advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Amazon to turn JC Penney and Sears stores into warehouses?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 09, 2020 04:05PM
[www.engadget.com]

The department stores that anchor shopping malls have struggled to survive in the face of online shopping, but those spaces might find a new lease on life through their greatest foe. Wall Street Journal sources claim Amazon is in talks with mall owner Simon Property Group to convert some of its department store spaces into fulfillment centers. It’s not certain how many stores would become warehouses, but Amazon is reportedly looking at either stepping into empty JC Penney and Sears stores or else buying locations that are still in use.

Amazon is also said to be talking to multiple mall owners about putting its future low-cost grocery stores in former JC Penney spaces, although those won’t necessarily come to Simon-owned malls.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Amazon to turn JC Penney and Sears stores into warehouses?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 09, 2020 04:11PM
Fate is so cruel.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 09, 2020 04:14PM
Parasites moving into their deceased hosts to feast on its remains.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 09, 2020 04:17PM
Innovators Dilemma.

Sears could have embraced the internet and made the transition easily - they were Amazon before Amazon as the national mail-order business.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 09, 2020 04:17PM
The main issue I see is those stores are in urban areas that would not be good for the tractor-trailer traffics a warehouse needs.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 04:18PM by Ombligo.
Date: August 09, 2020 04:20PM
Ombligo
The main issue I see is those stores are in urban areas that would not be good for the tractor-trailer traffics a warehouse needs.

First thing that popped into my head too.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: August 09, 2020 04:22PM
Ombligo

I did the Chattanooga tour of an Amazon facility. They have many different levels and sizes of Delivery and Fulfillment Centers that these large spaces and access areas could be retrofitted for.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 04:23PM by graylocks.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 09, 2020 04:56PM
Ombligo

Big Rigs unload at night and fill up the warehouse
Vans and Cars go out all day long

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: August 09, 2020 04:59PM
That's assuming that the community and the road infrastructure can accommodate, or that the community wants to.

The one I am thinking of is just outside the N Seattle city limits. Freestanding Sears store, huge parking lot. But a REAL PITA to add truck traffic to. Would disrupt the whole area, which is a transit hub of sorts. But there is a low income apartment complex going in there I believe, so that could mean willing workers who could walk to work.

Posted by: Acer
Date: August 09, 2020 06:05PM
Many malls have a steady stream of truck traffic already. The newer ones were often built very close to major highways. Speaking for two closed Sears and a KMart in my area, you'd be hard pressed to notice another truck among the many that already ply the roads nearby. But this is a chance for NIMBY to step in to muck things up.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 09, 2020 07:26PM
I tried to search for something at Sears.com the other day and that painful. I thought well what else don't they and tried a few more things and it's basically nothing.

Grateful11
Posted by: p8712
Date: August 09, 2020 07:31PM
sekker
Innovators Dilemma.

Sears could have embraced the internet and made the transition easily - they were Amazon before Amazon as the national mail-order business.

Considering Sears was intentionally run into the ground I don’t think anyone was ever seriously interested in the Internet.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 09, 2020 07:40PM
p8712
sekker
Innovators Dilemma.

Considering Sears was intentionally run into the ground I don’t think anyone was ever seriously interested in the Internet.

I think sekker is referring to a time even earlier than under Eddie Lampert over the last 15 years. That would be in the mid-'90s when the management got rid of their catalog operation because it had a slight downturn during that late '80s-early '90s recession. They decided to close their small store and concentrate on their big stores in malls. Malls already were not the place to go by then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 07:41PM by JoeH.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 09, 2020 09:56PM
Ombligo

While true for a major Amz Dist. Ctr., a local service ('last mile') warehouse wouldn't
have that level of traffic.
Amazon's big facilities seem to share two primary requirements; proximity
to Interstate Highways and freight rail access.
Newport, DE (former GM plant) and Sparrows Point, MD (former steel plant) are
two recent examples that conform. Both also have access to port facilities.

Maybe Amz would use mall store locations to include customer service facilities
to enable pick-ups, returns, and possibly seller drop-offs?

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Date: August 09, 2020 10:22PM
Seattle does have a "last mile" depot just a mile from the Sears store I am thinking of. That store could really make a huge difference in opening up Shoreline to Amazon same day or 2 hour service, or even putting in an Amazon Fresh location as well. Not that I think that is best for the community, but from a business move, it really has merit.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 09, 2020 10:23PM
....where is Seattle Grace......located.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: August 09, 2020 11:54PM
doesn't exist. But kinda sorta the south base of Queen Anne Hill.

Station 19 spin-off. Exteriors, Station 20 in Interbay, between Magnolia and Queen Anne. Interior design styling is taken from downtown Station 10 at south end of 4th Ave near International District.

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 10, 2020 09:15AM
I suspect that Amazon is going to be switching to all electric vehicles and working on having smaller delivery vehicles for the last mile.

