. I’m taking a pass, and will eventually buy the DVDs on eBay.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 09, 2020 06:58PM
anonymouse1
Several reviews noted it’s a really bad video transfer. I’m taking a pass, and will eventually buy the DVDs on eBay.

Worse than the DVD transfer? That already is a "bad" transfer. More correctly as good as it could be after WB mislaid the CGI source files and they could not render the CGI at a higher resolution for the DVD release 20+ years ago. Instead they only had the low res images done for TV broadcast. Those were further reduced in quality by being trimmed top and bottom and expanded to 16:9 from 4:3.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 10, 2020 12:01AM
JoeH
anonymouse1

Worse than the DVD transfer? That already is a "bad" transfer. More correctly as good as it could be after WB mislaid the CGI source files and they could not render the CGI at a higher resolution for the DVD release 20+ years ago. Instead they only had the low res images done for TV broadcast. Those were further reduced in quality by being trimmed top and bottom and expanded to 16:9 from 4:3.
THe best version is really the 4:3, if you can find it.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 10, 2020 10:03AM
We have the DVD set which I converted to mp4. The quality is fine on that for sure.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 10, 2020 12:06PM
Hi everyone,

Started watching the first episode this morning. The quality isn't perfect but it's more than dandy. For the price, I'm pleased with it. Besides, my time is valuable and I'm not convinced it'd be cost effective to get the entire set on DVD and go through the trouble of ripping and storing it. In this case, streaming is sufficient and the digital copy is okay, too. I'm good with the purchase.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2020 12:06PM by Robert M.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 164
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020