In related news, is JC Penny still in business? I thought they went out of business about 20 years ago. I heard anything about them for at least 2 decades.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: d4
Date: August 10, 2020 09:34AM
Sounds better than having those old cavernous JCPenny/Sears locations go abandoned. Hopefully the many Amazon workers will stimulate the local economy. There's an Amazon Fulfillment center in the heart of urban Manhattan. There's also one a few miles from my house in the suburbs.

Date: August 10, 2020 09:46AM
......nope.....you don't want Amazon to extend its monopoly.........

Date: August 10, 2020 09:58AM
ztirffritz
In related news, is JC Penny still in business? I thought they went out of business about 20 years ago. I heard anything about them for at least 2 decades.

Yes, still in business. Hard to miss news about them over the last 20 years, one big item here about 9 years ago was when they hired Ron Johnson away from Apple to boost their retailing. A year and half later it was his firing. They are often mentioned in other stories as being one of the remaining of the Sears, Montgomery Wards, etc catalog stores. They did file for Chapter 11 in May.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: August 10, 2020 10:48AM
NewtonMP2100
......nope.....you don't want Amazon to extend its monopoly.........

Walmart is a far bigger monopoly. They command something like 2-3X the retail dollar than Amazon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2020 10:50AM by Carnos Jax.
Date: August 10, 2020 11:24AM
....yes, but Walmart is limited to 'store items'......Amazon's reach extends far beyond that.....they have Amazon Prime [ Walmart Vudu failed ].....Alexa.......Fire tablet.....groceries.....etc......

.....Walmart has tried to expand to other areas but have mostly failed.......Amazon has the potential to dominate everything......they already eliminated all books stores, then after they did that, they established Amazon book stores......they bought Whole Foods to get a foothold in groceries and established some self-serve food stores [ test stores ].........etc........

......yes, Walmart has over dominance in one area.......but Amazon has 'Big Brother' potential.....

Date: August 10, 2020 12:48PM
ztirffritz
I suspect that Amazon is going to be switching to all electric vehicles and working on having smaller delivery vehicles for the last mile.

Amazon doesn't actually deliver the last mile. they have a multitude of Delivery Service Providers (DSP) that handle that. while they may hope the DSPs convert there are too many of them needed for Amazon to require they go electric. the DSPs range from small mom & pop operations to much larger companies. it's rare that i get an Amazon ordered delivered by UPS or USPS these days.

my son has been a DSP driver for a month now. Amazon shirt. Amazon branded vehicles. in another two months he'll have Amazon benefits. But his paycheck is not from Amazon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2020 12:50PM by graylocks.
Date: August 10, 2020 03:28PM
NewtonMP2100
....yes, but Walmart is limited to 'store items'......Amazon's reach extends far beyond that.....they have Amazon Prime [ Walmart Vudu failed ].....Alexa.......Fire tablet.....groceries.....etc......

.....Walmart has tried to expand to other areas but have mostly failed.......Amazon has the potential to dominate everything......they already eliminated all books stores, then after they did that, they established Amazon book stores......they bought Whole Foods to get a foothold in groceries and established some self-serve food stores [ test stores ].........etc........

......yes, Walmart has over dominance in one area.......but Amazon has 'Big Brother' potential.....

You’re talking about potential. Walmart is dominating here and now. Plus everything you keep mentioning has several major players already dominating (YouTube, Netflix, Apple TV, myriad of grocery stores, Google Home, Siri, etc.) This is farcical. It’s like crying wolf while the foxes are already in the henhouse.
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 10, 2020 03:54PM
I'll use your bones to bake me bread.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 10, 2020 06:43PM
They're going to. They've saturated the capacity of UPS and FedEx and USPS. The next option is to start their own delivery service. They've already ordered 10,000 delivery vehicles from Rivian. I think that they're sniffing around Arcimoto too. They dropped a few billion dollars investment into Rivian as well.

graylocks
ztirffritz

Amazon doesn't actually deliver the last mile. they have a multitude of Delivery Service Providers (DSP) that handle that. while they may hope the DSPs convert there are too many of them needed for Amazon to require they go electric. the DSPs range from small mom & pop operations to much larger companies. it's rare that i get an Amazon ordered delivered by UPS or USPS these days.

my son has been a DSP driver for a month now. Amazon shirt. Amazon branded vehicles. in another two months he'll have Amazon benefits. But his paycheck is not from Amazon.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: August 10, 2020 07:55PM
ztirffritz
They're going to. They've saturated the capacity of UPS and FedEx and USPS. The next option is to start their own delivery service. They've already ordered 10,000 delivery vehicles from Rivian. I think that they're sniffing around Arcimoto too. They dropped a few billion dollars investment into Rivian as well.

You wouldn't happen to know a delivery time frame on those?

Nevermind. Found my answer here. And you're a little off. Amazon ordered 100,000 trucks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2020 08:01PM by graylocks.
Date: August 10, 2020 08:48PM
Carnos Jax
NewtonMP2100

You’re talking about potential. Walmart is dominating here and now. Plus everything you keep mentioning has several major players already dominating (YouTube, Netflix, Apple TV, myriad of grocery stores, Google Home, Siri, etc.) This is farcical. It’s like crying wolf while the foxes are already in the henhouse.

.....here and now Walmart is only dominated in a limited arena......here and now Amazon is dominating Walmart in that arena.......

....the smart person doesn't look at now.....but is able to see what might/can be going ahead.....

......Sears and J.C. Penney were dominant way back when but they didn't have to foresight to update with the times.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2020 08:49PM by NewtonMP2100.
Date: August 10, 2020 09:31PM
Walmart i makes 2-3 times as much as Amazon, how does that translate to Walmart is dominating Amazon? No one can predict the future. Calling Amazon a monopoly now because of what might happen in the future doesn’t make any sense.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 10, 2020 09:38PM
Maybe Amazon can stock the stores for walk-in retail sales.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 10, 2020 09:50PM
....take a look at how many amazon packages in a building/neighborhood in a given day/week.......there are more Amazon packages than Walmart packages.....and Amazon tends to charge full price or more.....Walmart usually charges the lowest prices......

Date: August 10, 2020 10:16PM
You're looking at your own little world. Here in suburban America, Walmart packages FAR outnumber Amazon packages. Still, even my perspective can be argumentatively limited. But facts don't lie. Walmart commands 2-3 times the retail spending that Amazon does, and that is in stark contrast to your perspective.

BTW, Walmart does not usually charge the lowest prices any more so than anyone else. People primarily go to Amazon because their prices are low. Same argument can be made for the other major retailers like Target, Kroger, Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Again, you're perception of reality is not in agreement with other peoples experiences (sorry, couldn't resist your sig wink smiley).

I get it, you just don't like Amazon. Even I am weary about big corporate entities (and specifically Amazon....even though my business success is tied to them), but I think they're all evil empires of a sort. But it's a little too late for that now...you, me and the rest of America let that happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2020 10:18PM by Carnos Jax.
Date: August 10, 2020 10:28PM
NewtonMP2100
....take a look at how many amazon packages in a building/neighborhood in a given day/week.......there are more Amazon packages than Walmart packages.....and Amazon tends to charge full price or more.....Walmart usually charges the lowest prices......

Carnos Jax has a point about your perspective. Amazon delivery trucks abound where I live but it is nothing compared to the foot traffic to Walmart stores. There are at least 6 within a nine mile radius of me on the southside of atlanta and the parking lots stay pretty full.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2020 10:29PM by graylocks.
Date: August 10, 2020 10:35PM
....Amazon prices used to be lowest, at least when they had deals when they were starting out......less deals now......most are regular prices are at or above regular prices........I know because I price compare alot.......

.....Walmart prices are not as low as they used to be but they still tend to be the lowest, even than Target (usually by a few cents).........most def lower than Amazon.......people buy at Amazon because of the variety (you can find stuff easier, even hard to find) and convenience......not for price......

Date: August 10, 2020 10:56PM
NewtonMP2100
....Amazon prices used to be lowest, at least when they had deals when they were starting out......less deals now......most are regular prices are at or above regular prices........I know because I price compare alot.......

.....Walmart prices are not as low as they used to be but they still tend to be the lowest, even than Target (usually by a few cents).........most def lower than Amazon.......people buy at Amazon because of the variety (you can find stuff easier, even hard to find) and convenience......not for price......

this i agree with. for me Amazon is a trade-off of convenience vs price.

Date: August 10, 2020 11:48PM
And convenience has a quantitative value. You can assign a dollar amount to your time, your gas, and other factors involved in going to the store for one or two items.

We comparison shop also, and we hardly buy stuff from Walmart. Mostly it’s target, Kroger, and Amazon
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 11, 2020 10:16AM
NewtonMP2100

One needs to check Walmart products to ensure that they are identical when doing price comparisons. I had several clients that made products specifically for Walmart. Often, they cut corners or features to meet Walmart's pricing requirements. Some of the food items used more salt and less seasonings to reduce cost.
Date: August 11, 2020 01:31PM
macphanatic
NewtonMP2100

One needs to check Walmart products to ensure that they are identical when doing price comparisons. I had several clients that made products specifically for Walmart. Often, they cut corners or features to meet Walmart's pricing requirements. Some of the food items used more salt and less seasonings to reduce cost.

This is one of the reasons I stopped buying at Walmart, haven't been in one in around 10 years and will not order from them online. In the case of clothing it will be thinner cloth, poorer construction methods, lesser quality zippers and fasteners, and so on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 182
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020